The Student Room Group

OCR 2010 A2 Biology Unit 2 - Control, Genome and Environment

Scroll to see replies

Darthdevidem
Hey your a hopeful medic too :smile:

I need 67% in this paper for an A overall, but chemistry is really dire for me.

same here, i need really high for chem, but i dont think i even got 60% in that exam i panicked so much, i was aiming for 90% in chem but i dont think theres any point, everything ruined firt the school doesnt tell me about an access scheme to uni since im the first ever successful applicant for medicine, now, my backup would except an A in physics instead but i havent done much because i needed 37% for a B so i just focused on bio, now i need to aim for an A in physics and i have 2 days left:frown:
ViolinGirl
For some strange reason I wrote antlers on that one, then crossed it out and wrote antennae, and then crossed that out and wrote legs.

same but i just couldn't spell antennae

The epistasis explanation question.
I'm pretty sure it was complementary epistasis. But didn't it have an element of recessive epistasis?
Reply 3402
ViolinGirl
For some strange reason I wrote antlers on that one, then crossed it out and wrote antennae, and then crossed that out and wrote legs.

i wrote legs on its head...is that right? :s-smilie:

i remember someone explaining on here how legs might end up on its ass lol
toxik_apple
Darn! I forgot to write annealing, I just put that DNA and plasmid join because of complementary bases via DNA ligase bla bla.
And for that Chi-squared, didn't the question only want the value (0.32) and to comment, ie whether to reject or accept the null hypothesis given the degrees of freedom and below or above the critical value (accept null was my conclusion, and explanation).
I also put just electron microscope, didn't know about scanning...ah well. I'm sure I did just fine. Chemistry will be much better I think.
This thread is worrying me now so I'm a'goin

isnt annealing used for attaching a primer to a dna sequence in PCR?
thekooks
i wrote legs on its head...is that right? :s-smilie:

i remember someone explaining on here how legs might end up on its ass lol

well they are legs. i hope they dont penalise
Reply 3405
What did people talk about for the increasing frequency of the mutated DRD4 allele? Was I the only other person that saw that question and immediately saw SEX?

I didn't want to jump to that straight away so I started by waffling about how it wasn't a hugely disadvantageous mutation and that most people carrying it would survive to reproductive age, and then started talking about promiscuous unprotected sex based on the "impulsive risk taking" prompt.

Or did I just read that question completely wrong :p:
I thought it went pretty well, decent paper. - Just hope I get enough marks to get an A overall otherwise no Medicine for me :p:
Reply 3407
buyingtheticket
I put legs as well...Is that right?

legs in the place of antennae which I spelt wrong in the exam as 'antenni' idiot. But they'll know what I mean haha.
Does anyone remember the epistasis explanation question?

I'm pretty sure it was complementary epistasis. But didn't it have an element of recessive epistasis?
i couldnt spell antennae either! mind just goes blank at times, think i put 'anteni' :smile: haha
and yeah i talked about recessive epistasis for that question
oh well...just have to wait till results day
buyingtheticket
ahaha BOOM is exactly how I'd describe that q, what about the other one on protein/polypeptide stuffs?

**** I think i screwed chi square :s here is what I did 1/2 x 27 and 1/2 x 23! :/ while it should have been 1/2 x 50 and same :/

Arghh.... I wonder how much would they deduct seeing that I spoke of my result compared to the prob. table.
Yea about the protein stuff I went onto to talk about lac operon hint "structural proteins" + Transcription +translation.
matt7
What did people talk about for the increasing frequency of the mutated DRD4 allele? Was I the only other person that saw that question and immediately saw SEX?

I didn't want to jump to that straight away so I started by waffling about how it wasn't a hugely disadvantageous mutation and that most people carrying it would survive to reproductive age, and then started talking about promiscuous unprotected sex based on the "impulsive risk taking" prompt.

so badly :biggrin: talked about the impulsive nature being more attractive, thus more likely to attract mates (or multiple mates :P) and pass on their alleles to offspring. Think I got a bit carried away though.
Ayriss
legs in the place of antennae which I spelt wrong in the exam as 'antenni' idiot. But they'll know what I mean haha.

:facepalm: I wrote halterers instead of antennae being replaced. Mark gone there..... :mad:
Actually I think I wrote: There are antlers on its head that look like legs. Will I lose that mark?

antlers= deer antennae= insects. Oops.
Reply 3414
ibysaiyan
**** I think i screwed chi square :s here is what I did 1/2 x 27 and 1/2 x 23! :/ while it should have been 1/2 x 50 and same :/

Arghh.... I wonder how much would they deduct seeing that I spoke of my result compared to the prob. table.
Yea about the protein stuff I went onto to talk about lac operon hint "structural proteins" + Transcription +translation.

for epistasis ones, i wrote complementary gene action HOWEVER in a past paper id done which was similar said recessive, so i crossed and wrote recessive epistasis. Also when it asked ABOUT pigments interaction i wrote about binding to the genes and acting as transcription factors as it masks other alleles expression. Not sure if that the right idea though, and not sure anyway STOP talking about it. Its over, nothing more we can do :smile:
matt7

No, I did that as well :p:
I also wrote about how impulsive people might be attractive to other impulsive people, haha.
matt7

Yeah I talked about how people with that allele were extroverted and promiscous and those without it spend all day on tsr...or something like that.
**** you OCR. :mad:

:huff: Dopamine receptors. Other than that I thought the paper was alright.
ItsNeverLupus
so badly :biggrin: talked about the impulsive mature being more attractive, thus more likely to attract mates (or multiple mates :P) and pass on their alleles to offspring. Think I got a bit carried away though.

I spoke of environments role along with genetic role and went onto relate how environment helps in switching on/off these genes.I don't know but I sub-consciously I had an urge to write wealth being related to it...
Reply 3419
steph_v
No, I did that as well :p:
I also wrote about how impulsive people might be attractive to other impulsive people, haha.

hahah I just immediately jumped in with sex. I think I wrote that impulsive people tend to desire more sexual partners because they bore easily or something. Also because they're exploratory they move around the country sowing oats as it were

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending