Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    so was it scanning or transmission then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrcarrot)
    If i remember correctly, the drugs were:

A) Binds to dopamine receptors and then retreats to the presynapse
    B) Inhibits MAO
    C) Binds to dopamine receptors and blocks them; causes release of more dopamine

and the question was: which one of these three drugs is dissimilar in structure to dopamine.

We know that receptors are specific, so if something binds to a receptor, then it must be similar in shape to dopamine. However, for an enzyme (which MAO is), it can be inhibited both competitively via binding to the active site, or non-competitively by changing the shape of the enzyme but not binding to the active site. therefore the answer is B, because it does not bind to receptors and yet inhibits MAO- it's a non-competitive inhibitor.
    this was very hard question, it required careful thinking and reasoning, so i think 1 mark for identifying the correct one and one mark for the reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TX22)
    for the pasteurising one i put like to prevent unwanted microorganismss........etc
    the i said about preserving or preventing spoilage which i think is wrong.
    i also said it was an aseptic technique to destory unwanted microorganisms and the two advantages being it wouldnt compete with the desired microorganism and that it would avoid production of harmful/unwanted products

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remarqable M)
    this was very hard question, it required careful thinking and reasoning, so i think 1 mark for identifying the correct one and one mark for the reason.
    i definitely agree.

which worries me because even knowing now, my answer was a bit wishy-washy. put something like it's the second one because it doesnt bind to the receptors but does bind to the enzyme therefore it must be the most different. fingers crossed...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)

scanning
    (even though i didnt put it )
    because scanning gives 3D images but transmission can only be used for thin samples

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    without any hesitation, i wrote scanning electron microscope and apparently Ibaisayan looked it up and said i was right

ReputationRep:
    I know this might sound a bit OTT but when i read the first question and went blank, i actually felt like crying and had to hold tears back lol!

ReputationRep:
    is some1 ganna make a unofficial mark scheme

ReputationRep:
    did you talk about sticky ends? trestiction enzyme at specific points? ligase? methods of getting the gene into the bacteria? Using replica plating to indentify transformed bacteria...and so on?
    I did indeedy, went through the whole process. Did you?

Whilst you're here.. thank you for the thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hopes)
    I know this might sound a bit OTT but when i read the first question and went blank, i actually felt like crying and had to hold tears back lol!
    i agree, and then thought that really all they wanted us to do was define biotechnology..

so i said:
    the process uses microorganisms on an industrial scale to produce a useful and desired product
    in this cause rennin was used to produce cheese from milk

hope thats right :s

ReputationRep:

B) Inhibits MAO

and the question was: which one of these three drugs is dissimilar in structure to dopamine.

We know that receptors are specific, so if something binds to a receptor, then it must be similar in shape to dopamine. However, for an enzyme (which MAO is), it can be inhibited both competitively via binding to the active site, or non-competitively by changing the shape of the enzyme but not binding to the active site. therefore the answer is B, because it does not bind to receptors and yet inhibits MAO- it's a non-competitive inhibitor.
    Awhh Damn it, then I definately skimmed and misread the definitions for each of the drugs. Oh well, it was only 3 marks or so, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadMaths)
    is some1 ganna make a unofficial mark scheme
    we need a paper first

ReputationRep:

B) Inhibits MAO
    I thought C) translated to 'binds to Dopamine receptors which means more Dopamine is transmitted across the synapse'. I think therein lies the problem - the interpretation of the question. Now that I think about it I feel you were right, but thankfully it was only 2 marks so not a huge loss.

ReputationRep:
    without any hesitation, i wrote scanning electron microscope and apparently Ibaisayan looked it up and said i was right
    Is that the same as an Electron Light Microscope???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hopes)
    I do sympathise with you on that one....I'm feeling the after effects of the biology now- if I don't get the A then I don't go to uni :eek: so the worrying begins

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pgreg1)
    I thought C) translated to 'binds to Dopamine receptors which means more Dopamine is transmitted across the synapse'. I think therein lies the problem - the interpretation of the question. Now that I think about it I feel you were right, but thankfully it was only 2 marks so not a huge loss.
    well either way, it's the same sort of effect, and i remember that drug #3 was amphetamine so the interpretation definitely seems along the right lines anyway... only 2 marks though yep!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paperboat)
    Is that the same as an Electron Light Microscope???
    I think you've merged a light and electron microscope together lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hopes)
    I was fine until I went on TSR......now I feel like banging my head.............

ReputationRep:
    well either way, it's the same sort of effect, and i remember that drug #3 was amphetamine so the interpretation definitely seems along the right lines anyway... only 2 marks though yep!
    lol, I hope this is one of those ORA(or reverse argument) questions.......

cos I mis read the question, thinkning it was asking which one was most similar....... .....

ReputationRep:
    Electron microscope would suffice.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.