Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TX22)
    for calculating chisquared will they give you values in the table?
    Chances are they'll give you a half-finished table or give you all the info you need to finish a table (I can't see them making you draw a table, I think that'd just waste time). So you calculate the expected results, then the O-E squared, then O-E squared over E, then total.

For the values, they'll tell you "the critical value for XX with XX degrees of freedom is XX.Eexplain whether or not your calculated value supports Bob McBob's hypothesis."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TX22)
    for calculating chisquared will they give you values in the table?
    yes

ReputationRep:
    What do we need to know about GM food? Thaaaanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rayray10)
    What do we need to know about GM food? Thaaaanks
    yes....Golden Rice

ReputationRep:
    Is that all? Cheers

ReputationRep:
    just reading through the spec i found "state that cyclic AMP activates proteins by altering their three-dimensional structure." There's nothing on this in my textbook. Can anyone explain this to me, or is it just a case of being able to state it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rayray10)
    Is that all? Cheers
    Golden Rice is the only GM crop that you have to know about, but you have to know about genetically engineered insulin and genetically engineered transplants... are you ok with those?

ReputationRep:
    what is the difference between vegetative propagation and tissue culture?

and how can vegetative propagation be used in agriculture?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathmagician)
    just reading through the spec i found "state that cyclic AMP activates proteins by altering their three-dimensional structure." There's nothing on this in my textbook. Can anyone explain this to me, or is it just a case of being able to state it?
    just state it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathmagician)
    You have to know that cAMP activates proteins by altering their shape. I think you might need an example in your ammo too:

PKA, protein kinase A is made up of four subunits (looks like two hole-y Coco Pops stuck to two Rice Krispies).

When cAMP isn't bound, the four units are stuck together and are inactive.

When cAMP binds, it changes its 3D structure (what you said) and releases the active subunits (Rice Krispies) - it's now active.

REMEMBER it's a secondary messenger!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noodlecookie)
    Golden Rice is the only GM crop that you have to know about, but you have to know about genetically engineered insulin and genetically engineered transplants... are you ok with those?
    I can do genetically engineered insulin, but not transplants. Can you explain that please? Thank you so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Archen)
    what is the difference between vegetative propagation and tissue culture?

and how can vegetative propagation be used in agriculture?
    Vegetative propagation is natural. Tissue culture isn't, it needs manhandling.

I am not aware of vegetative propagation in agriculture... the only example I had to learn was elm trees and Dutch elm disease...

ReputationRep:
    You have to know that cAMP activates proteins by altering their shape. I think you might need an example in your ammo too:

PKA, protein kinase A is made up of four subunits (looks like two hole-y Coco Pops stuck to two Rice Krispies).

When cAMP isn't bound, the four units are stuck together and are inactive.

When cAMP binds, it changes its 3D structure (what you said) and releases the active subunits (Rice Krispies) - it's now active.

REMEMBER it's a secondary messenger!
    this lends itself nicely to a synoptic question about protein kinase and its role in the break down of glycogen to glucose

ReputationRep:
    is this exam in the morning or afternoon?

ReputationRep:
    Vegetative propagation is natural. Tissue culture isn't, it needs manhandling.

I am not aware of vegetative propagation in agriculture... the only example I had to learn was elm trees and Dutch elm disease...
    i had a look:
    strawberries
    potatoes

apparently both use vegetative propagation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chuck111)
    lol looks like this is TSR's answer to racism lol
    omg you are greeeeeeeat!!!!

okay, not that anyone cares, but bye. I've finished with the revision now. Cramming doesn't help me :| Good luck for tomorrow, hopefully it'd be a real good biology paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    is this exam in the morning or afternoon?
    Morning

ReputationRep:
    Hi all hope biology revision is going well, just wondered if anyone can sum up these two points from the spec for me please:

# explain the significance of the various concepts of the species, with reference to the biological species concept and the phylogenetic species concept.

# Describe how artificial selection has been used to produce bread wheat

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Also, can someone explain how you sequence DNA using BACs? My teacher only went through the chain termination method and I can't find my textbook :/

ReputationRep:
    MSN: [email protected]

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 29, 2014
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.