Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was a pretty good paper I'm glad the long questions were on topics I knew fairly comprehensively I REALLY hope I get the A* I so desperately need...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    did something totally stupid, in the 8 mark genetic engineering of bacteria question, I started writing about stuff like vectors but then started underneath it again from scratch with stuff about plasmids and recombinant dna
    how the hell are they going to know which one to mark?
    In the question they hinted " the renin is found in the lining of the calves gut or something" which made me think of M-rna and islets of langerhans hence apply reverse transcription and all.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    did something totally stupid, in the 8 mark genetic engineering of bacteria question, I started writing about stuff like vectors but then started underneath it again from scratch with stuff about plasmids and recombinant dna
    how the hell are they going to know which one to mark?
    They'll mark it all, because they didn't state a number of points to give, so anything written on the page they'll mark. So you should be ok. At worst, they'll take the quality of written communication mark off you, but at least you'll get the points

ReputationRep:
    Plus, I think the first big marker question was a bit naughty! Because I interpreted it as asking about how rennin is genetically engineered, so plasmids, restriction enzymes, DNA ligase and all that malarky, but in italics it wrote something like 'ensure you describe how each step is sequenced', which could easily cause people to start writing about the chain termination method/genome sequencing etc... Bit sneaky if you ask me...

ReputationRep:
    What exactly did you have to say in the Genetically engineering bacteria question ?

I wrote about copying the gene using reverse transcriptase and add base pairs to form sticky ends, place in a cut plasmid, use DNA ligase to join sugar phosphate backbones and place with bacteria cells. Bacteria takes up plasmid and transcribes and translates the rennin gene.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    In the question they hinted " the renin is found in the lining of the calves gut or something" which made me think of M-rna and islets of langerhans hence apply reverse transcription and all.....
    ye same here, I started going on about how first youd have to get the mrna out and then the vector thing and then the electric shock/inject the gen. info.

(Original post by Tacita)
    They'll mark it all, because they didn't state a number of points to give, so anything written on the page they'll mark. So you should be ok. At worst, they'll take the quality of written communication mark off you, but at least you'll get the points
    Im such a nobhead, thanks for the reassurance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tacita)
    I have the markscheme for the Jan exam
    Can you send it to me please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    exactly what i did, went on about reverse transcriptase and etc. i even talked about replica plating and how you can have 3 types of bacteria.

the base pair deletion question, how many marks was it?
    also the DRD4 receptor being passed on how many marks was it.

ALSO, for the first question on biotechnological process, i wrote about how it is combining biotechnology and biology, and that machinery is used in the process, and that its all used to make foods and other products that we can use. i didnt say 'industrially', will i still get 2 marks you reckon?

erm the chi-squared question was 0.32 right?? and we accepted that the difference was due to chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uer23)
    What exactly did you have to say in the Genetically engineering bacteria question ?

I wrote about copying the gene using reverse transcriptase and add base pairs to form sticky ends, place in a cut plasmid, use DNA ligase to join sugar phosphate backbones and place with bacteria cells. Bacteria takes up plasmid and transcribes and translates the rennin gene.
    i just started at the rennin gene is isolated using restriction enzymes..
    yadayada
    then about how bacteria are forced to take up plasmids
    then marker genes and identifying transformed cells
    then teency bit about fermentation vessels
    Oh and i also said a promoter might need to be added aswell :\

ReputationRep:
    What did you peeps say when it asked:
    'Suggest two characteristics researchers look for...'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redfanatic)
    exactly what i did, went on about reverse transcriptase and etc. i even talked about replica plating and how you can have 3 types of bacteria.

the base pair deletion question, how many marks was it?
    also the DRD4 receptor being passed on how many marks was it.

ALSO, for the first question on biotechnological process, i wrote about how it is combining biotechnology and biology, and that machinery is used in the process, and that its all used to make foods and other products that we can use. i didnt say 'industrially', will i still get 2 marks you reckon?

erm the chi-squared question was 0.32 right?? and we accepted that the difference was due to chance.
    I wrote the whole script LOL add plating + plasmid + promoters + dna polymerase + ligases + electrophoresis and what not. Eight marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smflesh)
    I had no idea. Similar embryology and physiology?

ReputationRep:
    I put organisms that develope quickly, and organisms that are easily observed. Total guess...

ReputationRep:
    I said:
    - Animals with a number of distinct segments as Homeobox genes control segmentation
    - Animals in which the embryology can easily be studied, so they can be seen developing and the effect of the genes can be seen

What did other people put though coz that one threw me quite a bit..?

ReputationRep:

i had no idea either really..
    but i wrote from the same kingdom
    and show evidence of genes controlling body plan - e.g. apoptosis

ReputationRep:
    Reproduce rapidly and lol, aren't an endangered species

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by v1oXx-)
    Can you send it to me please?
    Couldn't PM for some reason.

Am I allowed to post this here? =o
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Jan_10_Biology.pdf (227.0 KB, 64 views)

ReputationRep:
    My choices were:
    an organism that that simple homeobox gene development (simple body plan)
    An organism that has similar homeobox genes to humans.

maybe not the best choices I could have gone for

ReputationRep:
    -Reproduce rapidly
    -Low number of chromosomes so can be easily manipulated in a lab

ReputationRep:
    I made up some rubbish about species with a clear to identify and easy to study body plan, e.g. obvious segmentation. Was probably a waste of my ink though. ARGH.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 29, 2014

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.