The Student Room Group

OCR 2010 A2 Biology Unit 2 - Control, Genome and Environment

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3140
anyone revised calorimetry?
Reply 3141
steph_v
I've not revised AS or the first A2 unit at all. I don't think I'll bother, if I remember it, I remember it, if not, it shouldn't be too many marks dropped, I don't want to overload my brain with stuff when I've only just properly learnt this unit.

I'm not going to university this year anyway, because I messed up my maths exam today and made it impossible for me to get a B (before people tell me I haven't, I have, I didn't answer enough questions to get the grade I need so, yes, I have missed my AAB offer), so if I really do mess up this exam, it's not the end of the world, because I'm taking a gap year to resit anyway. Takes the pressure off a bit.

:hugs:

Sorry to hear that about the maths exam. A gap year will be a fantastic opportunity for you to fulfill your desire to travel, work, volunteer, or whatever takes your fancy! Seriously, I think it will only make the offer that you will inevitably get next time around all the more sweeter.

I wish you all the best :smile:
im an idiot, ive got everything to revise for the first time tonight :frown:
anybody know the answer to this
if an allele is caused by a mutation how many mutations of bases would there have to be for it to be a completely new gene rather than just an allele?
Reply 3143
steph_v
I've not revised AS or the first A2 unit at all. I don't think I'll bother, if I remember it, I remember it, if not, it shouldn't be too many marks dropped, I don't want to overload my brain with stuff when I've only just properly learnt this unit.

I'm not going to university this year anyway, because I messed up my maths exam today and made it impossible for me to get a B (before people tell me I haven't, I have, I didn't answer enough questions to get the grade I need so, yes, I have missed my AAB offer), so if I really do mess up this exam, it's not the end of the world, because I'm taking a gap year to resit anyway. Takes the pressure off a bit.

Sorry to hear about your Maths exam :frown: Just wondering though why (according to your info on the bottom) did you put RVC which is AAA as insurance to Liverpool which was AAB?
Anyone else hate how the questions are worded?

The last one for Q1 on the spec paper! I know its to do with the Lac Operon, but linking it to the environment was tricky! :frown:
clad in armour
im an idiot, ive got everything to revise for the first time tonight :frown:
anybody know the answer to this
if an allele is caused by a mutation how many mutations of bases would there have to be for it to be a completely new gene rather than just an allele?

:O why starting it all tonight ??
Reply 3146
Good luck for tomorrow everyone - I probably won't be coming back on tonight unless I have an urgent need to ask something. I trust there will be someone doing an all nighter :p:

I'll see you on the other side brothers. :smile:
aimz08
I meant masks right? :P

& the predict the ratios syllabus point? Is it just learning 9:3:4 for recessive and 12:3:1 for dominant?

Yea it masks lol.

Yep for dominant it could also be 13:3 though as well as 12 : 3 : 1
I'd also be aware that complementary epistasis is 9:7
Chunkeymonkey62
Anyone else hate how the questions are worded?

The last one for Q1 on the spec paper! I know its to do with the Lac Operon, but linking it to the environment was tricky! :frown:

lol yer i was like WTF...umm thought there was a misprint or sumthing then I read the statement properly and jsut listed everything I knew about the lac operon when lactose was present
steph_v
Hey, you should have seen me this morning, I cried for a solid 2 hours, I was very melodramatic and kept saying my life is ruined, blah, blah, blah. Part of me still thinks it is, because the admissions process for veterinary is so stressful and difficult, and there's no guarantee I will get another offer. But I'm trying to be realistic now. A gap year, even retaking modules, would be a lovely break and I could finally do the traveling I want to do.

Edit: What is your offer? And where for?

My offer? Ah, well, you see... :biggrin:

I initially applied for dentistry at Liverpool/Leeds, but some time in October of last year had a massive breakdown and decided that I wanted to study English and Communication Studies instead ahehe...

So, I only have one firm choice, no insurance, to Liverpool Uni. I need AAB, one A being from English language, the other A from Biology.

I took a haayuuge U-turn :rolleyes: :biggrin:
_lynx_
Good luck for tomorrow everyone - I probably won't be coming back on tonight unless I have an urgent need to ask something. I trust there will be someone doing an all nighter :p:

I'll see you on the other side brothers. :smile:

I'm waking up at 5am, if that helps! :p:
Reply 3151
Is there any point doing the specimen paper now or should I carry on learning things?
Reply 3152
noodlecookie
I'm waking up at 5am, if that helps! :p:

Me too :P What time you gonna sleep?
Reply 3153
aimz08
Is there any point doing the specimen paper now or should I carry on learning things?

I'm going to school two hour earlier so I can do the paper then......
cram in as much revision as I can before the real deal......:p:
what do you guys think is it better to...stay up untill 2am then sleep untill I have to leave for the exam or sleep early like 11:30 then wake up at like 5:30/6 then do a little bit of revision
Reply 3155
I'm going to stay up till 2 or 3, bed till 8. Bus at 8.30. Exam at 9.

I haven't revised for about 3 hours now. I'm on a break.
DR_X
I'm going to school two hour earlier so I can do the paper then......
cram in as much revision as I can before the real deal......:p:

lol If i did the specimen that close to the exam, id have a mental breakdown if I got a question wrong and ill probably fail cus of panicking than anything else
Mit321
Sorry to hear about your Maths exam :frown: Just wondering though why (according to your info on the bottom) did you put RVC which is AAA as insurance to Liverpool which was AAB?

Liverpool has always been my favourite, so it was the obvious first choice. I didn't want to full on reject the offer from RVC, because that seemed ridiculous considering how hard it is to only get one offer for Veterinary Science. So, even though I can't actually go there, I had nothing to lose by putting it as my insurance. Also, RVC have been known to accept people with less than the required grades, so it was worth a shot. I know I'll be phoning them both up on results day, begging them to take me :p:
Reply 3158
aimz08

I would do it, I often do Specimens the day before and I think doing questions and looking at the markschemes are some of the best revision you can do. Its all I've done all day!
aimz08
Me too :P What time you gonna sleep?

BTW, this is to answer to you as well chuck111

I'm going to sleep at 10pm maybe 11pm depending on how i feel, I think it's better if I cast a fresh eye over my notes in the morning hence I'm waking up early.

I think if you stayed up til 2am you'll forget half the stuff you looked at when you were dozing off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending