The Student Room Group

OCR 2010 A2 Biology Unit 2 - Control, Genome and Environment

Scroll to see replies

Chelbobalopolus
following the diagram for the fly colour was easy but what was the answer to the question after i put working in complementary fashion but my friends put dominant epistasis ; _ ; ?????

I thought it was epistasis too, but im not very good at the genetics stuff:s-smilie:
Remarqable M
i guessed scanning electron microscope lol
not sure if that is right:s-smilie:

I put that!

It must be scanning since it was of the head and not a slice like transmission would be, and they were too clear for the other type [thank god it wasn't, I can't even remember what it's called xD]
Reply 3362
Remarqable M
i think the question was how does the different genes interact to give different the range of pigment. For this question i wrote that the genes interact complementary and antagonistically. Then went on to give an example of each case. Not sure if this right:s-smilie: but i hope it is lol :p:

I got complementary epistasis :/ ? Also for the colours of eyes I got red, vermillion and cinnabar in that order :smile: (it's like the pokemon towns!)
Reply 3363
Chelbobalopolus
following the diagram for the fly colour was easy but what was the answer to the question after i put working in complementary fashion but my friends put dominant epistasis ; _ ; ?????

I just put 'epistasis' as i wasn't sure what type it was
Gemmer
I just put 'epistasis' as i wasn't sure what type it was

Yea it carried a mark anyway.. so that should suffice :smile:
Ayriss
I got complementary epistasis :/ ? Also for the colours of eyes I got red, vermillion and cinnabar in that order :smile: (it's like the pokemon towns!)

oh yeah for the first one i put red pigment then vermillion and then cinnabar lol i hope this is right:s-smilie:
Hmmmm. That was an OK paper, way harder than Jan though. I can say that I completly raped eight marker on the genetic engineering of Ribbin ( or whatever it was called) What did everyone put for the 3/4 marker on gene interactions?
HumanNature1992
I thought it was epistasis too, but im not very good at the genetics stuff:s-smilie:

Q_Q I dunno what to think then >_< i thought i knew my stuff lol
I really don't know how that went. Came out thinking "Ooo that was fun".
About the fly one, I can't remember what I put for each parent, but I remember putting into the offspring spaces in a Pinnet square the right alleles then getting the parents from that, and it worked...so must have been homozygous recessive mum and dominant dad.
About the one for management of trees in England, it's small scale and large scale. Coppicing and pollarding are technically only small scale...
The one for how the protein synthesis and polypeptide is controlled in an organism I wrote about actual synthesis, so transcription and translation, then went on about how the ribosome determines the primary structure of a polypeptide and therefore the tertiary structure and then the function, then I blabbed a bit about how a mutation will create a dysfunctional polypeptide, and then about homeobox genes (maternal-effect, segmentation and identification).
Think it went alright :s-smilie: not sure about the A though...
LOL was that an exam or a test to see who can write the fastest?
ibysaiyan
Wooot! although I was 10 minutes late to start my paper I got it done about quarter hour before.I must admit the paper sucked in content wise all that boring gene stuff again and again there is so much other interesting stuff they could have asked oh well I lost about 3 marks :/ thats about it.
yep for the Chi square which got me shaky for a sec. but then I realized a question example in the book which had ratio 9:3:3:1 and how we get the observed value say for instance the total population was 144. There fore:
9/16x 144 = Value and so on.
=} so in this case 1/2 x 27 = your values
and 1/2 x 23 : I think ? if I remember correctly.
Oh also man about the 8 mark question on describing transgenic bacterium wow I used up the whole 24 lines!! that monster sucked much of my energy :frown:

what did ou put for the other 8 marker?
Reply 3371
ibysaiyan
Yea it carried a mark anyway.. so that should suffice :smile:

That's what i concluded and I didn't want to put the wrong type for that mark to be taken away :P
Reply 3372
buyingtheticket
Hmmmm. That was an OK paper, way harder than Jan though. I can say that I completly raped eight marker on the genetic engineering of Ribbin ( or whatever it was called) What did everyone put for the 3/4 marker on gene interactions?

oh my gosh my mind went completely blank on that, I just put that genes can act antaognistically and some will mask others so that they are not displayed in the phenotype, but I'm sure that's wrong hahaha
I thought it so hard, thank god there is another one next week and the courseswork is all finished
buyingtheticket

3/4 marker?
you mean questioin right after it said what type of interaction is described above: Epistasis? for that I went onto explain how different combination of allele bring upon changes onto the precursor substances by the production of different "enzymes".

I swear My answer to that 8 marks question on sequencing had the script of Lord of the rings trilogy <_< I almost ran out of page!! in the end the paper wasn't content friendly sucked much
buyingtheticket

lol yea i cpmpletely got that right, i talked about

1)identification of the required gene that codes for renning using radioactive marker or fluorescent marker.

2) cutting of the dna using restriction enzyme at specific points which are refered to as restriction site.

3) sticky ends

4) the need to use the same restriction enzyme for cutting the plasma and dna

5) annealing

6) ligase

7) ...

i'm sure i wrote a lot of things worth more than 8 marks lol :p:
Reply 3376
ibysaiyan
3/4 marker?
you mean questioin right after it said what type of interaction is described above: Epistasis? for that I went onto explain how different combination of allele bring upon changes onto the precursor substances by the production of different "enzymes".

I swear My answer to that 8 marks question on sequencing had the script of Lord of the rings trilogy <_< I almost ran out of page!! in the end the paper wasn't content friendly sucked much

that question was loveeely if you're talking about the one I think, transcription and translation then just talking about how amino acids eventually contribute to tertiary structure ahhh 8 marks :smile:
conorf199
what did ou put for the other 8 marker?

Well the question did mention sneakingly "from the calves lining" that was it! *boomm* my synapses went onto revival.. I linked that to reverse transcription along with production of Dna double stranded from single and went onto describe how genome sequencing is done to pin point the particular gene we are after and later on how to stick that part of dna into a bacterial plasmid +ligase+ sticky ends = transgenic bacteria and culturing and so on.... was too long :/
CHILLIN-DRAGON
same here :frown:

I talked about replacing the trees with one of a native species, and i talked about how cutting them in patches makes it easier for replacements to grow etc

Hey your a hopeful medic too :smile:

I need 67% in this paper for an A overall, but chemistry is really dire for me.
Reply 3379
so how could you get one mark for the microscope question?

Ayriss
you got one mark for just saying the word scanning, I've seen it in past papers before

I got scanning electron microscope

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending