Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steph_v)
    Liverpool has always been my favourite, so it was the obvious first choice. I didn't want to full on reject the offer from RVC, because that seemed ridiculous considering how hard it is to only get one offer for Veterinary Science. So, even though I can't actually go there, I had nothing to lose by putting it as my insurance. Also, RVC have been known to accept people with less than the required grades, so it was worth a shot. I know I'll be phoning them both up on results day, begging them to take me :p:
    Ah ok! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CreativeBass)
    http://bcs.whfreeman.com/thelifewire...7/4702001.html

Guys, the animation on this on the sliding filament theory is really useful, thought i'd share it with you
    Thanks. That's helped me with muscle filaments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chuck111)
    what do you guys think is it better to...stay up untill 2am then sleep untill I have to leave for the exam or sleep early like 11:30 then wake up at like 5:30/6 then do a little bit of revision

I'm no expert but I'd say wake up early.
    And make sure you have a good breakfast :yep: I recommend coffee, cereal of some sort (or maybe even porridge whatever floats your boat) and a banana

I've got so much to do and I'm getting distracted by springwatch.. so I think I'll be up at 5 too!
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    I'm off to call it a night I think. Might get up early, like maybe 5 or something .
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    Anyone explain the what we need to know for the biological and phylogenetic species concepts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinkerbelle ♥)
    I've got so much to do and I'm getting distracted by springwatch.. so I think I'll be up at 5 too!
    Distracted by Springwatch? There's a first :p:

I'm "watching" Brazil and North Korea, surprisingly not as many vuvuzelas...

ReputationRep:
    So do we need to know ANYTHING about cAMP for this module? If so, what???

ReputationRep:
    right here goes learning the details of what happens in chromosomes of meiosis for the first time..this is going to take me at least two hours

im already feeling sleepy ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinkerbelle ♥)
    I'm no expert but I'd say wake up early.
    And make sure you have a good breakfast :yep: I recommend coffee, cereal of some sort (or maybe even porridge whatever floats your boat) and a banana

yer i think ill do the same, hmm porridge , ill defo have that tommorow morning
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by ratherbesurfing)
    So do we need to know ANYTHING about cAMP for this module? If so, what???

It alters the shape of protein molecules, hence activating them. It makes them a better fit for the enzyme's active site. It is a secondary messenger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skatealexia)
    Anyone explain the what we need to know for the biological and phylogenetic species concepts?
    Ah, easy! I revised this first thing last Monday morning and haven't forgotten it!

Biological species concept was basically the first theory that scientists came up with and it was just to study the reproductive behaviours of organisms, as the definition of a species is a group of similar organisms who can reproduce to make fertile offspring. Immediately there's problems with this.

1. What if it's extinct? What do you do then?
    2. What about bacteria? That reproduces asexually by binary fission... it never reproduces with anything else
    3. Er, who wants to breed a human and a chimp to see if they're truly different??? Technical term: ethical issue!!

So the scientists came up with the phylogenetic species concept, which is the study of the relatives, or evolutionary history, of the organism.

All organisms have a common ancestor, so the more closely related they are to that, the more recently their common ancestor will be.

The definition of phylogenetics is the study of what's related to what and how closely. So if something's really different to something else, it's a new species. If it's similar, chances are it's the same species.

... Chances are. It may not be. But how do you know? There is not cut-off point to exactly how different each species must be. Chimps and humans share 94% of DNA, yet we're different species. Problemo.

ReputationRep:
    I have finished reading through all of chuck111's notes

and now for a break and then i am gonna go over the notes and probably look over the specimen. probably gonna get up early in the morning for quick read again.

can't wait for this time tomorrow when its all over!!

ReputationRep:
    I will cry with EXCITEMENT if loads on genetic engineering comes up. Everyone pray that loads on DNA PCR and muscle contraction comes up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lulabell1)
    right here goes learning the details of what happens in chromosomes of meiosis for the first time..this is going to take me at least two hours

im already feeling sleepy ...
    If it helps, meiosis 1 is the same as meiosis 2, except for meiosis 2 you replace the word "chromosome" with "chromatid".

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone, see you tomorrow for the dissection!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chuck111)
    :O why starting it all tonight ??
    been ill and that, Im shocked, some people on here finished about a month ago

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noodlecookie)
    Distracted by Springwatch? There's a first :p:
    I know it's sad isn't it. That's what being a (future) zoologist does to you :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CreativeBass)
    http://bcs.whfreeman.com/thelifewire...7/4702001.html

Guys, the animation on this on the sliding filament theory is really useful, thought i'd share it with you
    wow thats really good

so jsut to clarify, when the myosin heads bind to the actin ADP + Pi is released as the crossbridge is formed and as they are stable in this form ATP is required to break the cross brdige???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TX22)
    I will cry with EXCITEMENT if loads on genetic engineering comes up. Everyone pray that loads on DNA PCR and muscle contraction comes up.
    Praying for muscle contraction, transcription/translation and inheritance crosses.

...What the everloving fluff is PCR.

Oh no hang on is that ADP into ATP with P coming from phosphocreatine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    been ill and that, Im shocked, some people on here finished about a month ago
    aww being ill sucks
    well i wish you all the best as its alot to cover

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.