Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    Yep.The stuff worth knowing is the CSF- Cerebro spinal fluid,Thalamus (the primitive or the reptilian brain),hypothalamus,cerebrum and cerebellum,medulla oblongata.The linkages of two hemispheres.Meninges being form of protective layer.Oh also you must know that how the development of human brain started and that limbic system deals with memory and emotions.The part is called hippo campus which has an important role in memory,autonomic co-ordination .It is just underneath your eye socket.
    Difference btw. hemispheres: Left hemisphere is known to deal with verbal actions.The brocas area is involved in the production of speaking an writing languages. Wernickes area helps in Understanding a language.
    Right hemisphere deals with stuff visually thats why scientist are said to be left users while artists right.

P.S: Just wanted to mention that about 5 years ago i had a terrible car accident in which i was literally juiced over by a car xD as a result of which my cerebrum shook.Thank god it wasn't too violent but it left some scars such as when I am exhausted I cant co-ordinate balance.My vision circles 360 around me.. jeez Nightmare I say! Its as if you are pushed over the cliff or sucked into a black hole.
    Woah. None of this is mentioned in my book. None at all :mad: Thanks. I shall do some internet research too.
    Are you serious about the accident?!

ReputationRep:
    heey!!
    hows everyones revision getting along?? this unit is SUPER HARD and extremly hard and im not likng it at all

just wonderuing does anyone have any good notes on the last topis - just the bit about the brain, nervous systej. coordinated movement and the muscles because im findin it veeery difficult to understand. thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TX22)
    so is this right about batch and continuous culture:

batch culture- nutrients are added to the culture at the beginning in the fermenter and the microorganisms are allowed to grow for certain time. The products are harvested from the fermenter at the end.

continuous culture - nutrients are added to the culture in the fermenter continuosuly and the products are harvested at regular intervals
    :yep: with just a minor edit in batch culture there is no time interval or limit assigned.When the microbes have all used up the nutrients then the set-up is Again sterilized to restart.
    Also worth adding is that in continuous culture waste products are removed i.e co2,ions,water. In batch culture only excretory gases are removed.

ReputationRep:
    Here is my summary for protein synthesis... Have I missed anything out? I'm trying to keep it simple.

1. DNA molecule unwinds
    2. mRNA synthesis occurs; nucleotides are added to the growing strand of mRNA
    3. DNA rewinds into double helix structure
    4. mRNA moves through nuclear pore in nuclear membrane into the cytoplasm
    5. A tRNA molecule brings in correct amino acid to ribosome
    6. Anti-codon on tRNA matches with the correct codon on the mRNA and drops off the amino acid
    7. tRNA molecule leaves the ribosome
    8. tRNA molecule is recharged with another amino acid of the same type, ready to take part in protein synthesis.

1-4 = Transcription
    5-8 = Translation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I Have No Imagination)
    Here is my summary for protein synthesis... Have I missed anything out? I'm trying to keep it simple.

1. DNA molecule unwinds
    2. mRNA synthesis occurs; nucleotides are added to the growing strand of mRNA
    3. DNA rewinds into double helix structure
    4. mRNA moves through nuclear pore in nuclear membrane into the cytoplasm
    5. A tRNA molecule brings in correct amino acid to ribosome
    6. Anti-codon on tRNA matches with the correct codon on the mRNA and drops off the amino acid
    7. tRNA molecule leaves the ribosome
    8. tRNA molecule is recharged with another amino acid of the same type, ready to take part in protein synthesis.

1-4 = Transcription
    5-8 = Translation
    All looks fine but you missed to write down the enzyme speeding up the process: RNA-polymerase.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolinGirl)
    Woah. None of this is mentioned in my book. None at all :mad: Thanks. I shall do some internet research too.
    Are you serious about the accident?!
    Yep was bad..... I was bed-ridden for 3 whole months and was knocked out unconscious for a day
    Well its not like I suffer anything severe now say if I don't sleep for over 13 hours thats when things turn ugly lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinksham)
    heey!!
    hows everyones revision getting along?? this unit is SUPER HARD and extremly hard and im not likng it at all

just wonderuing does anyone have any good notes on the last topis - just the bit about the brain, nervous systej. coordinated movement and the muscles because im findin it veeery difficult to understand. thanks!!
    Hi
    yes there are loads of stuff on animal/plant movement.If you reverse a page or two. If not post your question around here expect answers soon :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yep was bad..... I was bed-ridden for 3 whole months and was knocked out unconscious for a day
    Well its not like I suffer anything severe now say if I don't sleep for over 13 hours thats when things turn ugly lol.
    Glad its not anything serious Sounds awful though.

ReputationRep:
    Glad its not anything serious Sounds awful though.
    yep when everything goes like this: :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Yep most my and other folks posts on it I will collect them later or you could scavenge around or if i got time I will make them up again.
    would appreciate if you could gather the posts thanks.

ReputationRep:
    we STILL havent finished this unit! things about auxins, primary succession and ecosystems/sustainability we haven't learned yet and we were told we have to learn ourselves!! so much to revise! i've booked a revision course otherwise i won't do well come summer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snake91)
    we STILL havent finished this unit! things about auxins, primary succession and ecosystems/sustainability we haven't learned yet and we were told we have to learn ourselves!! so much to revise! i've booked a revision course otherwise i won't do well come summer!
    hey where did you find out about the revision course?

ReputationRep:
    revision course? Where, this unit is annoying me maybe revision course will help

ReputationRep:
    No need of any revision course tbh if you got a forum to post around your doubts but again each their own.
    Diff. being you get it for free here...

ReputationRep:
    No need of any revision course tbh if you got a forum to post around your doubts but again each their own.
    Diff. being you get it for free here...
    Yep yep I am so happy with the work i've done yesterday and today. Pretty much covered module 4! Thats the brain, nervous system, muscle stuff btw, I think it was you using the other book...mary jones or something on the lines...

Hows it going?

ReputationRep:
    can someone name examples of primary and secondary metabolites.

ReputationRep:
    Yep yep I am so happy with the work i've done yesterday and today. Pretty much covered module 4! Thats the brain, nervous system, muscle stuff btw, I think it was you using the other book...mary jones or something on the lines...

Hows it going?
    Hello there oh its going Greatttttttt.... arghh doing some maths work :/ i haven't even touched physics yet!
    Ah great to know you are doing fine. Yep out fo all the modules I found module 4 to be interesting esp. muscles.

ReputationRep:
    Hello there oh its going Greatttttttt.... arghh doing some maths work :/ i haven't even touched physics yet!
    Ah great to know you are doing fine. Yep out fo all the modules I found module 4 to be interesting esp. muscles.
    XD I haven't done much physics either, its the only subject I really need to start doing some serious work on. Are you doing OCR A? With Biology I was really worried a couple of weeks ago, but I seem to be making good progress, so hopefully it continues that way.

Yay ^_^ Took me 2 hrs to go over muscle stuff, but am SO happy I understand sliding filament model. Oh the lovely myosin heads :p: Slide slide slide away actin and myosin filaments...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TX22)
    Only one I can remember is penicillin which is a secondary metabolite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TX22)
    One example of a secondary metabolite is Pencillin.

On another note, ive covered module all the modules, although the CGP guide is a bit vague in some areas, except the last which contains muscles brain and responses and some of the genetic(s) and engineering topics.

Should really revise some more chem and bio, instead im watching the footie

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 29, 2014

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.