Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remarqable M)
    is the environment a factor to changes in allele?
    According to variation by natural selection( selection pressure), yes or it could on the contrary cause diminish of variety of allele.

ReputationRep:
    Spending my time doing physics...

Need to get serious on Bioogy soon. It means more to me. haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolinGirl)
    Spending my time doing physics...

Need to get serious on Bioogy soon. It means more to me. haha
    Hah! lol and truly opposite to me! Physics

ReputationRep:
    Starting my Biology revision today, seems like there's an awful lot more to learn than OCR Chemistry!
    What sort of techniques do you guys use to revise, and how did you do in the January infamous Seal Exam!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nofishing)
    Starting my Biology revision today, seems like there's an awful lot more to learn than OCR Chemistry!
    What sort of techniques do you guys use to revise, and how did you do in the January infamous Seal Exam!?
    a big fat C:lol: but i'm hoping to get an A on my second round:p: because questions on homeostasis, photosysnthesis(calvin cycle) and respiration are bound to come up and shouldn't be a problem for me

ReputationRep:
    right now, i'm doing module 3 already learned some fascinating stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    yep same for me, i quite enjoy physics though

ReputationRep:
    Hardy–Weinberg principle

Used to calculate allele frequencies of a population with traits for dominant and recessive alleles.

- Equation 1 - alleles

p + q = 1

p - frequency of dominant alleles (A)
    q - frequency of recessive allele (a)

- Equation 2 - genotype

p^2 + 2pq + q^2 = 1

p^2 - frequency of genotype AA
    2pq - frequency of genotype Aa
    q^2 - frequency of genotype aa

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadMaths)
    yep same for me, i quite enjoy physics though
    lol hell i love physics too what i meant was that i need to work on it .I cant go on to do Astrophysics without.
    Only subject which i hate big time is chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student92)
    Hardy–Weinberg principle

Used to calculate allele frequencies of a population with traits for dominant and recessive alleles.

- Equation 1 - alleles

p + q = 1

p - frequency of dominant alleles (A)
    q - frequency of recessive allele (a)

- Equation 2 - genotype

p^2 + 2pq + q^2 = 1

p^2 - frequency of genotype AA
    2pq - frequency of genotype Aa
    q^2 - frequency of genotype aa
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remarqable M)
    a big fat C:lol: but i'm hoping to get an A on my second round:p: because questions on homeostasis, photosysnthesis(calvin cycle) and respiration are bound to come up and shouldn't be a problem for me
    Same here remarq but thats it ! I have made a pact with the devil screw OCR i will ace it.

ReputationRep:
    My todays plan is to go over bio-tech stuff: such as batch culture/quorn synthesis/penicillin.. (boring i know) + a re-read of genome sequencing + err if i am able to squeeze in population stuff.
    Btw feel free to question me on: Variation/meiosis/genome sequencing/evolution and on.Least this way we could clear each others doubts out.

ReputationRep:
    On the book by Mary jones there isnt much given about reproductive cloning hardly a para. on its disadvantage
    All i could gather from it is: Reproductive cloning is the formation of a whole organism by the fusion of a cell with eunucleated egg = zygote.
    Hey Dude , i also did cloning in plants and animals today. The plant bit was so boring but non reproductive cloning and stem cells etc was so interesting.
    I agree ive got the mary jones green book and it hardly mentions cloning in animals the proccess and pro's and con's

ReputationRep:
    omg :O starting revision now,
    wow going out drinking with friends on friday completely screwed me
    havent revised at all since then

ReputationRep:
    ermm does anyone the mark scheme definition of:

Abiotic and biotic factors

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TX22)
    ermm does anyone the mark scheme definition of:

Abiotic and biotic factors
    Abiotic and biotic are factors of environmental resistance.

Environmental resistance is when facors limit the growth of a population.

Biotic factors are those cause by living components , so these are such as: Predators, disease, food availability and mate availability

Abiotic factors are those caused by non living components, so these are such as : temperature, water availibility, soil type, habitat availibility and shelter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MG.GULED)
    Hey Dude , i also did cloning in plants and animals today. The plant bit was so boring but non reproductive cloning and stem cells etc was so interesting.
    I agree ive got the mary jones green book and it hardly mentions cloning in animals the proccess and pro's and con's
    Hey
    Yep plant cloning which is essentially based on tissue culture+ few UBER DULL points on pros/cons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 i SWEAR it made my eyes bleed... it talks trash about potato tubers and that chances are it might carry virus/pathogen and since these reproduce asexually (identical genome) cause a problem.Also how seed sowing is better at times compared to tissue culture. Then it talks of grafting of apple perennial plants..*yawns* From plants bit only thing to remember is! Tissue Culture!!! make sure you know what callus is: mersitematic cells,whats injected and all.. I would've made a long note over it but had a session at the gym ;/ pretty worn out.
    Animal cloning: Consists of reproductive + Non- reproductive cloning.
    Where reproductive cloning is the creation of a whole new organism.

ReputationRep:
    haha. I always deny that I like physics, but somehow deep down inside I think I do like it :P

But I admit, it takes a lot of my time to go through it all

And Bio is more important to me seeing as I want to be a vet XD

ReputationRep:
    I felt like talking about discontinous/continuous variation...

Discontinuous variation describes the qualitative differences between phenotypes. These are in clear distinguishable catergories, with no intermidate sub categories. Examples include:
    -->Height in pea plants (either tall or dwarf)
    -->Sex
    -->Blood group

These tend to be controlled by one gene (monogenic), but if they are controlled by 2 or more genes then they interact in an epistatic way, so one gene will mask or influence the expression of another gene. This limit phenotypic variation.
    Different gene loci have differenct effects on the phenotype
    Different alleles at a single gene locus have large effects on the phenotype.

Continous variation describes the qualitative differences between phenotypes, the phenotypic differences have a large variety of variation. There are no distinct catergories.
    -->height in humans
    --->Mass in humans
    ----> Milk yeild in cattle.

These traits are controlled by more than one gene (polygenic)
    Different alleles contribute additive amounts to phenotype.
    Different alleles at each gene locus have small effects on the phenotype.

These characteristics are more affeted by the environment that discontinous ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolinGirl)
    haha. I always deny that I like physics, but somehow deep down inside I think I do like it :P

But I admit, it takes a lot of my time to go through it all

And Bio is more important to me seeing as I want to be a vet XD
    LOL as i type i am doing work on faradays law + induction *yawns*.... which board you with? is it the OCR? unfortunately i am with WJEC :.( booo.Yep we have this stats table at our bio lab. where it says the most difficult of all A-levels is physics next to it comes bio.I find neither hard but chemistry :/.This is why i love physics:

=) meh anyway how is your revision going? i err don't feel in the mood to do bio. today i might spent rest of the night doing physics.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 29, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.