The Student Room Group

OCR 2010 A2 Biology Unit 2 - Control, Genome and Environment

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
ViolinGirl
Ok, genetic diagrams and epistasis, codominance stuff takes a while to get. But I think that the animal cloning and biotechnology is pretty straightforward. Plant behaviour is dull, which is why its hard to revise.

I'd be happy to explain animal cloning & biotechnology if you want. :biggrin:

I haven't got onto module 2 yet, but it's not so much understanding I tend to be okay with that, its just that I find it so boring I'd rather chew of my left arm than revise it for another minute. Thank you for the offer, I might take you up on it when I get onto module 2! :biggrin:

Quick question how did you make your notes on the genetic diagram stuff? I skipped that out and went onto variation because I wasn't sure how to do my notes/what would be the best way.

I don't think I'm struggling to understand it but it feels a lot of the time that I'm only just getting it whereas I normally fully understand a topic. But we've still got time right? Maybe if I go through it again and do some questions I'll be okay. But like with the random assortment of chromosomes in metaphase I, I know that it creates variation because the maternal and paternal chromosomes align along the equator in a random order. But I just can't picture this. What does it mean? I can't visualise it my head... so although I might be able to regurgitate the information parrot fashion I don't feel as if I fully understand it and so don't feel confident about this module at all, if you get what I mean :o:

I'm going to try and do environmental factors etc today then leave it.. want to finish module 1 by monday but I feel short bursts are the way to go so that I don't end up getting too frustrated!!

Oh also you know with the body plans/homeobox part of the syllabus do we actually have to remember the stuff about the fly? Or is that just an example the book gave us?
ViolinGirl
Ok, genetic diagrams and epistasis, codominance stuff takes a while to get. But I think that the animal cloning and biotechnology is pretty straightforward. Plant behaviour is dull, which is why its hard to revise.

I'd be happy to explain animal cloning & biotechnology if you want. :biggrin:

Animal cloning + genome and biotechnology stuff is one piece of art also plant growth hormones :wink:...
Its pretty straight forward agreed genetics looks dull + lame is easy tbh once you get the idea.
lekky
I haven't got onto module 2 yet, but it's not so much understanding I tend to be okay with that, its just that I find it so boring I'd rather chew of my left arm than revise it for another minute. Thank you for the offer, I might take you up on it when I get onto module 2! :biggrin:

Quick question how did you make your notes on the genetic diagram stuff? I skipped that out and went onto variation because I wasn't sure how to do my notes/what would be the best way.

I don't think I'm struggling to understand it but it feels a lot of the time that I'm only just getting it whereas I normally fully understand a topic. But we've still got time right? Maybe if I go through it again and do some questions I'll be okay. But like with the random assortment of chromosomes in metaphase I, I know that it creates variation because the maternal and paternal chromosomes align along the equator in a random order. But I just can't picture this. What does it mean? I can't visualise it my head... so although I might be able to regurgitate the information parrot fashion I don't feel as if I fully understand it and so don't feel confident about this module at all, if you get what I mean :o:

I'm going to try and do environmental factors etc today then leave it.. want to finish module 1 by monday but I feel short bursts are the way to go so that I don't end up getting too frustrated!!

Oh also you know with the body plans/homeobox part of the syllabus do we actually have to remember the stuff about the fly? Or is that just an example the book gave us?

Stuff on antp? i dont think so although we need to be familiar with its definition + what they code for : i.e homeobox genes code for "proteins"
which transcribe on specific parts of dna and that they are homologous
My revision for biology is starting from Monday:p: :biggrin:
ViolinGirl
Meiosis is lovely? What do you guys have against it? :biggrin:

Lovely? :lol: ofcourse it's lovely nothing is more lovely than meiosis:p: i find it amazing how this process can introduce variation:biggrin:
Sakujo
I understand that DNA probed anneal with single stranded pieced of DNA to idnetify certain sequences. But aren't all the DNA frgaments double stranded except at the sticky ends?

Here is what happens from what i recall:
Annealing is one of the process in dna polymerase reaction or in genome sequencing, where primers a short segment of dna about 18-20b.p is added to the fragments of dna (Note remember that dna by now has been broken down,resuspended and precipitated in the solution by which i mean the OH bonds between the bases + the sugar-phosphate chains are broken down, giving is Single stranded Dna )
So basically a dna polymerase cant just stick onto any complementary base as it needs a start point: Here comes a primer which fits complementary to a particular genes start point.So dna polymerization a.k.a PCR takes place...
Later tagged nucleotied among other various enzymes are added.These tagged nucleotied in a sense are "tagged with certain color " lol + doubly de-oxidised.Just a plain summary of bits on genome sequecing + PCR.
I will be glad to reply back on any further issues on this + genetics+ tissue culture <-- yep boring as hell...
Through easter off i haven't done much of bio .. only meiosis as of now grr.. :frown:( blame my sleeping pattern.
Remarqable M
Lovely? :lol: ofcourse it's lovely nothing is more lovely than meiosis:p: i find it amazing how this process can introduce variation:biggrin:

