Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameliarainbow1)
    My school has access to Biology Factsheets. Let me know if you find them useful and I'll post them up. Does anyone have access to chemistry factsheets?
    That would be really helpful
    What are they like?

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I'm also doing this exam in June- I think we're just over halfway through covering the work atm.
    Oh, and we've been told that resits don't matter- as long as you get 80% overall in your A-level and 90%+ at A2 then you'll get an A* whether you resat or not
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remarqable M)
    for f214 i got a C really bad but i'll have to start analysing the paper(f214) because my problem is not knowing how to interpret command words e.g. describe, explain etc

how did the a2 isa go?:p:
    Aww; I guess it just wasn't the kind of paper we expected. I've done one of each practical, but we don't know the marks, our teacher says we're not allowed to know. But it went badly, because this was on a field trip before A2 started, so I could do the experiment, just lacked the theory knowledge. We're going to do another one of each, first one tomorrow,

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain this to me please? Rep for a really good reply.

What are some biotic and abiotic factors affecting plant growth?

ReputationRep:
    **** you OCR see in you in june <_< i gotta admit i am overflowing with anger as i type grrr.Anyhow **** it,yo cant change the pass but you could workplan on a better future and thats what i seek.The grades i got were under expected meh.. which wont happen again. Back to the topic: We have completed chapter 7,8,9,10 so far with 11 being half-done.I will be posting some answers/definitions later on sequences,genetic engineering,genome and electrophosis.
    /out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lil_miss_rapunzel)
    Hi
    I'm also doing this exam in June- I think we're just over halfway through covering the work atm.
    Oh, and we've been told that resits don't matter- as long as you get 80% overall in your A-level and 90%+ at A2 then you'll get an A* whether you resat or not
    xxx
    Hmmm so thats 270 for A2 and 210 for AS right? interesting....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    **** you OCR see in you in june <_< i gotta admit i am overflowing with anger as i type grrr.Anyhow **** it,yo cant change the pass but you could workplan on a better future and thats what i seek.The grades i got were under expected meh.. which wont happen again. Back to the topic: We have completed chapter 7,8,9,10 so far with 11 being half-done.I will be posting some answers/definitions later on sequences,genetic engineering,genome and electrophosis.
    /out.
    What book are you using?

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm so thats 270 for A2 and 210 for AS right? interesting....
    Yeah, well theoretically I suppose you could scrape a C with 180 at AS and then get 300/300 at A2 but that's not v.likely xxx

ReputationRep:
    I didn't realise there was an another thread on F215:lol:
    i wonder who created it:facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    No questions on homeobox genes or plant behaviour in past papers, as new to the syllabus?

If you think of any questions examiners might ask, please post!

ReputationRep:
    No questions on homeobox genes or plant behaviour in past papers, as new to the syllabus?

If you think of any questions examiners might ask, please post!
    Strange i am pretty sure that plant hormones do come wuite often gibberlins and so on...oh on homeobox genes there isnt much to know apart from that they code for the structure of an organism also another point to note is that these genes are homologous in nature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buyingtheticket)
    What book are you using?
    Mary Jones

ReputationRep:
    I'll be posting up all the Biology Factsheets on thread titled Official Biology Factsheets

Please be patient, as there are 204 factsheets to upload!

Spread the word to other students.

I don't have access to Chemistry factsheets, so if anyone knows where I can find them/post them up/post a link, let me know!

Hope this is useful and Don't forget to rep!

ReputationRep:
    I'll be posting up all the Biology Factsheets on thread titled Official Biology Factsheets

Please be patient, as there are 204 factsheets to upload!

Spread the word to other students.

I don't have access to Chemistry factsheets, so if anyone knows where I can find them/post them up/post a link, let me know!

Hope this is useful and Don't forget to rep!
    Hey thanks for that in advance .

ReputationRep:
    Okay... people i am back to normal.Here goes feel free to pm me or quote me just about anything .This is what i have memorized so far..

Genome:Is the sum of all the sets of genes present in an organism or in a population of organisms.

Genome Sequencing: Is the process of collecting data of various species DNA for comparison on the evolutionary relationships.

