?
Report 8 years ago
I got 0.32 too. that was a tough paper
steph_v
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well, the grade boundaries were always going to be low, because it's a new specification. I really don't think I've got an A, but hopefully an A overall. The first long question threw me a bit, I wrong loads and loads but I'm not sure if I got the points they want. I made a numerical error on the chi-squared test (can't believe I did this), the dopamine one confused me and the fly one was a disaster. I can afford to drop around 29 raw marks, I think it will be a close call but I hope so.
ILikeStrawberries
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I thought it was hard :-/ I made such a mess of that question with the fly's eyes, it's literally just a page of scribbling-outs.. loads of people came out of the hall like 'that wasn't too bad', I hope I did better than I think
Remarqable M
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by tara592)
that essay question on protein development, did they just want us to talk about transcription and translation, or did they want to us to talk about homeobox genes?
ohh and what is logging?
logging i think tis clearing but anyways for the question about protein development i wrote a little bit aboutt transcription and translation (as well explaining that a specific length of nucleotide bases form the genetic codes which contains the instructions for the construction of the polypeptides) as a summary then went on how polypeptides have specific function because of their tertiary shape, and how the genetic code determines the bonds and ionic interactions of the polypeptides as well as the need for cAMP to activate the polypeptides once they're made. Then went on about how polypeptides each have specific role in the development of body parts e.g. some work on the shape of the head and some work on the shape of the abdomen blah blah lol i don't think they really wanted us to talk about protein synthesis in much detail.
Last edited by Remarqable M; 8 years ago
Darthdevidem
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by CHILLIN-DRAGON)
i found it as horrible as the first one, it will prob go down for the higher grades (A,B,C) but it freaked me out so much, i left the 2 pages about x^2 and for some reason i didt see them mention the ratio, im so stupid
:-(

I completely messed up the first question, didn't even say renin was an ENZYME arghh!!

GUYS at the end when it says "Write two management things for timber in England"

What did you write for it? I went on about coppicing and stripping.
smflesh
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It was 66/100 raw last year for an A, so let's hope it's around the same!
thekooks
Report 8 years ago
Like others on here, i don't know how well I did on that paper..

i did get 0.32 for chi-squared though.

was the 8 mark question about rennin about restriction enzymes and plasmids?? cos that's what i wrote

also anybody else write about coppicing and pollarding towards the end?? can't remember the question..
aylasira
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well that was ****.

I was so happy to see the comparison between synapses and neuromuscular junctions, I filled in the table in my excitement. Only to realise when I got out the exam that the headings weren't 'Synapse' and 'nm junctions' as I stupidly presumed, but similarity and difference. That's four marks down the drain.
CHILLIN-DRAGON
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Darthdevidem)
:-(

I completely messed up the first question, didn't even say renin was an ENZYME arghh!!

GUYS at the end when it says "Write two management things for timber in England"

What did you write for it? I went on about coppicing and stripping.
same here

I talked about replacing the trees with one of a native species, and i talked about how cutting them in patches makes it easier for replacements to grow etc
smflesh
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by aylasira)
Well that was ****.

I was so happy to see the comparison between synapses and neuromuscular junctions, I filled in the table in my excitement. Only to realise when I got out the exam that the headings weren't 'Synapse' and 'nm junctions' as I stupidly presumed, but similarity and difference. That's four marks down the drain.
..wasn't it :woo: ?!
Ayriss
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Sooo, I didn't think it was AWFUL, but really vague.. especially the questions on plants and renin right at the begining. :mad:
I got 0.32 for my chi squared and for the parental crosses in the flys I used to homozygous recessive females and one dominant male (gene wasn't carried on the Y) so I'm pretty sure my end result was correct What answers did you guys get for all the plant stuff?
Gemmer
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by noodlecookie)
Definitely PCR (now I know what that is!)
Definitely behaviour and muscle contraction
OCR like plants. so definitely plant behaviour (gah)
Most likely Golden Rice (need to go over that again)
Likely fermentation (ditto)
Maybe DNA probes..

85% wrong. lmao.
HumanNature1992
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by aylasira)
Well that was ****.

Oh noo....its over now and theres nothing you can do, so dont think about it
CHILLIN-DRAGON
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by smflesh)
It was 66/100 raw last year for an A, so let's hope it's around the same!
i dont think i even got that, i panicked so much in that exam
TheMikester69
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Remarqable M)
how did you guys go about getting the expected value lol

i i think i messed up the chi value lol i did 1/4 x 27=13.5 which is probably wrrong lol i forget how to calculate the expected value lol
Should have been 1/2 x 50
ibysaiyan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Wooot! although I was 10 minutes late to start my paper I got it done about quarter hour before.I must admit the paper sucked in content wise all that boring gene stuff again and again there is so much other interesting stuff they could have asked oh well I lost about 3 marks :/ thats about it.
yep for the Chi square which got me shaky for a sec. but then I realized a question example in the book which had ratio 9:3:3:1 and how we get the observed value say for instance the total population was 144. There fore:
9/16x 144 = Value and so on.
=} so in this case 1/2 x 27 = your values
and 1/2 x 23 : I think ? if I remember correctly.
Oh also man about the 8 mark question on describing transgenic bacterium wow I used up the whole 24 lines!! that monster sucked much of my energy
Last edited by ibysaiyan; 8 years ago
aylasira
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by smflesh)
..wasn't it :woo: ?!
Sadly not.
It was Similarity and Difference across the top, and Function and Structure down the side.

I answered it as if the question was just about differences and it was Synapse and NM junction across the top and Function and Structure down the side. Error.
rrrachael
Report 8 years ago
thought that alright considering how they normally go...
managed to write something for all the questions
pretty confident that i did well...revision, revision and more revision is key! :P
aylasira
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by HumanNature1992)
Oh noo....its over now and theres nothing you can do, so dont think about it

Indeed, silly silly mistakes.
Oh well, Chemistry and Physics revision time!
TheMikester69
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Ayriss)
Sooo, I didn't think it was AWFUL, but really vague.. especially the questions on plants and renin right at the begining. :mad:
I got 0.32 for my chi squared and for the parental crosses in the flys I used to homozygous recessive females and one dominant male (gene wasn't carried on the Y) so I'm pretty sure my end result was correct What answers did you guys get for all the plant stuff?
I got that for the fly cross aswell.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (429)
91.47%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (40)
8.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise