Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    Err you see we use the mary jones book aka mama jones lol so its hard to tell when most users here say module one or two :p: which are those?
    Oh right. I am using the OCR one (Sue Hocking I think). One-mainly genetics 2-Biotechnology 3-Ecosystems etc 4-Brain, plants, behaviour etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolinGirl)
    Oh right. I am using the OCR one (Sue Hocking I think). One-mainly genetics 2-Biotechnology 3-Ecosystems etc 4-Brain, plants, behaviour etc.
    Oh k.Thanks .

ReputationRep:
    Oh k.Thanks .
    How come you have so many exams in june?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Nice work! i am hoping to finish most by myself too
    Ahhh well luckily this year I haven't been set any self study. My teachers have become quite efficient at getting through the course

ReputationRep:
    Thought of making down notes as i whiz through
    OK
    First er not to confuse Co-dominance with Epistasis.In Co-dominance both alleles show their phenotype(none masked) (example blood group)while epistasis is the control of one particular phenotype by two or more genes.For example take ratatouille
    Allele BB/Bb = codes for an enzyme to convert tyrosine to melanin and allele b for no enzyme (an albino).
    And Allele A produces enzyme TYRP1(varies quantity of melanin) which depending on allele type produces either agouti or black color coat.
    Allele: aa = black and alleles AA/Aa = agouti.
    Epistatic allele: B
    Hypostatic allele:A
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    How many exams do you have to do? We haven't started on module 3, its been set as a 'self study' and we have just touched on module 4. I am actually quite scared.
    I have 4. Two maths, biology and chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    How come you have so many exams in june?
    :.( what can i say... last year i was truly sucked into a e-blackhole ... wasted my time running around websites/forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    I have 4. Two maths, biology and chemistry.
    i have 12-13 meh dont remember.. to me 13 is as bad as 14 or either way around and i aiming for A*A*A
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    i have 12-13 meh dont remember.. to me 13 is as bad as 14 or either way around and i aiming for A*A*A
    I need AAB, but I'd like AAA as then I'm eligible for some lovely scholarships

I'm sitting on AAA atm, but only just, with 7 UMS to drop in chemistry, 15 in maths and 18 in biology.

I just hope I don't screw up the June exams like I did last year.

I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine, you seem very knowledgeable on this thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    I need AAB, but I'd like AAA as then I'm eligible for some lovely scholarships

I'm sitting on AAA atm, but only just, with 7 UMS to drop in chemistry, 15 in maths and 18 in biology.

I just hope I don't screw up the June exams like I did last year.

I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine, you seem very knowledgeable on this thread
    Alas wish it was that way :/ not with what happen during the winter exams ... anyhow thats all in the past ..
    Good luck to you too.

ReputationRep:
    Chi square basiaclly is based on Null hypothesis , in which the result you get from chi square (a value) tells if the hypothesis can be true or not for a particular experiment,mathematically its sigma (O-E)^2/E

where O: is the observed allele frequency,E: Expected frequency
    For example:
    say we made a punnet square cross linkage:btw. tomato plants and get phenotypic ratio of:
    9 :3:3:1 <---- this result of ours is expected.
    So in total of 144 offspring's we get:

9/16 x 144 = 81
    3/16 x 144 = 27
    3/16 x 144 = 27
    1/16 x 144 = 9
    These are our expected values from the experiment but say what we observe are different values:
    So we would like to know whether this experiment of ours is valid or not for which we use CHI squared value.
    so using the formula we get x^2 = 0.79
    We compare this value to the probability table provided : Usually in biology a table of 0.05 is used in which a difference of 5 in every 100 experiments occur. 5/100= 0.05 or 1/20 = 0.05.
    So for 0.05 value given in the table is : 7.82 again we need to sort out the degree of freedom first. This basically is the No. of choices (phenotype given) - 1 : in this case 4-1 : 3.
    So on a 0.05 column 3rd row we get: 7.82.
    So our values of O<E.This proves our hypothesis of 9:3:3:1 .

ReputationRep:
    How many exams do you have to do? We haven't started on module 3, its been set as a 'self study' and we have just touched on module 4. I am actually quite scared.
    same except they won't admit that we will have to self-study module 3 until maybe a week before we leave for study leave :rolleyes: we've literally JUST finished module 2.

Also are you finding the OCR book as **** to learn from as I am? OCR chem book is great but biology just seems impossible to self-teach from!

