Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student92)
    Thread seems kinda quite... Hope your all revising! Haa
    Just started Bio. Making up notes as i type.Will post down later .

ReputationRep:
    Can't believe how boring this unit is to revise. My teacher also told me that basically his career is resting on me getting an A*... brilliant.

I mean at least January was somewhat interesting, insulin was great, but WHO GIVES A **** ABOUT ECOSYSTEMS! Seriously

Am currently on meiosis but skipped out a bit of the syllabus after the lac operon because I want to check something with my teacher.. hopefully will finish module 1 this weekend or by monday evening so that I can start Unit two on Thursday...

Meh.

Also have only done the qualitative ISA so far and it went shockingly.. not looking forward to the quantitive and evaluative. Compared to last year and chemistry we seriously are so badly prepared! We've been given NO guidance and have done NO practicals since September... no idea what to revise, will go over the stuff that came up on the qualitative but I'm so angry, some of the stuff on the qualitive we haven't done in class for over a year and had no guidance that we needed to study that. Meh! At least January was a high score so would make up for it somewhat. I hope practicals don't cost me an A*..

ReputationRep:
    and some of you are so far in the syllabus! We literally finished module 2 last week. Somehow they're going to try and teach is module 3 and 4 in the five weeks we'll have back at college. Yeah that's going to happen! Maybe they'll do what they did last year, and give us the last module as a time to learn "self-directed study skills"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    and some of you are so far in the syllabus! We literally finished module 2 last week. Somehow they're going to try and teach is module 3 and 4 in the five weeks we'll have back at college. Yeah that's going to happen! Maybe they'll do what they did last year, and give us the last module as a time to learn "self-directed study skills"
    Haha anything positive :P But I know what you mean... I hate learning about all this plant stuff... more into the human body. WOW.. you get no guidance at all for practicals, my Chemistry teacher is way too helpful Were at the same position as you, only just finished mod 1 and 2 at school... Argh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    Just started Bio. Making up notes as i type.Will post down later .
    ahh... multitasking, niiiiice!

ReputationRep:
    ahh... multitasking, niiiiice!
    Doing meiosis boring....

ReputationRep:
    Haha anything positive :P But I know what you mean... I hate learning about all this plant stuff... more into the human body. WOW.. you get no guidance at all for practicals, my Chemistry teacher is way too helpful Were at the same position as you, only just finished mod 1 and 2 at school... Argh!
    chemistry I felt really prepared for. Just biology I'm not. And no nothing positive to say about biology at the moment feeling very disheartened and demotivated.

Good luck finishing mod 3 and 4! The animal bit of mod 4 will be nice after so much on plants, variation and genetics!

I'm just genuinly hating this module which is a shame because I really liked the jan module and it's so hard to make yourself revise something you hate.. I just find myself going back to chemistry and revising something that is more interesting lol

ReputationRep:
    Doing meiosis boring....
    same! have just drawn all the little diagrams out, colouring them in was a bit of a displacement activity :teehee:

going to give up and go to bed now

ReputationRep:
    Meh after the splendid grades we had for over practicals (first attempt) our bio teacher literally had a paragraph of stuff noted on the board while we did our practicals again( 2nd attempt) ^.^
    And seeing that i am resiting f214 <_< of which 85% i still remember is a pain *****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    same! have just drawn all the little diagrams out, colouring them in was a bit of a displacement activity :teehee:

going to give up and go to bed now
    Well goodnight to you and Morning to me /

ReputationRep:
    Ah k some notes on meiosis:

Prophase 1: Chromosomes condense to thread like structure also during this bivalents are formed.Bivalents and homologuos pair of chromosomes.Chasimata's form too (cross-linking of chromatins between homologous pairs).

Pro-Metaphase: Chromosomes condensed enough to be visible.
    Meta-phase: Nuclear envelope disappears / centrioles reach the pole/spindle forms.

Anaphase 1: Each of the paired homologous chromosome is pulled by the microtubules towards the poles.At this stage no. of chromosomes is halved.