Genome Sequencing of a Plant:
    *Plant leaf is crushed in a buffer solution under high pressure,cells release their content.Dna is washed,precipitated and re-suspended in the buffer solution.
    *Free DNA nucleotides are added to the solution so that various copies of DNA are made.Along this primers are added.
    *Primers are a short length of DNA about 20 b.p long(base pair) which
    have bases complementary to the start region of a required gene.
    *Primers bind to the DNA.This binded DNA then combines with furthermore Free DNA nucleotides making various copy of DNA.
    *Original DNA is separated from the mixture.
    *Modified type of nucleotides are added also to the buffer called tagged nucleotides.These are unique since they have their own characteristic.
    *They are: Dyed with fluoresce such with each base(ATCG) has its own color when illuminated.Are doubly De-Oxyribose.
    *doubly De-Oxyribose < --- This property makes these nucleotides stopping signal for continuous linking of complementary base pair.
    *As a result of all this along with various enzymes at work a variety of DNA fragments are produced each ending with a primer base in the end.
    *Shortest being the first base of the gene and longest being the last base of the sequence.
    *These fragments are then transferred into a capillary tube which has potential difference across its terminal.
    * DNA Being acidic in nature has affinity for positive charge,hence dna fragments travel through -ve to +ve.Speed varies and is dependable on the length of the fragments.Slowest being the longer ones and fastest the shortest ones.
    *At the end of the capillary tube is a laser which beams towards the window.This laser differentiates various lengths of DNA by their tagged nucleotides and the time it took to get there.
    *So the fastest length of DNA would be the first in the sequence,this way whole Gene sequence is calculated by the computer.This Process is called "Electrophoresis"<--- (will explain that in more detail later).

Genetic Engineering: It is the change of genetic material of an organism by the use of technology.

Shallow points on Gene Transfer:The sequence of the required gene is to be known/located at first.Its replication as to get enough quantity.Then cutting of the required length either by the use of "restriction enzymes" or through "reverse transcription".Insertion of foreign gene into vector,acceptance by vector and then transfer of the gene to the required cell by the vector.Cloning of the transgenic cell.

Recombinant DNA: Is a Type of DNA which has an altered form of genetic material.Such organisms are called Transgenic organism,transform organism or GMO (Genetically modified Organism).
    [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]Note:[/COLOR]
    OGM doesn't need to be recombinant DNA instead it could be a DNA altered itself.

Gene transfer In detail : Human Growth Hormone
    First the DNA Containing needed gene is placed in a solution of bamh1 (need to remember this!)a type of "restriction enzyme".This cuts the chromosome in a such a manner that sticky ends are left (DNA is not sliced through),it cuts the exact sequence of the HGH.Now this gene needs to be inserted into a vector.In this case the vectors are circular DNA called plasmids of the bacterial cells(remember pBR322).Plasmids provide anti-biotic resistance to various bacteria and are often swapped between various specie of bacteria.Again restriction enzyme is used to leave sticky ends onto the plasmid.Now comes the part where plasmids need to accept forgein gene.Which is done by having ligase's enzyme seal up hydrogen bonds between the two.([COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]addition info: to further ease up the process calcium ions are added which break the cell wall and plasma membrane allowing plasmids to further intake them about 1% is accepted rest either don't accept them or seal up too soon[/COLOR]).

Testing out which ones a hybrid:
    Plate replication is used to test which colony has the hybrid plasmid and which doesn't.To know this we use the knowledge of anti-biotics.
    The very restriction enzyme bamh1 cuts tetracycline gene for human growth gene.As a result those plasmid are not resistant to tetracycline.To check this: Colony of cells are placed in a plate of agar .A replica is made for cross referencing.Replica plate is submerged in ampicillin such that cells which die off didn't carry plasmid while those survived carried them.Next they are submerged in tetracycline solution ones which die are the ones which carry the HGH.

Yep i know i got no life.. bye bye social life (huh as if i really had one lol ).( still need to type down detail on human insulin production,electrophoresis,PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction <-- interesting topic).
    *yawns* this took awhile / Let me know in case i missed anything or just anything lol.
    Copyright 2010 ibysaiyan

ReputationRep:
    Forgot to mention these: Primers,Promoters,Probes and Genetic Markers.

ReputationRep:
    Daym people i haven't slept at all been awake whole night ...
    Luckily i woke up just in time for my quantitative test *phew*
    yea... err i somehow passed out at 7.30 for an hour stupid me .

ReputationRep:
    Knock Knock anyone there?

ReputationRep:
    Knock Knock anyone there?
    Hey! thanks for the summary

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remarqable M)
    Hey! thanks for the summary
    Hey no problemo i will be posting more in few minutes. ^.^ I have shunned all social life just for the sake of what OCR did with me!
    anyways how are the preparation goin? how was your practical ?
    Is the f214 thread alive yet? might kick few posts there too....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.