ReputationRep:
    Finished module 1 today. There is a lot that I don't 'fully grasp' and so I probably should spend time going over those areas again before I move on to module 2 but I just can't bring myself to do it :p:
    So tomorrow I'm doing maths, Wednesday english & chem, am away Wednesday till Saturday and will start module 2 on saturday. Yay a nice break from biology

ReputationRep:
    Chi square basiaclly is based on Null hypothesis , in which the result you get from chi square (a value) tells if the hypothesis can be true or not for a particular experiment,mathematically its sigma (O-E)^2/E

where O: is the observed allele frequency,E: Expected frequency
    For example:
    say we made a punnet square cross linkage:btw. tomato plants and get phenotypic ratio of:
    9 :3:3:1 <---- this result of ours is expected.
    So in total of 144 offspring's we get:

9/16 x 144 = 81
    3/16 x 144 = 27
    3/16 x 144 = 27
    1/16 x 144 = 9
    These are our expected values from the experiment but say what we observe are different values:
    So we would like to know whether this experiment of ours is valid or not for which we use CHI squared value.
    so using the formula we get x^2 = 0.79
    We compare this value to the probability table provided : Usually in biology a table of 0.05 is used in which a difference of 5 in every 100 experiments occur. 5/100= 0.05 or 1/20 = 0.05.
    So for 0.05 value given in the table is : 7.82 again we need to sort out the degree of freedom first. This basically is the No. of choices (phenotype given) - 1 : in this case 4-1 : 3.
    So on a 0.05 column 3rd row we get: 7.82.
    So our values of O<E.This proves our hypothesis of 9:3:3:1 .
    I revised this today too :five:
    one of the only parts of module 1 I fully grasp lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    Finished module 1 today. There is a lot that I don't 'fully grasp' and so I probably should spend time going over those areas again before I move on to module 2 but I just can't bring myself to do it :p:
    So tomorrow I'm doing maths, Wednesday english & chem, am away Wednesday till Saturday and will start module 2 on saturday. Yay a nice break from biology
    Thats good! that way if we all post around topics which we dont seem to grasp will make our life so much easier while i still got 6 days to college opening up why dont use it efficiently.Post questions around i have almost finished mod. 1 ,2 done ... 3 nothing yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    I revised this today too :five:
    one of the only parts of module 1 I fully grasp lol!
    The bits of module which produce confusion are: Co-dominance-epistasis relation
    Autosomal/sex linkage diseases + writing down gametes + CFTR hell i even remembered CFTR'S full form again both the gene and protein itself is named CFTR: Cystic Fibrosis Conductance trans membrane regulator(pointless) also one another thing which might confuse one in this module could be the gazillion number of proteins made by various genes: like one mentioned earlier + Antigens in blood group + oh this reminds me mod. two again has stuff to remember such as plasmids name/restriction enzymes + the antibiotic name+ truckload of dull stuff.

ReputationRep:
    The bits of module which produce confusion are: Co-dominance-epistasis relation
    Autosomal/sex linkage diseases + writing down gametes + CFTR hell i even remembered CFTR'S full form again both the gene and protein itself is named CFTR: Cystic Fibrosis Conductance trans membrane regulator(pointless) also one another thing which might confuse one in this module could be the gazillion number of proteins made by various genes: like one mentioned earlier + Antigens in blood group + oh this reminds me mod. two again has stuff to remember such as plasmids name/restriction enzymes + the antibiotic name+ truckload of dull stuff.
    I'm pretty sure you don't have to remember the specifics of any diseases like cystic fibrosis or antigens in blood groups. In all the past papers the details on the disease have been provided for you and it says nothing about them in the syllabus.. I wouldn't kill yourself over them personally!!

I found the classification stuff hard to get my head round, like the linnean/clad.. something, couldn't understand why it was there or how it linked in and the way it was written in the book made no sense at all..

also other random stuff :p:

ReputationRep:
    just covered FP1, M2 and partly D1 in 7 days...ganna try do entire bio and physics by end of this week...then its just revision...hopefully, thats the plan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadMaths)
    just covered FP1, M2 and partly D1 in 7 days...ganna try do entire bio and physics by end of this week...then its just revision...hopefully, thats the plan
    Great ! i am having hard time with fp2 ;p oh which board is it?

ReputationRep:
    hi guys finished module 3:lol: it wasn't as hard as i expected but that is because our class went over it in june last year
    i still can't get my head round module 1 anyways i will be starting module 4 tomorrow on my own i find it so interesting not so boring as in module 1.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 29, 2014

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.