Telophase 1: Chromosomes decondense and two nuclei form.
    Cytokinesis 1: Plasma membrane folds inwards such that 2 cells are produced EACH HAVING HALF SET OF THE ORIGINAL CHROMOSOMES.

Prophase 2: Chromosomes condense/spindle forms.
    Metaphase 2:Nuclear envelope disappears,Chromosomes pulled towards the equator.
    Anaphase 2:Centromeres divide such that each chromatid becomes a chromosome.
    Telophase 2: Formation of 4 nuclei / chromosome decondense.
    Cytokinesis 2: 4 daughter cells formed with each having half the number of the original(chromatid)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    chemistry I felt really prepared for. Just biology I'm not. And no nothing positive to say about biology at the moment feeling very disheartened and demotivated.

Good luck finishing mod 3 and 4! The animal bit of mod 4 will be nice after so much on plants, variation and genetics!

I'm just genuinly hating this module which is a shame because I really liked the jan module and it's so hard to make yourself revise something you hate.. I just find myself going back to chemistry and revising something that is more interesting lol
    I love chemistry... really interesting, I find it easier to learn than Bio aswell - but that may be just because my Bio teachers are rubbish :P Good luck to you too, just develop a passion for plants. Ha!

ReputationRep:
    Ah k some notes on meiosis:

Prophase 1: Chromosomes condense to thread like structure also during this bivalents are formed.Bivalents and homologuos pair of chromosomes.Chasimata's form too (cross-linking of chromatins between homologous pairs).

Pro-Metaphase: Chromosomes condensed enough to be visible.
    Meta-phase: Nuclear envelope disappears / centrioles reach the pole/spindle forms.

Anaphase 1: Each of the paired homologous chromosome is pulled by the microtubules towards the poles.At this stage no. of chromosomes is halved.

Telophase 1: Chromosomes decondense and two nuclei form.
    Cytokinesis 1: Plasma membrane folds inwards such that 2 cells are produced EACH HAVING HALF SET OF THE ORIGINAL CHROMOSOMES.

Prophase 2: Chromosomes condense/spindle forms.
    Metaphase 2:Nuclear envelope disappears,Chromosomes pulled towards the equator.
    Anaphase 2:Centromeres divide such that each chromatid becomes a chromosome.
    Telophase 2: Formation of 4 nuclei / chromosome decondense.
    Cytokinesis 2: 4 daughter cells formed with each having half the number of the original(chromatid)
    When do you go to sleep :O Insomniac?

ReputationRep:
    When do you go to sleep :O Insomniac?
    I dont honestly speaking... (( see i havent slept yet..

ReputationRep:
    Meiosis is lovely? What do you guys have against it?

ReputationRep:
    I dont honestly speaking... (( see i havent slept yet..
    Wow! your very commited - I presume you revise all night :P

ReputationRep:
    Jesus this unit is so hard to revise for. I've never struggled this much. Even when I'm writing my notes I feel like I only just understand it, don't properly understand it if you know what I mean.

Also I don't know how to make notes on genetic diagrams, any ideas? The book is kind of lame on that part.

ReputationRep:
    I understand that DNA probed anneal with single stranded pieced of DNA to idnetify certain sequences. But aren't all the DNA frgaments double stranded except at the sticky ends?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolinGirl)
    Meiosis is lovely? What do you guys have against it?
    Meiosis is fine, it's all the genetic diagrams and then animal cloning and biotechnology and 'plant behaviour' alkdjf gah :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    Meiosis is fine, it's all the genetic diagrams and then animal cloning and biotechnology and 'plant behaviour' alkdjf gah :rolleyes:
    Ok, genetic diagrams and epistasis, codominance stuff takes a while to get. But I think that the animal cloning and biotechnology is pretty straightforward. Plant behaviour is dull, which is why its hard to revise.

I'd be happy to explain animal cloning & biotechnology if you want.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.