Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    can somebody please explain to me the grade boundaries for last year then? I thought it was 80% as an A in which case, I just got an A last year, if it's lower I'm a comfortable A... Will they be the same this year? :/

ReputationRep:
    for one about pastuorising i put stops contaminants and there would be no other bacteria to compete with. what every 1 else put not sure on second point

ReputationRep:
    can somebody explain the grade boundaries to me? I always assumed it was 80% for an A... how much was that lowered by last year? I got just 80% last year and had an A so...

ReputationRep:
    i hate it when your post goes to the bottom of a page...:

The question "which drug is not similar to dopamine structurally" was a bit thought-provoking however, as they all at least bound to one thing which dopamine did, suggesting a similar structure. I went for the MAO repressing one.

Thoughts, anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Falcon91)
    Wasnt that bad, believed i did well. Although i messed up species diversity/evenness as i wasnt paying attention by that point. I thought i did pretty well, i could be penalised one or two areas for being vague.

I put rotational coppicing and selective felling of trees as the 2 techniques, and prevention of soil erosion and diverse range of habitats maintained.

Hopefully i get my B or Above that i want.
    ....and now i have to revise chemistry after this break :P

I put rotational coppicing, and increases biodiversity provides more habitats etc but after i kinda thought.....that isnt really being precise about how it makes timber sustainable? Worried me now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eddy1292)
    for one about pastuorising i put stops contaminants and there would be no other bacteria to compete with. what every 1 else put not sure on second point
    i put it'd break down the (sucrose was it?) to glucose providing a respiratory substrate for culture bacteriaa

(Original post by Mrcarrot)

The question "which drug is not similar to dopamine structurally" was a bit thought-provoking however, as they all at least bound to one thing which dopamine did, suggesting a similar structure. I went for the MAO repressing one.

Thoughts, anyone?

yeah, as it could be a non-competititve inhibitor which would bind to the allosteric site which wouldnt have same shape as dopamine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buyingtheticket)
    YES STAY POSITIVE. I THINK WE ALL GOT 100%
    WOOOO EVERYONE YOUR UNI PLACE IS SAFE AND YOU ARE ALL GONNA GET £1000 POUND GRANT FOR YOUR A* IN BIOLOGY

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayriss)
    can somebody explain the grade boundaries to me? I always assumed it was 80% for an A... how much was that lowered by last year? I got just 80% last year and had an A so...
    80% UMS is always an A. But you may need less than 80% raw marks to get 80% UMS. E.g last June you needed 66/100 to get 120/150.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by treesaregreenandtall)
    I didn't right anything about 'apoptosis inhibitors', don't even know what they were :P I wrote the main bulk of the question about the formation of the proteins, then a little bit of blah on different functions of proteins like enzymes, hormones, combination with glycogen for cell surface receptors etc... then I wrote about the different homeobox genes- maternal-effect, segmentation and homeotic selector

Not sure if thats right at all :eek3:
    i wrote a paragraph explaining how polypeptides are made.

then i talked about how homeotic genes have regions called homeobox sequences that code for homeodomain, and that its works as the transicription factor , how when its attached to developmental genes its activates of represses transcription of polypeptides involved in the development of the body plan etc

ReputationRep:

Thoughts, anyone?

Yeah I chose that one too, because it could be a non-competitive inhibitor (theory from AS) which means it does not bind to the active site but can still change the shape of the MAO so it cannot function

EDIT: I CANT ACTUALLY REMEMBER WHICH ONE I WENT FOR AHHA BUT THAT WAS THE THEORY BEHIND IT

ReputationRep:

Thoughts, anyone?
    it was the phenelsomething. The one that wouldn't bind to the receptor as the receptor is complementary to the shape of dopamine

ReputationRep:
    for the pasteurising one i put like to prevent unwanted microorganismss........etc
    the i said about preserving or preventing spoilage which i think is wrong.

ReputationRep:

Thoughts, anyone?
    I think I put that one. I talked about how it would inhibit the enzyme in a non-competitive manner.

I couldn't figure out the genetic cross - should have understood that more thoroughly before the exam :rolleyes: Apart from that, most of it went quite well- I hope

ReputationRep:

Thoughts, anyone?
    same here i said it would be complementary but not identical, that was a nasty question though

ReputationRep:
    Facebook Group

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=102027823181770

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHILLIN-DRAGON)
    i wrote a paragraph explaining how polypeptides are made.

then i talked about how homeotic genes have regions called homeobox sequences that code for homeodomain, and that its works as the transicription factor , how when its attached to developmental genes its activates of represses transcription of polypeptides involved in the development of the body plan etc
    Oh yeah that question! We were supposed to talk about transcription and translation for the first part right? That took up a lot of space.

ReputationRep:
    what does people put for the question where is said why the inhibitor preventing dipomine bind would reduce risk of schizo or something related to that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buyingtheticket)
    80% UMS is always an A. But you may need less than 80% raw marks to get 80% UMS. E.g last June you needed 66/100 to get 120/150.
    that's complicated :/

I always worked out that you multiplied whatever you got in the exam by 1.5 to give you your ums marks... so last year I got 65, 118 and 56 in the course work which is 239/300 which is 80% but that might not be an A? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikey_g)
    i put it'd break down the (sucrose was it?) to glucose providing a respiratory substrate for culture bacteriaa

yeah, as it could be a non-competititve inhibitor which would bind to the allosteric site which wouldnt have same shape as dopamine
    O.O So crazy it might just be right, I put kill harmful bacteria and prevent contamination/spoliage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikey_g)
    But it could be a competitive inhibitor and therefore has a similar structure to Dopamine.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 29, 2014

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.