Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thekooks)
    biotic is similar to living right?

the missing words question was the best one on the paper! anyone know how many marks it was?
    6 marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    6 marks
    wow thats a bit much, isn't it? not that i mind lol

ReputationRep:
    This paper was better than I could've hoped for! I was expecting a huge genetic diagram/codominant/homozygous question and we only get a little tiddly one! And hardly anything on the more complicated plant hormone stuff (phototropism mechanism, expansins etc). But did anyone find that the first 8 marker was really vague? I had no idea what area of genetic engineering they were talking about! I really hope I done ok.

Im surprised at the amount of the spec they didn't even acknowledge though. No sliding filament model, behaviour, brain, succession, PCR, Insulin + golden rice, speciation, meiosis etc... I wasted so much time on all of that.

I added up the marks I think I got and took away about 7 for the harsh marking OCR have and I ended up with 73/100... hopefully that'll get a high enough B!

Hope everyone gets the grades they all want

Now its just for chem tomorrow and C4. C4's going to kill me, I can already tell.

ReputationRep:
    biotic is similar to living right?

the missing words question was the best one on the paper! anyone know how many marks it was?
    Yes. But I am certain they would expect you to put biotic, also for the last one wasn't it nutrients( not trapped energy) It said what is recyled through an ecosytem-that is nutrients.
    Trapped energy flows through an ecosystem.

ReputationRep:
    wow thats a bit much, isn't it? not that i mind lol
    one for each term
    i couldnt think of the stupid "living" one that everyone got, not that thats my biggest worry

ReputationRep:
    I feel like Crying!!! i panicked so much i didnt even read the full question =(
    im going to save the crying for tomorrow though after my chemistry exam......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Varciani)
    This paper was better than I could've hoped for! I was expecting a huge genetic diagram/codominant/homozygous question and we only get a little tiddly one! And hardly anything on the more complicated plant hormone stuff (phototropism mechanism, expansins etc). But did anyone find that the first 8 marker was really vague? I had no idea what area of genetic engineering they were talking about! I really hope I done ok.

Im surprised at the amount of the spec they didn't even acknowledge though. No sliding filament model, behaviour, brain, succession, PCR, Insulin + golden rice, speciation, meiosis etc... I wasted so much time on all of that.

I added up the marks I think I got and took away about 7 for the harsh marking OCR have and I ended up with 73/100... hopefully that'll get a high enough B!

Hope everyone gets the grades they all want

Now its just for chem tomorrow and C4. C4's going to kill me, I can already tell.
    The first 8 marker was basically the same as insulin and the process for genetically engineering that. But instead of insulin, it was rennin or whatever it was.

ReputationRep:
    i thought it was alright, some areas wher hard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolinGirl)
    Yes. But I am certain they would expect you to put biotic, also for the last one wasn't it nutrients( not trapped energy) It said what is recyled through an ecosytem-that is nutrients.
    Trapped energy flows through an ecosystem.
    i put down nitrogen hope that is right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrcarrot)
    indeed, however if it had a similar structure to dopamine it would also bind to the postsynaptic dopamine receptors and it does not, and therefore it must be a non-competitive inhibitor. Thanks to all replies! I can't figure out how to quote all 4 so i'll just say @you all.
    Ok...Sorry, but I don't really understand your reasoning.

I suggested that it was the 'phenyl' something one, that could bind to dopamine. As it could bind, I assumed that it would have to be the one with a different shape to dopamine, as it would be a complementary shape - not the same shape.

Was I totally wrong?

ReputationRep:
    The first 8 marker.......surely you could have answered it in two ways?......going down the reverse transcriptase route or cut the gene out with restriction enzyme?.......I wrote down both......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolinGirl)
    It didn't ask to explain, just describe.

- With absinsic acid treatment, there is no seed germination even with increased conc of gibberellin, so it inhibits seed germination.
    -With water treatment, without any gibberellins there is around 10% seed germination occuring.
    -With water treatment, with an increase in gibberelin conc, there is an increase in seed germination
    -At 5 moldm-3 of gibberellin for the water treatment 100% seed germination.
    -Gibberellins therefore promote seed germination, and absinsic acid inhibits it.

That should be 4 marks. No need to explain.
    Nooooooo I should have read it properly, 4 marks gone :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinkerbelle ♥)
    The first 8 marker was basically the same as insulin and the process for genetically engineering that. But instead of insulin, it was rennin or whatever it was.
    did you talk about sticky ends? trestiction enzyme at specific points? ligase? methods of getting the gene into the bacteria? Using replica plating to indentify transformed bacteria...and so on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darthdevidem)
    Nooooooo I should have read it properly, 4 marks gone :eek:
    i lost marks as well i thought that with the acid there was no gibberellins, i didnt pay attention to the graph :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paperboat)

I suggested that it was the 'phenyl' something one, that could bind to dopamine. As it could bind, I assumed that it would have to be the one with a different shape to dopamine, as it would be a complementary shape - not the same shape.

Was I totally wrong?
    If i remember correctly, the drugs were:

A) Binds to dopamine receptors and then retreats to the presynapse
    B) Inhibits MAO
    C) Binds to dopamine receptors and blocks them; causes release of more dopamine

and the question was: which one of these three drugs is dissimilar in structure to dopamine.

We know that receptors are specific, so if something binds to a receptor, then it must be similar in shape to dopamine. However, for an enzyme (which MAO is), it can be inhibited both competitively via binding to the active site, or non-competitively by changing the shape of the enzyme but not binding to the active site. therefore the answer is B, because it does not bind to receptors and yet inhibits MAO- it's a non-competitive inhibitor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinkerbelle ♥)
    Oh damn, it didn't make that clear! I wrote about the general steps for genetic engineering like obtain the gene to be inserted, place into a vector, insert it via a BAC/virus etc... That sucks Thanks though!

ReputationRep:
    screwed up the fly thingy.......also, the second 8 marker, I thought all you needed to do was talk about, transcription, translation and roles of proteins (in general).....is it critical that we link in about body plan and stuff?......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remarqable M)
    i put down nitrogen hope that is right
    I did this too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paperboat)

Was I totally wrong?
    would'nt it be either, because the shape would be complementary not identical, so its still different.......i panicked

ReputationRep:
    Hmm for the fill in the gaps question I put decaying not biotic - would that not be correct do people think? It's just there was a question on an old paper once where it referred to decomposers decomposing "decaying" matter... I wrote energy annoyingly instead of minerals/nitrogen etc - energy isn't recycled >.< Plus I just put epistasis - on past papers it always writes (recessive) epistasis or whatever so you could get the mark for just epistasis... anyone think that would happen here? I wasn't sure which it was and I didn't want to put the wrong one..! All in all could have been a worse paper, the cheese question threw me a bit... and the suggest questions at the beginning of the homeobox question...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 29, 2014
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.