The Student Room Group

OCR 2010 A2 Biology Unit 2 - Control, Genome and Environment

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3680
ibysaiyan
Wooot! although I was 10 minutes late to start my paper I got it done about quarter hour before.I must admit the paper sucked in content wise all that boring gene stuff again and again there is so much other interesting stuff they could have asked oh well I lost about 3 marks :/ thats about it.
yep for the Chi square which got me shaky for a sec. but then I realized a question example in the book which had ratio 9:3:3:1 and how we get the observed value say for instance the total population was 144. There fore:
9/16x 144 = Value and so on.
=} so in this case 1/2 x 27 = your values
and 1/2 x 23 : I think ? if I remember correctly.
Oh also man about the 8 mark question on describing transgenic bacterium wow I used up the whole 24 lines!! that monster sucked much of my energy :frown:

The total population was 27+23=50
and then the expected ratio was 1:1 (as it confirmed in the next question) so it was 25.
+ then the X^2 value was 0.32
:colondollar: sorry ppz quick question....i cant find the box on the side that tell me whether sum1 has quoted me or not because i closed it...i was wondering if sum1 culd tell me how to get it back???? Sorryyy
I very much enjoyed that paper :biggrin: much nicer than the January one!
vertigo.0012
I very much enjoyed that paper :biggrin: much nicer than the January one!

u defo did not do the same paper as me!!!!
Reply 3684
A100whoo
Me too :frown: I wrote 21 as well, another question i thought i did correctly until i came on here ....

:frown:
Darinio
The total population was 27+23=50
and then the expected ratio was 1:1 (as it confirmed in the next question) so it was 25.
+ then the X^2 value was 0.32

I know I friggin messed it up :/ I hope they least give me 2 out of 4 ... for speaking on my calculation and the finding I made out of it. God I feel like stabbing myself <_< :mad:
What I instead did was 0.5 x 27 and 0.5 x 23!!!! damn it...
Reply 3686
_lynx_
I swear there were 2 marks for that question though :confused:

Yes there were.
ibysaiyan
I know I friggin messed it up :/ I hope they least give me 2 out of 4 ... for speaking on my calculation and the finding I made out of it. God I feel like stabbing myself <_< :mad:
What I instead did was 0.5 x 27 and 0.5 x 23!!!! damn it...

I know how you feel..i made a stupid mistake because i just blanked out completely..i forgot to add 27 and 23 together and took 27 to be the expected value :mad: i'm really regretting that silly mistake :frown:
how did people do the red eyed female and white eyed male question and why cant they be heterzygous
do you get a mark for saying electronic microscope for the microscope question by any chance?!
Reply 3690
anyone have any idea what i would roughly need to get to attain 75% in the marks, i know i might be being a bit too specific but to meet my medicine offer i need that and i cant even revise for chemistry cause this is playing so much on my mind :frown: anybody :frown:
hollypatana
do you get a mark for saying electronic microscope for the microscope question by any chance?!

A TEM for full two marks~ and as for madmaths post: I talked about the antagonistic relationship shared by dominant and recessive alleles no matter them being homo or hetero.
DR_X
why does it have to be exactly 7 triplets?.........:confused:

I guess it doesnt - I just assumed! Like because if there are 13 deleted there is definitely going to be one left over not involved in a triplet, and therefore definitely a frameshift.
Do you mean like the 21 could all be in different places? I guess that could be fair enough, but I just figured that the one that didn't divide by three would be more catastrophic because there is still a chance that with 21, that could just make 7 amino acids be deleted and no frameshift.

i don't think that made much sense, did it?! Haha :rolleyes:
hopes
anyone have any idea what i would roughly need to get to attain 75% in the marks, i know i might be being a bit too specific but to meet my medicine offer i need that and i cant even revise for chemistry cause this is playing so much on my mind :frown: anybody :frown:

75% off the paper or UMS? UMS would be about 113 ?
Reply 3694
hopes

Ah ha, that sounds very familiar. We must be the same person. Are you me? Have I gone schizophrenic? Am I going crazy?

75% is the magic number for me too. Its gonna be a long wait 'til August.
Reply 3695
ibysaiyan
75% off the paper or UMS? UMS would be about 113 ?

yeah mate :frown: any sort of idea how many raw marks i'd need cause it really seems to be affecting me alot now :frown:
franchango
I guess it doesnt - I just assumed! Like because if there are 13 deleted there is definitely going to be one left over not involved in a triplet, and therefore definitely a frameshift.
Do you mean like the 21 could all be in different places? I guess that could be fair enough, but I just figured that the one that didn't divide by three would be more catastrophic because there is still a chance that with 21, that could just make 7 amino acids be deleted and no frameshift.

i don't think that made much sense, did it?! Haha :rolleyes:

The question carried 4 marks :smile:
All we needed talk about was : Framshift more bases deleted "larger framshift" add to that the tertiary structure hence is changed as different amino acids are present and to make up the last bit of DNA is a degenerate code hence substitution wouldn't cause any damage in "this" case although sickle cell is caused by substitution.
DR_X
lol I talked about latent learning.....seeing how it also said, more explortary.....weird question.......

I started to put that but then confused myself by thinking about how it was humans and so exploring doesn't benefit them as much as it does animals? Hmm. Went with the sex answer! Haha. But couldn't remember the word 'promiscuous' for the life of me so it's probably not very eloquently put either! :rolleyes:
A100whoo
Me too :frown: I wrote 21 as well, another question i thought i did correctly until i came on here ....

oh damn me 3
I wish I trusted myself more
hopes
yeah mate :frown: any sort of idea how many raw marks i'd need cause it really seems to be affecting me alot now :frown:

75-75 to be exact!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending