Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aiden1234)
    thats so weird how did you know i was a boy??

and yeah i was talking about enzyme immobilizaton in the two books i use it talks about adsorption and covalent bonding etc in one and somehting completely different in another
    there are four ways in which you can isolate an enzyme:

1) Adsorption (enzyme mixed with immobilising support and binds with it due to ionic and hydrophobic interactions)

2) Covalent Bonding(enzyme covalently linked together with insoluble material)

3) Membrane separation( enzyme physicially separated from the subtrate mixture by partially permeable membrane.)

4) Entrapment( enzyme can be trapped in a gel bead or a network of cellulose fibres.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remarqable M)
    he is talking about enzyme immoblisation:p:
    Enzyme immobalisation. Oooh.

Enzymes are used as biological catalysts, and are a vital component to ensure that metabolism within the body occurs at a rate fast enough to sustain life. But due to properties of enzymes they can also be used in industry. The main properites that make them useful are that they are specific, and that they work well at low temperatures, so make the process much more efficient.
    Immobalisation of enzymes refers to any technique in which the enzyme is held separate from the substrate. The substrate can bind to the enzyme, and the products and released from it afterwards.

There are several methods for immobalisation but the specific method used will depend on what the process is exactly, e.g what product is being made.

How to immobalise enzymes:
    1) Membrane separation
    The enzyme can be held separated from the substrate by use of a partially permeable membrane.

2) Covalent bonding
    The enzymes are covalently bonded onto an immobalising support such as clay.

3) Entrapment of enzymes
    Either within gel beads or by use of cellulose fibres. The disadvantage with this method is that the active site will be less readily available.

4) Adsorption
    The enzymes can be adsorbed onto a support, by use of hydrophobic/hydrophillic interactions or ionic interactions. The bonds are weak, and it can result in some leakage.

Oh...you got there before me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    Ah could you explain a bit on duchene muscular dystrophy ( God! took ages to type that) please =}? As this is the first time I heard it.
    Actually I checked in the book, and I don't think we need to know about that one. It is only used as an example. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    thankyou to all of you i hope your hard work pays off in june!!! =)

ReputationRep:
    LOL watching the human centipede right now ;O....

ReputationRep:
    LOL watching the human centipede right now ;O....
    Whats that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolinGirl)
    Whats that?
    Eewww :O http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hum...First_Sequence)

worth watching for those who would like to know in-depth in human anatomy.I have just watched about first 20 minutes of the movie :/ don't think gonna last any longer.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, what sort of Past papers are you using for this module?
    Ive looked on past paper bank.. but wasnt sure which ones fit in :|
    Any help would be appreciated
    x

ReputationRep:
    Eewww :O http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hum...First_Sequence)

worth watching for those who would like to know in-depth in human anatomy.I have just watched about first 20 minutes of the movie :/ don't think gonna last any longer.
    ugh! disgusting horror movie(haven't actually watched it) i don't think i'll have the guts to watch it. I don't want to mess up my mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remarqable M)
    ugh! disgusting horror movie(haven't actually watched it) i don't think i'll have the guts to watch it. I don't want to mess up my mind.
    Oh I managed to corrupt my mind .

ReputationRep:
    I now wish everyone believed in God, biology would be so much easier......arghhhhhh......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DR_X)
    I now wish everyone believed in God, biology would be so much easier......arghhhhhh......
    What God has to do with OCR: Biology ?

ReputationRep:
    Can somebody think of a clear cut way of distinguishing between 'operant conditioning' and 'classical conditioning'? As they are relatively similar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DR_X)
    WUT DER PHUCK ?:zomg:

ReputationRep:
    Help me guys,

I just have no idea where to start with biology!!??

How the hell do I revise for it? :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    people, i read the unit 4 biology examiner report and they said that these A2 units will have more applied unfamiliar situations and how science works, it makes sense ie the seal question.

therefore, this unit 5 exam will be applied, i think it will be hard.

does anyone have a feeling that genetic engineering of golden rice will come up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I Have No Imagination)
    Help me guys,

I just have no idea where to start with biology!!??

How the hell do I revise for it? :bawling:
    Post a question or a topic. After all this is the time which counts once summer is gone! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TX22)
    people, i read the unit 4 biology examiner report and they said that these A2 units will have more applied unfamiliar situations and how science works, it makes sense ie the seal question.

therefore, this unit 5 exam will be applied, i think it will be hard.

does anyone have a feeling that genetic engineering of golden rice will come up?
    Its on the mary jones book and from what I can recall out tutor guaranteed 99.9% that It has a chance of coming up because during the last 4-5 years it didn't exist on the ocr past papers until now.
    =}

ReputationRep:
    Meh, am nearly finished with my notes on biotechnology... then moving on to Genomes and Gene technologies... pffft >_< - I am so tired... but I WILL finish biotechnology before I go to bed!!! :p: - Gotta be awake 2moro at 7am.... bloody school :sleep:

ReputationRep:
    Also these nucleotide are doubly De-oxidized.Such that no further base pair rule applies after these "tagged bases" have formed.
    What do you mean by this?

[/QUOTE]
    As we all know dna is acidic such that it carries Negative charge due its Phosphate back bone.So all fragments head towards positive side.[/QUOTE]

Aren't acidic substances positive due to the high concentration of H+ ions? I'm probs wrong but don't quite get why it can be acidic & negative and therefore attracted towards the positive side.

Btw this is a really good explanation, thank you!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 29, 2014
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.