Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    On P141 in the OCR text book, under 'How does genetic drift lead to large changes in small populations?', shouldn't the (F2) in brackets at the end of the first paragraph be (F1) ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by v1oXx-)
    A clade is a very similar group of organism based on morphology, embryology, physiology and ecological niche. Normally used to classify bacteria which reproduce asexually.

Monophyletic is like a evolutionary tree descending from one ancestor.

That's off the top of my head though...
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student92)
    Does anyone know what 'Clade' and 'Monophyletic' mean?
    err i am guessing monophyletic means control of a phenotype by one gene?
    just googled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by v1oXx-)
    Now that it is nearing the end of the school year for most of us, I'm guessing everyone has done their coursework. What did you all get /40?
    Don't know it yet. -.-

ReputationRep:
    Gosh, I am such a fail at Biology, I haven't even started revision yet :nothing: too busy with this chemistry coursework. Definately failing my mocks :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I Have No Imagination)
    Gosh, I am such a fail at Biology, I haven't even started revision yet :nothing: too busy with this chemistry coursework. definitely failing my mocks :yy:
    Not unless you stick around this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    Don't know it yet. -.-
    I had the same as last year 33 out of 40 but i got marked down to a C last year :mad: which is why im not to confident with 33.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    Not unless you stick around this thread.
    Spot on ibysaiyan this thread played a bigger role in getting me an A than my teachers have. All the past paper quesionts provided its great.

But ive lost my motivation to revise lately

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MG.GULED)
    Spot on ibysaiyan this thread played a bigger role in getting me an A than my teachers have. All the past paper quesionts provided its great.

But ive lost my motivation to revise lately
    You got the Power! such post around questions/topics you got nadda clue of.
    I wish i could say the same for physics: seeing nobody does WJEC!
    And congrats on A lol unfortunately i got C ......but thats all in the past, i will make sure OCR gets in the 'A'-hole this time.

ReputationRep:
    My revision has been slow. Just finished module 1 And am half way through module 2...

So much to do..including self study of entire module 3.

I think I understand module 1 pretty well now though. Any hard questions for me ?

ReputationRep:
    I hope I have got this right now...

Genetic drift is a change in the allele frequency within a population. It can cause large changes in allele frequency within small populations, even elliminating certain alleles, and therfore reducing the genetic variation within that population. In a larger population, genetic drift is less likely to have a great effect as they are unlikely to be selected for.

It occurs by a randomly-a mutation occurs to give a new allele. Genetic drift can also arise due to natural disasters that can affect populations. These may only leave certain individual members of that population, will set alleles, that will be able to breed together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolinGirl)
    I hope I have got this right now...

Genetic drift is a change in the allele frequency within a population. It can cause large changes in allele frequency within small populations, even elliminating certain alleles, and therfore reducing the genetic variation within that population. In a larger population, genetic drift is less likely to have a great effect as they are unlikely to be selected for.

It occurs by a randomly-a mutation occurs to give a new allele. Genetic drift can also arise due to natural disasters that can affect populations. These may only leave certain individual members of that population, will set alleles, that will be able to breed together.
    Exactly also a point worth noting is that no selection pressure is involved. :thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolinGirl)
    My revision has been slow. Just finished module 1 And am half way through module 2...

So much to do..including self study of entire module 3.

I think I understand module 1 pretty well now though. Any hard questions for me ?
    finally finished module 3 i'm about to start module 2 now
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    You guys are making me feel so bad about the lack of revision on my part......Not bad enough to make me actually START doing it, but bad all the same :P

I'll get round to it at some point I'm sure.............

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    You guys are making me feel so bad about the lack of revision on my part......Not bad enough to make me actually START doing it, but bad all the same :P

I'll get round to it at some point I'm sure.............
    hey don't feel bad, i'm sure you wil get through biology with flying colours:p:

ReputationRep:
    Ok, its time for me to start doing some Bio work :p: - I basically havent done anything outside of lessons for bio yet... Will hopefully have the whole syllabus covered and made notes on the whole syllabus by next week sunday... Haha yes I know its nearly impossible but I can dream right?

All I care about at the moment is getting my A in bio otherwise I wont be studying medicine in september... The other subjects are fine - Just need to get 74% in Bio O_o

Will be here if I need any help

ReputationRep:
    I'm hating module 1! 2 is okay and 3 and 4 are good.
    I do geography, so 3 is a breeze, as there is a whole ecosystem module in my Geography paper!
    I have to retake the homeostatis etc unit though! So much to do..
    Oh, I'm also retaking an AS, which is helpful due the synopticity of this next unit.
    STRESSSS.

ReputationRep:
    Is this correct?

Biotic factors describe the effects on living organisms on the ecosystem.

Just started module 3...urrgh...its..its... :sleep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nbailey8)
    I'm hating module 1! 2 is okay and 3 and 4 are good.
    I do geography, so 3 is a breeze, as there is a whole ecosystem module in my Geography paper!
    I have to retake the homeostatis etc unit though! So much to do..
    Oh, I'm also retaking an AS, which is helpful due the synopticity of this next unit.
    STRESSSS.
    I am in the same situation,three papers. 14 total in june. woot!

ReputationRep:
    Just gotta learn about the wheat plant, then finished Mod 1, half way through Mod. 2 and still got 3 and 4 to go... niccce

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 29, 2014

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.