Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kbountra)
    I think you've merged a light and electron microscope together lol
    Ahh crap, so I did. Ha.

Right. Off this site as I'm only finding things that I did wrong, and getting depressed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinkerbelle ♥)
    I did indeedy, went through the whole process. Did you?

Whilst you're here.. thank you for the thread
    no problem i enjoyed it thoroughly, so many ups and downs but i hope every revision we did here paid off and GOod luck to you and i hope you get the grades needed to do zoology:p: do us all a favour when you become a qualified zoologist, slap a gorilla for all us and tell him 'in your face, you didn't come up in our exam!" ok lol and good luck to everyone in here as well thanks for all the help everyone i learned a lot of things in here and most of them makes no sense:p: but at least i learned something lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DR_X)
    screwed up the fly thingy.......also, the second 8 marker, I thought all you needed to do was talk about, transcription, translation and roles of proteins (in general).....is it critical that we link in about body plan and stuff?......
    That's what I did too! Transcription and translation in detail and then a little bit about how a tiny mutation can cause massive changes to development eg in cystic fibrosis and then blagged about making enzymes out of polypeptides and that they are important too! Ha. I put homeobox genes for the other question but didn't even think of including them here, got carried away with mrna etc I think!

General :
    And YAY I put scanning electron microscope! Purely because I knew it wasn't a light microscope and saw it was two marks and the only other word I could think of to add was scanning. Ha, lucky guess!

Put MAO for dopamine one too - it did say COULD be different, so it COULD be a non-competitive inhibitor.
    A same for giberellin question, though I believe it was 90% germination at 5.00 moldm-3 not 100%.

The only one I had to skip and come back to was the one about eye pigments in the flies and about gene coding to convert them or something?! What did everyone put for that?
    I kind of went off about enzymes and intermediate compounds and things so I'm not sure it's right.

Overall, like the paper! Yes it missed out a lot of stuff, but it could have been a LOT harder. SO glad there were no deep specifics on plant hormones etc and nothing on meiosis!

ReputationRep:
    for the microscope i wrote

transmission electron microscope. would i get a mark for electron microscope since it was worth two marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnthonyShock)
    Electron microscope would suffice.
    I don't think it will. It was 2 marks, I'd assume you get one mark for 'electron microscope' and 1 mark for 'scanning'. Unfortunately I just put transmission electron microscope as a guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by v1oXx-)
    Wow early start.
    any regrets? lol i remember when you said this back in january, i hope now that you realise that time is very precious
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    Well, it was okay . Now to revise for chemistry and my resit .

Ah bugger I out-clevered myself with the damn microscope question.

I instantly went 'Scanning Electron Microscope" and then said "Hold on! That thing is too big! for an electron one. What if it's just a light" Wrote light :/

Epic EPIC fail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Varciani)
    Oh damn, it didn't make that clear! I wrote about the general steps for genetic engineering like obtain the gene to be inserted, place into a vector, insert it via a BAC/virus etc... That sucks Thanks though!
    your answer is fine because it wasnt asking for insulin - it was asking for rennin (or whatever it was) which we havent learnt the precise technique of. You should still get quite a few marks

ReputationRep:
    FML.......all I needed was 44/100 to get my B, and I don't even know if I got that.....lame........I hate Biology with a vengence...:mad: ...

ReputationRep:
    Oh and would I be right with this for the base substitution, 21 base pair deletion or 13 base pair deletion:

13 Base pair deletion would cause most change to the gene as it would not only remove 4 codons from the translation sequence - and so remove 4 amino acids from the polypeptide - but it would also remove a base from the next codon, leaving it with 2. So a base would be taken from the next codon to solve that, and this continues to the end of the gene, changing every subsequent codon, and so changing every subsequent amino acid too'?? Not seen anyone comment on this question and imo it was the hardest one on the paper!

ReputationRep:
    i revised the day before.

Thought i did OK. Hated the epistasis and fly eyes questions. I'm lucky I woke up at 5 to revise conservation. Logging <3

ReputationRep:
    Oh and would I be right with this for the base substitution, 21 base pair deletion or 13 base pair deletion:

13 Base pair deletion would cause most change to the gene as it would not only remove 4 codons from the translation sequence - and so remove 4 amino acids from the polypeptide - but it would also remove a base from the next codon, leaving it with 2. So a base would be taken from the next codon to solve that, and this continues to the end of the gene, changing every subsequent codon, and so changing every subsequent amino acid too'?? Not seen anyone comment on this question and imo it was the hardest one on the paper!
    surely the 21 base pair could also cause this, it doesn;t have to delete exactly 7 triplet codes?......:o:

ReputationRep:

You could be on to something there....

Would cause a massive frame shift right?

e.g. if it was the huntingtons gene, and exactly 7 aa were deleted, it could still code for the functional polypeptide. But if 13 bases were deleted...it would **** up the protein.

Ahhhhhhhhhh damn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DR_X)
    surely the 21 base pair could also cause this, it doesn;t have to delete exactly 7 triplet codes?......:o:
    Yeah if it was taken from the middle of a codon, not if it was at the start of one, it would only delete 7 amino acids and leave the rest unchanged.

But yeah, that makes sense too. It was a suggest question though so there should be plenty of right answers

ReputationRep:

That really confused me. I had a suspicion it was 13 with something to do with number of codons but couldn't figure it out. Hope i got at least one mark for saying frame shift.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have a copy of the paper please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remarqable M)
    any regrets? lol i remember when you said this back in january, i hope now that you realise that time is very precious
    I wasted so much time going over papers from 2007-2009, in the hope some of that stuff would come up, but in the end, it was all the new stuff to the syllabus that came up.

I think I lost over 20 marks, but by my calculations, if it's 66/100 for an A, and 59 for an A (going on last year), 80/100 will be 150/150 UMS. Maybe it'll be a bit higher.

ReputationRep:
    what did people write for the one wher it said which was more dangerous - substitution of one base pair- deletion in 21 base pair- deletion in 13 base pair, i wrote 13 coz its not a multiple of 3 (as all amino acids are 3 bases) this will cause a frame shift throughout all of them..right??/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InvoluntarySlacker)
    i revised the day before.

Thought i did OK. Hated the epistasis and fly eyes questions. I'm lucky I woke up at 5 to revise conservation. Logging <3
    lol lucky you:p: if may i ask, what **** is logging? lol is it clearance of trees?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.