Sure is amazing... variation as a result of independent assortment <-- which i am bit hay wire of + chiasmata(crossing over)..
You know what confuses me in meiosis? its stuff like what are haploids,dipolid which i now understand i think lol..
Diploid(zygote) being: 2n: 2(23) while haploid (23) chromosomes (gamete): such as sperm or ovary.
Remarqable M
My revision for biology is starting from Monday:p: :biggrin:

Same here with a week do to some bang on revision.. god damn it..12 exams in june :s-smilie: with fp2 being hardcore....
:frown: :s-smilie:
Not to mention f214 resit....
Mine already started :wink:
skatealexia
Mine already started :wink:

Good good :p:
Reply 470
Is the cladistic approach and the linnean classification just differen ways of classifying phylogenetic species??
lekky

Hmm..didn't really make notes on genetic diagram stuff, just how each type of crossing works really. I think we also need to know the ratios of the different crosses, so I need to go over that. I think its best to just find some genetic questions and do them. At the moment I don't know which past papers of the old syllabus contain the questions for these modules, so i haven't done much genetics.

With the random assortment and further segregation of the maternal and paternal chromosomes---> you know that they have come together in prophase to form homologous pairs/bivalents. Just imagine these lining up in the centre, with each of the materal/paternal sides of the joint chromsomes (bivalents) facing different ways. When they segregate each cell therefore has a random assortement of the chromosomes. :smile:

As to the body plans/homobox sequences I think that we only need to know that the development and control of body plans is regulated by homobox genes, which are held in hox clusters, and these determine the positioning of body organs as well as the polarity. Perhaps also, how an excess of vitamin A in the body can interfere with the normal expression of these genes, and this is known to cause birth defects. Perhaps linking this back to apoptosis also, and how this is also involved in the development of the body.
Remarqable M

haha. Didn't realise I put a question mark there. Oops. Yes it is lovely :smile:

All those lovely chromosomes and the variation they cause in their magical ways :biggrin:
Reply 473
Thank you violingirl :smile:

I'm seriously suprised with how much I am struggling with module 1. I've never struggled with biology before. I'm hoping I've just had a bad day and tomorrow it will become clearer. Otherwise I'll just carry on to module 2 and make sure I go back over module 1 again a few times until it all properly clicks
ViolinGirl
Hmm..didn't really make notes on genetic diagram stuff, just how each type of crossing works really. I think we also need to know the ratios of the different crosses, so I need to go over that. I think its best to just find some genetic questions and do them. At the moment I don't know which past papers of the old syllabus contain the questions for these modules, so i haven't done much genetics.

With the random assortment and further segregation of the maternal and paternal chromosomes---> you know that they have come together in prophase to form homologous pairs/bivalents. Just imagine these lining up in the centre, with each of the materal/paternal sides of the joint chromsomes (bivalents) facing different ways. When they segregate each cell therefore has a random assortement of the chromosomes. :smile:

As to the body plans/homobox sequences I think that we only need to know that the development and control of body plans is regulated by homobox genes, which are held in hox clusters, and these determine the positioning of body organs as well as the polarity. Perhaps also, how an excess of vitamin A in the body can interfere with the normal expression of these genes, and this is known to cause birth defects. Perhaps linking this back to apoptosis also, and how this is also involved in the development of the body.

Straight on
I see a question probing on Retinol :P who knows.. they might ask on the Golden rice (dull stuff) and the use of sequencing ,beta-caretenoid....
ibysaiyan
Straight on
I see a question probing on Retinol :P who knows.. they might ask on the Golden rice (dull stuff) and the use of sequencing ,beta-caretenoid....

We haven't been taught that stuff yet. We just got onto the automated DNA sequencing with all the sticky end stuff. :smile:
I think if I have time I will teach myself the rice/insulin/plasmids section.
But the teacher has already set us the entire module 3 to do on our own! It is so dull and haven't started. We are kinda behind atm. :frown:
I've done module one, done module two apart from the gene technology (done the biotechnology) done all of module 3 and am currently summarising the muscle section in module 4, so have animal behaviour left to do. It's going to bore me so much, since I did it for biology GCSE and Psychology AS, all the classical conditioning etc. Hopefully that means it won't require too much work :smile:

At the time I moaned, but I am so glad we did ALL of module three in the period after last years June exams, otherwise I'd be so much more stressed right now.
xXxBaby-BooxXx
I've done module one, done module two apart from the gene technology (done the biotechnology) done all of module 3 and am currently summarising the muscle section in module 4, so have animal behaviour left to do. It's going to bore me so much, since I did it for biology GCSE and Psychology AS, all the classical conditioning etc. Hopefully that means it won't require too much work :smile:

At the time I moaned, but I am so glad we did ALL of module three in the period after last years June exams, otherwise I'd be so much more stressed right now.

How many exams do you have to do? We haven't started on module 3, its been set as a 'self study' and we have just touched on module 4. I am actually quite scared.
xXxBaby-BooxXx

Nice work! :smile: i am hoping to finish most by myself too :wink:
ViolinGirl
How many exams do you have to do? We haven't started on module 3, its been set as a 'self study' and we have just touched on module 4. I am actually quite scared.

Err you see we use the mary jones book aka mama jones lol so its hard to tell when most users here say module one or two :p: which are those?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending