Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moomooo)
    Eugh at lack of most of the syllabus and the vague questions, it's so frustrating to learn everything then hardly anything come up! Finding it really difficult to tell how I've done, need 54UMS for an A and 84ish for an A* so fingers crossed.

Oh I missed the sex thing on the DRD4 thing completely! Wrote about exploring to find food and competition blah blah, in ancient times not nowadays lol. Oh well.
    I put they're more likely to rape women and therefore pass on their genes :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadMaths)
    how did people do the red eyed female and white eyed male question and why cant they be heterzygous
    even though i didnt put this (damn it), i think the answer was cause the male only has one chromosome to carry the allele on. he cant be heterozygous cause he has an X and a Y, with the gene on the X. he can only be hemizygous or something?

ReputationRep:
    can anyone get hold of the paper somehow and upload it?
    i actually liked that paper, it was better than january. ive got the 13 base pair deletion wrong, was that 3 marks?
    also the DRD4 receptor i think ill only get 2 marks on it.
    Also, i put SCANNING ELECTRON MICROSCOPE is that right for 2 marks?
    Oh yeh i didnt put electrophoresis for the splitting of dna thing. i just put 'DNA analysis'.

What other questions are tripping people up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inzamam99)
    I put they're more likely to rape women and therefore pass on their genes :facepalm:
    HAHAHHA ROFL.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    75-75 to be exact!
    yeah but doesnt the UMS scale affect it alot aswell cause people were saying the longer papers grade boundary for an A were 68/100 and stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redfanatic)
    i actually liked that paper, it was better than january. ive got the 13 base pair deletion wrong, was that 3 marks?
    Oh yeh i didnt put electrophoresis for the splitting of dna thing. i just put 'DNA analysis'.

yeeh i put genome sequencing rather than electrophoresis :facepalm:

and scanning electron microscope is rght i believe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redfanatic)

I stupidly subed wrong numbers for chi square question.That + 3 marks for the genetic diagram ... I am hoping to get least half for the chi square question.
    Rest was too much wordy... :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    oh damn me 3
    I wish I trusted myself more

Me four ahah

When I was in the exam I was thinking it was a bit weird and obvious that there were two deletion options, and that they might be trying to lead you to say the larger number But I didn't think it through enough! FML

How many marks was that question?

ReputationRep:
    A TEM for full two marks~ and as for madmaths post: I talked about the antagonistic relationship shared by dominant and recessive alleles no matter them being homo or hetero.
    lol no one seems to agree whether its a TEM or a SEM, I know its only two marks though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hopes)
    yeah but doesnt the UMS scale affect it alot aswell cause people were saying the longer papers grade boundary for an A were 68/100 and stuff
    Oh is it!? I didnt know that... well thats pretty low then like 32 raw marks ?

ReputationRep:
    how did people do the red eyed female and white eyed male question and why cant they be heterzygous
    Is this the why can't the parents be heterozygous question? I completely blanked on this one, and in the last 5 minutes scribbled something about the ratio not being correct, and if they were heterozygous, the ratio would be 3:1, but it was 1:1 in the table :confused: *shrug*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by treesaregreenandtall)
    Me four ahah

When I was in the exam I was thinking it was a bit weird and obvious that there were two deletion options, and that they might be trying to lead you to say the larger number But I didn't think it through enough! FML

How many marks was that question?
    I thought the exact same thing but couldnt resist the lure of the big shiny number

ReputationRep:
    lol no one seems to agree whether its a TEM or a SEM, I know its only two marks though
    Sorry a typo its SEM!

ReputationRep:
    i think it was basically because it you had a heterozygous female (which is what the question said) you would still produce all the allele combinations regardless of sex
    but only white eyed males and red eyed females were produced so the characteristic must have been sex linked

:\

ReputationRep:
    It was definitely SEM, because the picture was 3D. TEMs don't give a 3D image

ReputationRep:
    it might be like 66- 68/100 for an A as it was not an easy paper and it was quite long

ReputationRep:
    Sorry a typo its SEM!
    lol, this seems to be about the only question on the entire Ive got right

ReputationRep:
    HAHAHHA ROFL.....
    Who know though it's a valid point I think :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clever)
    it might be like 66- 68/100 for an A as it was not an easy paper and it was quite long
    Its was awfully long .... I used up whole 24 lines for the 8 marker!! which prob. took me anywhere to 10 minutes .....
    Curses just a world cup match today <_< ..... sucks man....

ReputationRep:
    did something totally stupid, in the 8 mark genetic engineering of bacteria question, I started writing about stuff like vectors but then started underneath it again from scratch with stuff about plasmids and recombinant dna
    how the hell are they going to know which one to mark?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 29, 2014
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.