Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CertifiedAngel)
    ive been self teaching module 2 and im really confused about the sequencing the genome of an organism bit...argh . Help?
    The automated sequencing of genome by use of interupted PCR? Or BAC use?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolinGirl)
    The automated sequencing of genome by use of interupted PCR? Or BAC use?
    BAC use. The ocr text book is confusing me and my other revisioon text books barely mention it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remarqable M)
    who else needs the QP and ms for F214 pm
    meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Just finished revising for module 1. All sort of ok But if you have the heinemann textbook does anyone know what sort of bits we should learn for page 143 - on What is a Species? Its all about the biological species concept and the phylogenetic species concept. But then it goes into depth about classifying animals by phylogeny? And it's quite difficult to understand. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student92)
    meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    pm me your email and i will send it to your email

ReputationRep:
    Taaa x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by colourwhite)
    Hey,

Just finished revising for module 1. All sort of ok But if you have the heinemann textbook does anyone know what sort of bits we should learn for page 143 - on What is a Species? Its all about the biological species concept and the phylogenetic species concept. But then it goes into depth about classifying animals by phylogeny? And it's quite difficult to understand. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks
    Ditto what was asked

ReputationRep:
    Me please!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any notes on these topics? i remember for the previous modules someone uploaded some really useful notes. Wish they were about for this module because I cannot understand it to save my life, I really do find this stuff really hard.

Do we also need to know the Hardy-Weinberg principle to calculate allele frequencies in populations?

Its on the specification however next to it it says HSW1( How science works?) and is it essential for the exam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snake91)
    Does anyone have any notes on these topics? i remember for the previous modules someone uploaded some really useful notes. Wish they were about for this module because I cannot understand it to save my life, I really do find this stuff really hard.

Do we also need to know the Hardy-Weinberg principle to calculate allele frequencies in populations?

Its on the specification however next to it it says HSW1( How science works?) and is it essential for the exam?
    I'm pretty sure we have to know it...

ReputationRep:
    are secondary metabolites also produced in the death phase of the growth curve as well as the stationary phase?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TX22)
    are secondary metabolites also produced in the death phase of the growth curve as well as the stationary phase?
    Well, there definately produced in the death phase, not sure about stationary.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks alot for the paper Remarqable M

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by colourwhite)
    Hey,

Thanks
    Hi Yes you need to learn it, even though it is the most dull thing in the book. The basics you need to know are:

1) the 2 concepts for a species
    2) How each concept differs
    3) Use of cladistics
    4) How comparison of DNA etc, can be used to derive evolutionary relationships
    5) How this relates to classification of organisms

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TX22)
    Hmm..secondary metabolites are those that are not produced as part of the organisms normal growth/activites--> so they are produced when the organism is subject to stress. Definately produced during the stationary phase, where there is lack of nutients. But I wouldn't say still in the death phase, as there are no organisms to produce anything!

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting the hang of genetic cross( monohybrid cross and dihybrid cross) at first it looked hard but after breaking it down it all came together and i think this sort of questions will get us tons of marks

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting the hang of genetic cross( monohybrid cross and dihybrid cross) at first it looked hard but after breaking it down it all came together and i think this sort of questions will get us tons of marks
    ooh. Share the knowledge. I don't think I understand recessive/dominant epistatis well, so explain that if you are able

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CertifiedAngel)
    BAC use. The ocr text book is confusing me and my other revisioon text books barely mention it
    I first thought that BAC use is the first process to sequence the genome, and then that after that, the automated process is used, but i'm not sure.

In this method of sequencing only short lengths of the DNA can be sequenced (around 750 base pairs) , so the genome is broken up into fragments and sequenced in sections. First the genome has to be mapped to identify where it is from. It is then cut up into smaller sections. These are places into BACs and then to E.coli. The BACs are then cultured. These form a clonal library. Some BACs are taken out and cut using restriction enzymes. The different fragment lengths are seprated by electrophoresis. And then an automated process sequences the fragments. (see-I thought this might move on to the automated sequencing using PCR and the use of nuclotides that have markers) ??

The computer anaylses the different sections and can compare to resemble whole genome.

ReputationRep:
    Is the BAC process of sequencing genomes different to the automated method, or are they the same thing. And the automated process takes place one the BAC's have been cut into fragments using the restriction enzymes. Then these are placed with DNA polymerase and the primers, and the marked nucleotides???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolinGirl)
    Hmm..secondary metabolites are those that are not produced as part of the organisms normal growth/activites--> so they are produced when the organism is subject to stress. Definately produced during the stationary phase, where there is lack of nutients. But I wouldn't say still in the death phase, as there are no organisms to produce anything!
    In my text book it says the death phase

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.