Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    I am going through genetics question paper as thats my only weak spot :p:
    So lucky....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HotCoco.)
    Can someone explain to me "how genetic markers in plasmids can be used to identify the bacteria that have taken up a recombinant plasmid?" It hurts my brain.
    Simply:
    Fluorescence: insert a gene for fluorescence into the plasmid, and shine a UV light on all the bacteria. any bacteria that glow have taken up the other gene
    Antibiotic resistance: as above, insert a gene for antibiotic resistance, place all bacteria on an agar plate with the antibiotic for with you have given some resistance, and any that survive have taken up the other gene as well.

that any help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ItsNeverLupus)
    Confused now as the book seems to say H-zone :confused:
    I doubt they would penalise it if you put zone instead of band (or vice versa depending) though saying that this is OCR! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain to me "how genetic markers in plasmids can be used to identify the bacteria that have taken up a recombinant plasmid?" It hurts my brain.
    Marker genes, or genetic markers, are used to identify recombinants, also known as transformed bacteria (eh too many names).

1. Markers inserted into the vectors (bacteria, virus, dead alien, etc) at the SAME TIME as your desired gene. So, wht you want are the plasmids with the marker and the gene. Ones with only the gene are practically invisible to you. Got that? Good.

2. The bacteria's grown on agar plates to create a colony. So, you'll have a colony of undesired bacteria and a colony of, let's call them The X Factor bacteria. The Leona Lewis of the agar plate.

3. There are two ways the marker gene can show up:

a) It can give antibiotic resistance -
    i.e. when you grow the bacteria on antibiotics, only the marked ones will grow, everyone else will die out. From there you can deduce which ones are The X Factor.

b) It can give pwetty fluorescent colours! -
    i.e. when you put the agar plate under UV light, it looks like a mini Blackpool - the markers will fluoresce.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dopeyangel101)
    Simply:
    Fluorescence: insert a gene for fluorescence into the plasmid, and shine a UV light on all the bacteria. any bacteria that glow have taken up the other gene
    Antibiotic resistance: as above, insert a gene for antibiotic resistance, place all bacteria on an agar plate with the antibiotic for with you have given some resistance, and any that survive have taken up the other gene as well.

that any help?
    Is this fluorescence stuff in the purple book with the brain on it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talon19921992)
    I doubt they would penalise it if you put zone instead of band (or vice versa depending) though saying that this is OCR! :p:

If you put zone instead of band, the examiner's going to have to pull out a repeat prescription for Ventolin inhaler.

...so everyone, put zone instead of band! lol j/k

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    I am going through genetics question paper as thats my only weak spot :p:
    please stop showing off LOL :P
    urghhh i gave up on the question papers, maybe will do some genetic cross ones later
    did some earlier and almost had a panic attack, the markscheme scares me the most

ReputationRep:
    So... is everyone excited for tomorrow!!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to the above posters for answering my questions . I don't recall the florescent marker stuff being in the textbook though....

ReputationRep:
    SO EXCITED
    seriously i need kalms jsut to calm my excitment

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to the above posters for answering my questions . I don't recall the florescent marker stuff being in the textbook though....
    Neither do I, I guess it's handy to know though.

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea anymore.

I don't want to do the exam, but if it got cancelled I'd probably cry because I stressed out so much. But then again, I'd get over it pretty damn quick let me tell you :yep:

ReputationRep:
    The gorilla stuff was boring me so I decided to type it up:

Social behaviour refers to the organisation within a group of organisms so that each memeber has a well defined role. An example of social behaviour is that of gorillas, whereby they live in small collections of indviduals that are called troops. This consists of one dominant male that is the silverback male, several mature females and their offsrping. The arrangement can be reffered to as being heirachial, as different members have different roles, and the members with the more important roles have benefits such as access to more food or ability to mate with females. The dominant male is in charge of leading the troop to food, and protecting them, he also has an important role in the upbringing of the younger males. the mature females leave the group to avoid inbreeding, and the males leave to avoid conflict with the silverback.
    There are advantges to social behaviour:
    - the gorillas only give birth to one or few offspring and as it is the role of the female to care for the offspring it increases the rates of survival. THe babies stay with the mother suckling at hourly intervals, and after several months only begin to venture away from her.
    - they can communicate using a wide variety of facial expressions and signals and calls, enabling for recognition of group members and notifiying members of danger, which enhances survival
    -learning (imprinting) is an important part of development for younger males, they learn through play and influence of the silverback.
    -knowledge of food sources shared in the group.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chuck111)
    SO EXCITED
    seriously i need kalms jsut to calm my excitment
    OMG someone else who takes Kalms! High five! lol no

Do they work for you? I'm taking Boots Sharp Mind supplements as well, but I think they're cancelling each other out...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The TSR Star.)
    Is this fluorescence stuff in the purple book with the brain on it?
    cant find it in there, but its easy to learn :yep:
    and they usually ask for TWO ways, so i just go with the ones i have previously mentioned

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noodlecookie)
    OMG someone else who takes Kalms! High five! lol no

Do they work for you? I'm taking Boots Sharp Mind supplements as well, but I think they're cancelling each other out...!
    I take kalms sometimes but i mostly use rescue remedy
    lol look at me the druggie
    I dont know why but i think all these meds jsut cause a placebo effect and you jsut calm yourself down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chuck111)
    I take kalms sometimes but i mostly use rescue remedy
    lol look at me the druggie
    I dont know why but i think all these meds jsut cause a placebo effect and you jsut calm yourself down
    LOL same here except i'm like a temporary druggie, I only start taking supplements when I'm doing my exams or it's hayfever season

I agree with you there, although sometimes it's a kinda reverse placebo effect... sometimes I take it and I end up even worse!

ReputationRep:
    I take Kalms AND rescue remedy lol, carry one of each in all my bags, its ridiculous lol
    and I'm such a wreck without them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dopeyangel101)
    I take Kalms AND rescue remedy lol, carry one of each in all my bags, its ridiculous lol
    and I'm such a wreck without them!
    ahah me too,
    once i panicked so much cus id forgotten the rescue remedy at home
    then i panicked even more LOL
    not good :mad: :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Three important points on Outbreeding:
    1) Increases Reproductive sucess overall.
    2) Increases Genetic diversity.
    3)Increases heterozygosity and decreases homozygosity.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 29, 2014
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.