Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I'm thinking the hardy wienberg stuff is going to come up tomorrow so i was just looking for some questions and found some decent ones, thought you guys might like to have a go at them http://www.indiana.edu/~l111/handouts/hardy.htm (there a bit complex with the questions but work through the steps which is what we need to be able to do, and it comes with answers)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hopes)
    Hey guys, I'm thinking the hardy wienberg stuff is going to come up tomorrow so i was just looking for some questions and found some decent ones, thought you guys might like to have a go at them http://www.indiana.edu/~l111/handouts/hardy.htm (there a bit complex with the questions but work through the steps which is what we need to be able to do, and it comes with answers)
    Done these questions in class, they're quite easy and worth doing. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Fight or flight for anyone that's still up..

1) perception of threat from auditory or visual stimulus

2) this activates hypothalamus which stimulates sympathetic nervous system and triggers release of adrenaline

3) hypothalamus also release corticotropin-releasing factor which stimulates the release of ACTH from the anterior pituitary gland

4) ACTH stimulates release of a number of hormones from adrenal cortex

These changes are responsible for the physiological changes in flight or fight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hopes)
    :woo: thank youuuuu ,you'r a life saver

ReputationRep:
    Some quickfire qu's for anyone wanting to flex their muscles:

- 3 ways giving variation in meiosis?
    - describe innate behavoir
    - Advantages of social behaviour in gorillas / baboons etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by radical07)

Crossing over of chromatids, random distribution of chromatids in Meiosis II & random distribution and segregation of maternal and paternal chromosomes in meiosis I.
    Fertilisation: Different combinations of egg and sperm cell from genetically unrelated individuals

Right or wrong ?

ReputationRep:

in crossing over with non-sister chromatids, the random arrangement and assorsment in metaphase 1.. and same again for metaphase 2

a behaviour an animal is capable of from birth without any learning or practise

enhances survival rate, knowledge of food sources shared, helping each other to detect predators

probably missed loads out... it's late!

ReputationRep:

1. Crossing over, Reassortment of chromomes (metaphase1) Reassortment of chromatids (metaphase2)

2. Innate behaviour occurs in invertebrates that live isolated short life spans, allows them to escape predators, find food, find and live in suitable habitat. Specific examples:

Reflexes such as an escape reflex which follows a specific behavioural sequence upon being exposed to a certain stimulus.

Kineses which is non directional orientated behaviour where the rate of movement of an organism increases when its in infavourable conditions i.e woodlice prefer to be in dark damp conditions therefore escape the light avoid drying out and being eat

Taxes which is the same as the above but basically with a direction i.e photo/chemotaxix.

3. Advantages include:

One infant born at a time therefore maternal care and group protection increase survival rate.

Infants learn through observing other members of the group and learned behaviour is vital to survive

Final relative large brain size of gorilla's slows down the maturation

food source and protection is shared within the group

Danger is more easily detected and defferd as members of the group work together.

mind the spelling, im tired and its late

ReputationRep:
    1) Crossing over at prophase (combination of new alleles). Also random mutation or even random assortment of chromatids/maternal and paternal chromosomes

2) Innate: not learned, stereotypical..genetically determined

3) one born at time - better care of the young from the parent/ young learns from group e.g through observation/ have communication skills they learn them from other members of the group/ large brain size, slows maturation...

ReputationRep:

1-independant assortement
    2-crossing over at prophase 1
    3-not sure

innate behaviour is a behaviour that is determined by the genome of the organism
    it is not affected by the environment
    no difference in the behaviour within the same species
    passed to offspring

social behaviours increase survival chance for infant gorillas as they will be safe under the protection of the troop
    they stay close to mothers ,this allows them o learn survival tips from mother and develop thier insight learned behaviours.
    knowledge of food location and predator location can be shared by the whole troop.agian this increases survival.

ReputationRep:
    Any more questions before i knock myself out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toxik_apple)
    I believe this is mostly what you need to know, if not feel free to kill me
    Thankyouuuuu!

(Original post by Tinkerbelle ♥)
    Fight or flight for anyone that's still up..
    :eek: I understand it now, merci!

ReputationRep:
    good luck ya'll hope we ace this
    am out :goodnight:

ReputationRep:
    How are repsonses to environmental stimuli coordinated by nervous AND endocrione help pleaaaase

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 102102)
    Any more questions before i knock myself out
    hardy weinberg....so if something to do with Cystic Fibrosis or something...and one in 3000 are sufferers from it. Do we have to work out 2pq then times it by 3000? edit to work out the carriers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hopes)

The spec states ' use hardy-weinbeg principle to predict allele frequency'
    only.

So forget genotype,and percentage frequency!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone here planning an all-nighter? I'm very tempted as whenever I'm not looking at a text book the information is seeping out from my ears! :zomg:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HotCoco.)
    Anyone here planning an all-nighter? I'm very tempted as whenever I'm not looking at a text book the information is seeping out from my ears! :zomg:

lol same..

Hrmm you might of tempted me subliminally!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not staying up all night, maybe till 2 or 3 ish. I have got 15 pages left in the textbook before I've done it all. Then I'm going to do the hardest bits again. Then I'll sleep.

I hate to say it, but I feel quite ready for this. I feel I've learnt a lot, especially in the last couple of hours. But when I see the questions it'll be another story I'm sure!

I'm pessimistic, but hopefully, I'll still get a B :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aimz08)
    hardy weinberg....so if something to do with Cystic Fibrosis or something...and one in 3000 are sufferers from it. Do we have to work out 2pq then times it by 3000? edit to work out the carriers

srry for late reply..got distracted..this is how u knw what you have to do

The 2pq is only done if you need to find out the heterozygous (I think)

V
    V

Finding suffers (Individuals) u do 2pq and when you reach yur answer u times by the total population u have

Finding Frequency: do not times by population number

Finding percentage, just times by 100

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 29, 2014
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.