Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TX22)
    i think it will be like 65/66 for an A
    Isn't that a bit too low ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHILLIN-DRAGON)
    what grades do you need to get an A overall, im hoping covering the spec and doing the exam questions in the book if enough

gonna spend a few hours on physics, only needed an E to get my needed B, but since ive flopped bio, i need a B in my next physics exam for an A (leicester excepts an A in physics) and i have done hardly any revision (focusing on bio, ironic that i wasnt revision for physics because i only needed an E, and yet with my hours of revision on bio i think i have actually got an E in bio instead)

btw sorry if this is depressing you lol
    I need 67 UMS in this biology paper for an A, hopefully thats possible. But I'm resitting Jan Biology so I have one more chance.

In chemistry I need 77 UMS over the next 2 papers (including the retake from january). That will be hard :-(

In Maths need 47 UMS in the next paper for a B that I need.

So yeah damn chemistry. Best of luck for Physics! You must have done really well at AS if you need a E for a B!

@Rachel

Lets hope we get the grades we want now, January was such a shocker :-(

I put Genetic Drift and how being impulsive can help them survive more easily lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    its Homeobox genes oh also what did you all wrote for the use of studying such genes ? I said its done to study the similarity between us and other species and how close we are in an evolutionary pathway.
    I said because the devlopment of body plans in plants, animals, and fungi are similar, they are genetically mediated by homeobox genes, and by studying these species, it allows us to make links with human development.

ReputationRep:
    its Homeobox genes oh also what did you all wrote for the use of studying such genes ? I said its done to study the similarity between us and other species and how close we are in an evolutionary pathway.
    I thought about using that answer, but couldn't phrase it right, so I just wrote that it's the same sequences of bases in any organism to produce a specific amino acid, so many structures can be learnt from other organisms. Not too sure if that's right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikey_g)
    I don't remember a question like that!? haha
    Question where it talked about studying these genes and so on (I think it was the one right after bacterial 8 marker? )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beating Around The Bush)
    Thankyouuuuu!

:eek: I understand it now, merci!
    Funny how the questions you asked actually came up on the exam :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Any one got a paper handy they can scan in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noodlecookie)
    Morning

HotCoco., revise it NOWNOWNAONOW, the more nauseated you feel when you read it, the easier it is to learn. That pretty much summarises the entire course, oh well...
    I DIDN'T EVEN COME UP LOOOL. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayriss)
    I thought about using that answer, but couldn't phrase it right, so I just wrote that it's the same sequences of bases in any organism to produce a specific amino acid, so many structures can be learnt from other organisms. Not too sure if that's right.
    I wrote that the homeobox genes mechanism / system / thing was highly conserved and very similar in all multicellular organisms, so information gained from studying smaller organisms can by applied to the same processes that occur in humans.

ReputationRep:
    That paper was ridiculous. How can ocr justify not including:
    - Muscles
    - Animal behaviour
    - Meiosis
    - Variation
    - Cloning
    - Gene therapy
    - Nitrogen cycle
    - Nervous system (bar one stupid table)
    - Brain

And loads more. Fair enough it wasn't that it was a horrific paper, I just felt that the questions they asked were stupid, vague, idiotic and most of all i wasted so many hours learning everything to get that sort of stupid paper. Either do what chemistry does and have loads of multiple choice questions to at least cover the specification, or employ a chief exam writer whatever who has a brain with a fully developed cerebral cortex.

Or they could just pick out vague points like dopamine and homeobox and centre whole questions about them. Idiots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darthdevidem)
    I need 67 UMS in this biology paper for an A, hopefully thats possible. But I'm resitting Jan Biology so I have one more chance.

In chemistry I need 77 UMS over the next 2 papers (including the retake from january). That will be hard :-(

In Maths need 47 UMS in the next paper for a B that I need.

So yeah damn chemistry. Best of luck for Physics! You must have done really well at AS if you need a E for a B!

@Rachel

Lets hope we get the grades we want now, January was such a shocker :-(

I put Genetic Drift and how being impulsive can help them survive more easily lol
    wait do you mean you only need 77 more ums chem for to get an A overall, you could get that in the unit 1 retake alone :s

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know, really annoyed nothing came up on brain and behaviour I knew those inside out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by radical07)
    - Muscles
    - Animal behaviour
    - Meiosis
    - Variation
    - Cloning
    - Gene therapy
    - Nitrogen cycle
    - Brain

And loads more. Fair enough it wasn't that it was a horrific paper, I just felt that the questions they asked were stupid, vague, idiotic and most of all i wasted so many hours learning everything to get that sort of stupid paper. Either do what chemistry does and have loads of multiple choice questions to at least cover the specification, or employ a chief exam writer whatever who has a brain with a fully developed cerebral cortex.

Or they could just pick out vague points like dopamine and homeobox and centre whole questions about them. Idiots.

completely agree with you, was so annoyed muscles and animal behaviour didn't come up, or anything on the brain, especially as they only picked the green pages from the book, you know, the ones nobody bothers to read...

ReputationRep:
    Didn't really like the paper but the fly question with the sex linked chromosomes threw me.

The only way i could get it to work is if the female fly had two recessive r alleles but it said that the female fly had red wings which means it has to have a dominant R allele or else if it had two recessive r alleles then the female fly would have had white wings confused.

ReputationRep:
    last years unit 2 paper was like 66/100 and it was hard back then, but i think it will be like 66-68/100.

Anyone sitting F214 paper on 25th june? I hope that paper is ok.

ReputationRep:
    - Muscles
    - Animal behaviour
    - Meiosis
    - Variation
    - Cloning
    - Gene therapy
    - Nitrogen cycle
    - Brain

I agree, it was quite disappointing and a waste of my study hours. I thought the paper actually resembled the specimen paper a lot.

ReputationRep:
    - Muscles
    - Animal behaviour
    - Meiosis
    - Variation
    - Cloning
    - Gene therapy
    - Nitrogen cycle
    - Brain

exactly and you know what the worst part is this style of exams can be taught by schools according to reports, but my teacher ahs never even mentioned the spec once, its a bit silly making so much of the exam relient on how your taught what if your teachers arent good.

the only good thing is that chem/physics dont look like there like that at all, its like if you cover the spec and do some exam questions you can get 90%.

ReputationRep:
    - Muscles
    - Animal behaviour
    - Meiosis
    - Variation
    - Cloning
    - Gene therapy
    - Nitrogen cycle
    - Brain

Just like January really :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Oh I feel such an idiot for mentioning halterers instead of antennae! **** I hope they are not able to read/distinguish it of legs growing onto the T1 section.
    lol sheeet! i mentioned antenna lol forget to add the e at the end

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eddy1292)
    Any one got a paper handy they can scan in
    Oh crap I handed mine into the examiner! Schoolboy error by me...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 29, 2014
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.