Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Wasnt that bad, believed i did well. Although i messed up species diversity/evenness as i wasnt paying attention by that point. I thought i did pretty well, i could be penalised one or two areas for being vague.

I put rotational coppicing and selective felling of trees as the 2 techniques, and prevention of soil erosion and diverse range of habitats maintained.

Hopefully i get my B or Above that i want.
    ....and now i have to revise chemistry after this break :P

ReputationRep:
    The epistasis explanation question.
    I'm pretty sure it was complementary epistasis. But didn't it have an element of recessive epistasis?

I badly need 80UMS for an A*, I'll be gutted if not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remarqable M)
    lol yea i cpmpletely got that right, i talked about

1)identification of the required gene that codes for renning using radioactive marker or fluorescent marker.

2) cutting of the dna using restriction enzyme at specific points which are refered to as restriction site.

3) sticky ends

4) the need to use the same restriction enzyme for cutting the plasma and dna

5) annealing

6) ligase

7) ...

i'm sure i wrote a lot of things worth more than 8 marks lol :p:
    Same! and all the culture stuff afterwards to identify it ^.^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remarqable M)
    i think the question was how does the different genes interact to give different the range of pigment. For this question i wrote that the genes interact complementary and antagonistically. Then went on to give an example of each case. Not sure if this right but i hope it is lol :p:

Yeah i put something along those lines, i mentioned how each allele could code for an enzyme to convert the pigment into a particular colour or the next compound if it was dominant. Odd paper i thought! Lets just pray for low grade boundaries

ReputationRep:
    Eugh, that paper made the january one look easy! :mad:

I couldn't figure out what half of the questions were even asking...
    Come to think of it, I can't remember what any of the questions asked now, I think I've mentally blocked out the trauma of it all... :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Oh I feel such an idiot for mentioning halterers instead of antennae! **** I hope they are not able to read/distinguish it of legs growing onto the T1 section.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TX22)
    so how could you get one mark for the microscope question?
    1 mark for electron microscope
    1 for enhancing that with scanning

stupid mark scheme

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayriss)
    oh my gosh my mind went completely blank on that, I just put that genes can act antaognistically and some will mask others so that they are not displayed in the phenotype, but I'm sure that's wrong hahaha
    Noo I think that sounds right, I just talked about epistasis which is probs wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was quite good. Probably lost some marks for not mentioning little things, like I didn't realise the microscope question was 2 marks, so just wrote electron microscope. Prob lost a couple on those homeobox 'suggest' questions. Apart from that I think it was good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    3/4 marker?
    you mean questioin right after it said what type of interaction is described above: Epistasis? for that I went onto explain how different combination of allele bring upon changes onto the precursor substances by the production of different "enzymes".

I swear My answer to that 8 marks question on sequencing had the script of Lord of the rings trilogy <_< I almost ran out of page!! in the end the paper wasn't content friendly sucked much
    Yeah I think so, I had no idea so just waffled about epistasis...Lol what did you put for the other 8 marker, did you talk about transcription and translation??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buyingtheticket)
    Noo I think that sounds right, I just talked about epistasis which is probs wrong.
    I talked about the nature of dominant and recessive alleles and no matter if they are homo or hetero but they follow antagonistic type of relation.2 marks...

ReputationRep:
    Darn! I forgot to write annealing, I just put that DNA and plasmid join because of complementary bases via DNA ligase bla bla.
    And for that Chi-squared, didn't the question only want the value (0.32) and to comment, ie whether to reject or accept the null hypothesis given the degrees of freedom and below or above the critical value (accept null was my conclusion, and explanation).
    I also put just electron microscope, didn't know about scanning...ah well. I'm sure I did just fine. Chemistry will be much better I think.
    This thread is worrying me now so I'm a'goin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayriss)
    (it's like the pokemon towns!)
    That was the first thing that came into my mind when answering this question! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolinGirl)
    I thought it was quite good. Probably lost some marks for not mentioning little things, like I didn't realise the microscope question was 2 marks, so just wrote electron microscope. Prob lost a couple on those homeobox 'suggest' questions. Apart from that I think it was good
    Hey nice work!

ReputationRep:
    Oh I feel such an idiot for mentioning halterers instead of antennae! **** I hope they are not able to read/distinguish it of legs growing onto the T1 section.
    For some strange reason I wrote antlers on that one, then crossed it out and wrote antennae, and then crossed that out and wrote legs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buyingtheticket)
    Yeah I think so, I had no idea so just waffled about epistasis...Lol what did you put for the other 8 marker, did you talk about transcription and translation??
    Well the question did mention sneakingly "from the calves lining" that was it! *boomm* my synapses went onto revival.. I linked that to reverse transcription along with production of Dna double stranded from single and went onto describe how genome sequencing is done to pin point the particular gene we are after and later on how to stick that part of dna into a bacterial plasmid +ligase+ sticky ends = transgenic bacteria and culturing and so on.... was too long :/

ReputationRep:
    Well the question did mention sneakingly "from the calves lining" that was it! *boomm* my synapses went onto revival.. I linked that to reverse transcription along with production of Dna double stranded from single and went onto describe how genome sequencing is done to pin point the particular gene we are after and later on how to stick that part of dna into a bacterial plasmid +ligase+ sticky ends = transgenic bacteria and culturing and so on.... was too long :/
    ahaha BOOM is exactly how I'd describe that q, what about the other one on protein/polypeptide stuffs?

ReputationRep:
    The epistasis explanation question.
    I'm pretty sure it was complementary epistasis. But didn't it have an element of recessive epistasis?

ReputationRep:
    The exam was alright. My teacher gave me some question packs beforehand and they were WAY harder so this exam was a relief. Stupid new syllabus. -_-. Still not saying I got an A but definitely smiled after the exam.

Time for chemistry! Woot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolinGirl)
    For some strange reason I wrote antlers on that one, then crossed it out and wrote antennae, and then crossed that out and wrote legs.
    I put legs as well...Is that right?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.