Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CertifiedAngel)
    Almost finished all notes on module 3 - its so far the easiest module. Really finding it hard to understand the genetic stuff from chapter 11 onwards. Will try to tackle that tomorrow. At school we haven't done module 2 so im going to have to teach myself that in the easter holidays =/. Cant wait to get biology out of the way tbh. The first unit was so much more interesting, this unit is bland and theres too much to cover
    what rating would you give module 3 in terms of difficulty? do you think i could self teach it myself?

and finally could you please post your notes on module 3 i might need them:p:
    i want to get module 3 out of the way so i can concentrate on module 1, 2 and 4

Bold : i agree with this, especialy module 1:boring:

ReputationRep:
    Might start Biotech - Mod 2 today... Hmm, is it a good module? Easy to learn?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student92)
    Im also starting this today
    fingers crossed that itll be an easy topic, hated genetics

btw do you guys think its better revising the old stuff first (as im retaking the seal exam) then the new stuff or vice versa?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chuck111)

btw do you guys think its better revising the old stuff first (as im retaking the seal exam) then the new stuff or vice versa?
    a bit of F214, but make sure you spend more time on F215

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm bored. Anyone want to ask me a question on module 1?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolinGirl)
    Hi I'm bored. Anyone want to ask me a question on module 1?
    Epistasis tell me all about it:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chuck111)

Hey. Im resiting the seal exam too, I just read through the book now and again, but focusing on this exam at the moment... I have like 9 days later to revise f214 24/7 :P

Cloning bit seems alright

ReputationRep:
    Epistasis

- The interaction of different gene loci
    - One gene loci masks the expression of another gene loci.

Working antagonistically

- Allele of the first gene is epistatic of the allele for the second gene which is hypostatic.
    - Reduces phenotypic variation.

Recessive epistasis

e.g. Flower colours in Salvia.
    - Purple (B) and Pink (b) are only expressed if there is a dominant allele (A) on the second gene.
    Purple - A-B-
    Pink - A-bb
    White - aabb, aaB-
    Ratio - 9: 3 :4

Dominant epistasis

e.g. Feather colours in poultry
    - Individuals carrying a dominant allele on the first gene have white feathers even if they have another dominant allele on the second gene for coloured feathers.
    White - aabb, A-B-, A-bb
    Coloured - aaB-
    Ratio - 12: 3 :1 or 13:3

Working in a complementary fashion

e.g. sweet peas
    - One dominant allele is expressed on both the first and second gene loci.
    - Homozygous recessive condition on either gene loci masks the expression of the dominant allele on the other gene locus.
    Purple - C-R-
    White - ccR-, C-rr
    Ratio - 9:7

ReputationRep:
    its okay. pretty easy, simple stuff. much easier than genetics, which im still trying to get my head round

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ACDC)
    its okay. pretty easy, simple stuff. much easier than genetics, which im still trying to get my head round
    :o: i thought i was the only

ReputationRep:
    Its good albeit more advanced compared to rest of the stuff you come across tissue culture,genetic engineering stuff and all.... way better than genetic linkage.

ReputationRep:
    In genetic linkage all we know to is well bit of maths (more of stats) + two important law of mendel: Law of multiple assortment and law of segregation i haven't touched BIO at all so far , about time i nail it on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remarqable M)
    what rating would you give module 3 in terms of difficulty? do you think i could self teach it myself?

and finally could you please post your notes on module 3 i might need them:p:
    i want to get module 3 out of the way so i can concentrate on module 1, 2 and 4

Bold : i agree with this, especialy module 1:boring:
    The nitrogen cycle is interesting, we covered methods of sampling, conservation and sustainability in last year's june module and the succession stuff isnt too bad. Sure thing

You definately could im my opinion, it really is the better module out of the other 3. hmm dunno ill test myself and see how much i actually understand before giving it a rating lol

ReputationRep:
    Seems alright at the moment... cloning bit is simple to learn... Genetics is kinda hard... still tryna get my head around epistasis!

ReputationRep:
    We're gonna finish the side of the syllabus we're doing with our retarded teacher but were not actually gonna finish it with the good one... She's given us a whole chapter to learn ourselves over Easter :p:

ReputationRep:
    Am I right in saying that.. we all have two alleles of each gene (e.g. AA or aa or Aa: one paternal and one maternal)? If so, are these two alleles of the same gene at the same loci on one chromosome or the same loci over two chromosomes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smflesh)
    Am I right in saying that.. we all have two alleles of each gene (e.g. AA or aa or Aa: one paternal and one maternal)? If so, are these two alleles of the same gene at the same loci on one chromosome or the same loci over two chromosomes?
    Alleles are different series of genetic locus err answering your question there is possibility of more than 2 alleles such as in blood groups but individual has one from paternal and other from maternal also from what i recall crossing over takes in the start of meiosis.
    Speaking of which i need to revise bio.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    Alleles are different series of genetic locus err answering your question there is possibility of more than 2 alleles such as in blood groups but individual has one from paternal and other from maternal also from what i recall crossing over takes in the start of meiosis.
    Speaking of which i need to revise bio.
    Thank you, tbh, all this genetic stuff is quite confusing imo =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smflesh)
    Thank you, tbh, all this genetic stuff is quite confusing imo =/
    Np yea basically all you need to know in genetics= meiosis + mendels law of segregation + law of multiple assortment.Once these are sorted

ReputationRep:
    Thread seems kinda quite... Hope your all revising! Haa

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 29, 2014

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.