Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHILLIN-DRAGON)
    same here, i need really high for chem, but i dont think i even got 60% in that exam i panicked so much, i was aiming for 90% in chem but i dont think theres any point, everything ruined firt the school doesnt tell me about an access scheme to uni since im the first ever successful applicant for medicine, now, my backup would except an A in physics instead but i havent done much because i needed 37% for a B so i just focused on bio, now i need to aim for an A in physics and i have 2 days left
    :-(

Best of luck for everything!

My Jan Chemistry was horrible (a U), I didn't revise much, so I'm doing retakes, the actual exams tomorrow, but the past papers that they have from the old course are so weird. Bad times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buyingtheticket)
    Yeah I talked about how people with that allele were extroverted and promiscous and those without it spend all day on tsr...or something like that.
    hahahah! :gthumb:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    **** I think i screwed chi square :s here is what I did 1/2 x 27 and 1/2 x 23! :/ while it should have been 1/2 x 50 and same :/

Arghh.... I wonder how much would they deduct seeing that I spoke of my result compared to the prob. table.
    Yea about the protein stuff I went onto to talk about lac operon hint "structural proteins" + Transcription +translation.
    Huh I have no idea what you're doing for chi squared. Both columns totalled 0.16 so 0.32 overall, accept null as it only exceeds critical value at 90%.

ReputationRep:
    if you wrote transmission electron microscope, would you get 1 mark for the electron microscope bit.

ReputationRep:
    I spoke of environments role along with genetic role and went onto relate how environment helps in switching on/off these genes.I don't know but I sub-consciously I had an urge to write wealth being related to it...
    Haha. whatchu reckon the selection pressure in that example would be? I mentioned it quite vaguely just incase.

ReputationRep:
    Eugh at lack of most of the syllabus and the vague questions, it's so frustrating to learn everything then hardly anything come up! Finding it really difficult to tell how I've done, need 54UMS for an A and 84ish for an A* so fingers crossed.

Oh I missed the sex thing on the DRD4 thing completely! Wrote about exploring to find food and competition blah blah, in ancient times not nowadays lol. Oh well.

ReputationRep:
    So no-one else wrote GENETIC DRIFT for the "Impulsive" allele one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt7)
    What did people talk about for the increasing frequency of the mutated DRD4 allele? Was I the only other person that saw that question and immediately saw SEX?

I didn't want to jump to that straight away so I started by waffling about how it wasn't a hugely disadvantageous mutation and that most people carrying it would survive to reproductive age, and then started talking about promiscuous unprotected sex based on the "impulsive risk taking" prompt.

Or did I just read that question completely wrong :p:

I wrote about the how wanting to explore will give you a greater knowledge of your surroundings, so you'd know where food is and where to hide from predators (talking early early humans) and how you'd have an advantage over those less likely to explore, so more likely to survive,blah blah blah

But I figured that was weak so I also wrote about promiscuity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darthdevidem)

My Jan Chemistry was horrible (a U), I didn't revise much, so I'm doing retakes, the actual exams tomorrow, but the past papers that they have from the old course are so weird. Bad times.
    thats similar to me, i came out with a U in my january biology exam so im resitting. the exam today went well so im pretty sure il redeem myself and come out with a C or B :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buyingtheticket)
    Huh I have no idea what you're doing for chi squared. Both columns totalled 0.16 so 0.32 overall, accept null as it only exceeds critical value at 90%.
    I know I know -.- multiplied 1/2 by each allele population instead of their overall .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayriss)
    hahah I just immediately jumped in with sex. I think I wrote that impulsive people tend to desire more sexual partners because they bore easily or something. Also because they're exploratory they move around the country sowing oats as it were
    lol, I wrote something along those lines too. :p:

ReputationRep:

what grades do you need to get an A overall, im hoping covering the spec and doing the exam questions in the book if enough

gonna spend a few hours on physics, only needed an E to get my needed B, but since ive flopped bio, i need a B in my next physics exam for an A (leicester excepts an A in physics) and i have done hardly any revision (focusing on bio, ironic that i wasnt revision for physics because i only needed an E, and yet with my hours of revision on bio i think i have actually got an E in bio instead)

btw sorry if this is depressing you lol

ReputationRep:
    For dopamine one i just said if people were more likley to explore find more resources (food) and then banged on about natural selection

ReputationRep:
    for reasons to conserve areas such as the rainforest what did you get?
    I got for drug purposes, for protection of endangered species leading to increase in tourism and because many species haven't yet been discovered

ReputationRep:
    yeah thats what i wrote too, change in allele frequency making it more common and what not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ItsNeverLupus)
    Haha. whatchu reckon the selection pressure in that example would be? I mentioned it quite vaguely just incase.
    Yea I thought about it too hm....

ReputationRep:
    I spoke of environments role along with genetic role and went onto relate how environment helps in switching on/off these genes.I don't know but I sub-consciously I had an urge to write wealth being related to it...
    Genetic drift, no selection pressure, bottle neck (by chance?)

Promiscuity?

ReputationRep:
    was that the one about schizophrenia because i did, but people are coming up with such creative answers i just wrote what i learned

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayriss)
    hahah I just immediately jumped in with sex. I think I wrote that impulsive people tend to desire more sexual partners because they bore easily or something. Also because they're exploratory they move around the country sowing oats as it were
    Loool. I sure hope you used the phrase "sowing oats" in your answer :p:

ReputationRep:
    For the second essay question. Transcription + Translation + Homeobox sequences (Genes & Body plans) ?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 29, 2014

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.