Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remarqable M)
    logging i think tis clearing but anyways for the question about protein development i wrote a little bit aboutt transcription and translation (as well explaining that a specific length of nucleotide bases form the genetic codes which contains the instructions for the construction of the polypeptides) as a summary then went on how polypeptides have specific function because of their tertiary shape, and how the genetic code determines the bonds and ionic interactions of the polypeptides as well as the need for cAMP to activate the polypeptides once they're made. Then went on about how polypeptides each have specific role in the development of body parts e.g. some work on the shape of the head and some work on the shape of the abdomen blah blah lol i don't think they really wanted us to talk about protein synthesis in much detail.

oops! maybe Ill get 4 marks if Im lucky, i plugged in a load of cheeky keywords

ReputationRep:
    why was the question about which microscope worth two marks?! what did everyone put?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aylasira)
    Sadly not.
    It was Similarity and Difference across the top, and Function and Structure down the side.

I answered it as if the question was just about differences and it was Synapse and NM junction across the top and Function and Structure down the side. Error.

oh man, I thought that question was pretty hard actually, I got structural differences as being different shaped receptors and similarities as having vesicles bound neurotransmitters
    and for function I completely screwed up, I think I wrote neurotransmitter invokes muscle contraction and sends impulse to brain as the differences...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aylasira)
    Well that was ****.

I was so happy to see the comparison between synapses and neuromuscular junctions, I filled in the table in my excitement. Only to realise when I got out the exam that the headings weren't 'Synapse' and 'nm junctions' as I stupidly presumed, but similarity and difference. That's four marks down the drain.
    for that question, this is what i did:

structure: similarity: a synaptic cleft between the pre and post membrane. Differences: dopamine synapse is shaped like a door knob and nm junction is shaped like a golf head lol

Function: Similarity: both release Acetycholine
    Difference: nm junction causes contraction where as dopamine synapse causes an action potential to be transmitted to the post synaptic membrane.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hopes)
    i couldnt answer the question on the type of protein rennin is..
    Enzyme?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SD27)
    why was the question about which microscope worth two marks?! what did everyone put?
    I hope it was an electronmicroscope..

ReputationRep:
    what did people put for the question about colour of fly eyes where it asked how the products of polypeptides controlled the eye colour? i think it was 2ii or something. was it about how enzymes changed the colour of the pigment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemmer)
    Enzyme?
    thats what i put:yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SD27)
    i guessed scanning electron microscope lol
    not sure if that is right

ReputationRep:
    following the diagram for the fly colour was easy but what was the answer to the question after i put working in complementary fashion but my friends put dominant epistasis ; _ ; ?????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SD27)
    light microscope, a guess but i dont no why its two marks!

ReputationRep:
    for that question, this is what i did:

structure: similarity: a synaptic cleft between the pre and post membrane. Differences: dopamine synapse is shaped like a door knob and nm junction is shaped like a golf head lol

Function: Similarity: both release Acetycholine
    Difference: nm junction causes contraction where as dopamine synapse causes an action potential to be transmitted to the post synaptic membrane.
    Doesn't the dopamine synapse release dopamine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smflesh)
    It was 66/100 raw last year for an A, so let's hope it's around the same!
    Surprising imo, last year was much easier. (assuming your talking about the AS final PAper)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SD27)
    you got one mark for just saying the word scanning, I've seen it in past papers before

I got scanning electron microscope

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SD27)
    i think it was meant to be scanning electron microscope-unfortunately i put transmission!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chelbobalopolus)
    following the diagram for the fly colour was easy but what was the answer to the question after i put working in complementary fashion but my friends put dominant epistasis ; _ ; ?????
    i put epistasis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzz91)
    what did people put for the question about colour of fly eyes where it asked how the products of polypeptides controlled the eye colour? i think it was 2ii or something. was it about how enzymes changed the colour of the pigment?
    i think the question was how does the different genes interact to give different the range of pigment. For this question i wrote that the genes interact complementary and antagonistically. Then went on to give an example of each case. Not sure if this right but i hope it is lol :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SD27)
    Scaniing electron microscope because that was the only one i could remember (apart from light microscope and i know its not that)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanNature1992)
    I hope it was an electronmicroscope..
    i put transmission coz i couldn't like straight lol.

Tinkerbelle, i see you said i'm near you, where exactly are you then? anyone else from Dorset or even Poole?

on so onto the chemistry revision for tomorrow :/

ReputationRep:
    i guessed scanning electron microscope lol
    not sure if that is right
    :yep:
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 29, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.