Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Covered muscles and plant hormones, last to do now is some genetic engineering and behaviour. Otherwise im done with this unit

Onto the synoptic stuff after today! -.-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Falcon91)
    Covered muscles and plant hormones, last to do now is some genetic engineering and behaviour. Otherwise im done with this unit

Onto the synoptic stuff after today! -.-
    Good luck do post stuff around here we might find it useful.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    What do we need to know with regard to homeobox sequences?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tgr141291)
    What do we need to know with regard to homeobox sequences?

Thanks
    Hello there
    Not much tbh
    All I can think of is that : How similar they are in all organisms. They code for the basic physiological structure of an organism and that they are similar i.e Homologous in all organism.
    They code for a zygotes body plan.
    p.s: I got confused with the term homologous and phylogenic <--- totally irrelevant. :mad:
    Which imo highlights that humans including the rest of the organisms share common ancestry.
    I am not sure of the whole Bee topic which is related to homeobox genes.I hope not. Because I cba with all the study of its anatomy from T1 to t3 <_< come on are we talking of terminator here! I dont know what the spec says on it. I will check and let yall know.

ReputationRep:
    I think we also need to know that the sequences aren't similar between kingdoms so each one is likely to have evolved its own
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Finished the course today

Got a module 3 mock tomorrow
    And a chemistry mock too

ReputationRep:
    Could somebody please summarise the stages of meiosis, I am struggling to memorise it all and am sure somebody here will have a much better cut down step by step summary

ReputationRep:
    Why have you all finished the book, I'm only on mutations..omg.. :bawling: FML.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    Finished the course today

Got a module 3 mock tomorrow
    And a chemistry mock too
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I Have No Imagination)
    Why have you all finished the book, I'm only on mutations..omg.. :bawling: FML.
    Are you serious ? :eek: There's no way you can finish it in time for exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uer23)
    Are you serious ? :eek: There's no way you can finish it in time for exam.
    OMG what!!? Oh, thanks for the support! Do you want me to commit suicide? There's still a month until the exam.. :zomg: :nooo: :eek4:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by conorf199)
    Could somebody please summarise the stages of meiosis, I am struggling to memorise it all and am sure somebody here will have a much better cut down step by step summary
    Sure, lets see from what I am able to recall:
    Meiosis: Is the formation of 4 daughter cells(haploids) each having half the no.of chromosomes to that of the initial diploid cell.

Prophase 1: Here chromosomes condense enough to form threa dlike structures BUT not visible. Also crossing over of chiasmata occurs here i.e pairing of homologuos chromosomes which we call bivalent chromosome.

Pro-metaphase: The chromosomes condense just condense enough to be appear visible.

Metaphase 1:
    Nuclear membrane disappears.Spindle formation occurs such that centrioles get connected to their respective chromosomes.

Ana-Phase 1: Bivalent pairs are pulled away from each other to the [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]poles[/COLOR] by the centrioles.Here is where the no. of chromosomes is halved.

Telo-Phase 1:Chromosomes de-condense and two daughter nuclei are made.
    Cytokenesis 1: Plasma membrane folds inwards such that two daughter cells are clearly visible.

Pro-phase 2: Chromosomes condense again also spindle formation occurs.

Meta-Phase 2: Nuclear membrane disappears again and chromosomes are arranged around the [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]equator[/COLOR] .

Ana-phase 2: Centrioles pull away each chromatids (opposite ends) to which they are connected towards the poles.

Telo-phase 2:Nuclear membrane re-appears along with dissappearance of spindle fibre.

Cytokinesis 2:
    4 daughter nuclei (haploid cells) are formed each containing half tge no. of chromosomes compared to a diploid at the beginning.
    )

Took some time typing all that xD

ReputationRep:
    OMG what!!? Oh, thanks for the support! Do you want me to commit suicide? There's still a month until the exam.. :zomg: :nooo: :eek4:
    yES YES!! you can as long as this thread exists!!!!!! you shall be victorious ! xD

ReputationRep:
    oH GOD this fp2(maths)! module is turning me inside out... makes me dizzy : ( IF ONLY i was dave now!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Have you guys covered any other modules ? If you mean according to the Heinemann OCR A2 Biology book endorsed by OCR, then that's going to challenging because that's only like 3 pages into the F215.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liverpool F.C.™)
    Have you guys covered any other modules ? If you mean according to the Heinemann OCR A2 Biology book endorsed by OCR, then that's going to challenging because that's only like 3 pages into the F215.
    No, I'm using a different book, I've only BRIEFLY covered the other modules. We haven't even finished module 3...oh dear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    yES YES!! you can as long as this thread exists!!!!!! you shall be victorious ! xD
    I really do hope so! :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liverpool F.C.™)
    Mary Jones FTW!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    Good luck do post stuff around here we might find it useful.
    Thanks.
    Right ive now done the brain and the structure of the nervous systems, just two pages of responding to the env module left. Then finish gen eng and be done hopefully by tomorrow evening.

The brain:
    4 main parts:

-Cerebrum: largest part of the brain, split into 2 hemispheres, held together by the corpus callosum. Has a thin, layer of nerve cells, this layer is highly folded and forms the cerebral cortex. The cerebrum is associated with the higher level brain functions such as emotion and conscious thought, overriding some reflexes and reasoning and judgement (thus intelligence).

-Cerebellum: found on the bottom right of a brain diagram, my teacher has described it as looking like a cabbage or lettuce, (front of the brain on the left, posterior part of the brain, so bottom right). the definition of this part is that it controls the coordination of movement and posture. It controls the subconscious/involuntary operation during specific activies (e.g. bike riding, driving) such as affecting muscle tension during fine movement and tool use, operation of antaganostic muscles to coordinate contraction and relaxation.
    It receives sensory information in order to do this from:
    >The balance organs in the innear ear
    >The retina
    >The spindle fibres present in muscle fibres to detect tension
    >The Joints

-Hypothalamus- Controls the homeostatic mechanisms of the body and the majority of the endocrine system (because it has control of the pituitary gland). It has thermo and osmo receptors to initiate autonomic responses to regulate the body temp and blood water potential.

-Medulla Oblongata- Controls non-skeletal muscles (cardiac muscle and involuntary/smooth muscle). Contains a few control centres to control vital processes including having effects on the heart and respiration.
    >The Heart - can affect rate
    >Respiration - Can affect breathing, breathing rate and depth

Writing out these notes, are quite helpful for my own revision so i know what i do/dont know

As for I Have No Imagination - Dont worry, as long as you use a revision guide which cuts the rubbish out, its pretty feasible although you may have to skim over some parts which you think you already know. And yeah i havent finished the course either, were doing genetic engineering (also called Recombinant DNA Technology i learned today 0.o) and we arent TOO far into that, 3 weeks to go till study leave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Falcon91)
    Right ive now done the brain and the structure of the nervous systems, just two pages of responding to the env module left. Then finish gen eng and be done hopefully by tomorrow evening.

The brain:
    4 main parts:

-Cerebrum: largest part of the brain, split into 2 hemispheres, held together by the corpus callosum. Has a thin, layer of nerve cells, this layer is highly folded and forms the cerebral cortex. The cerebrum is associated with the higher level brain functions such as emotion and conscious thought, overriding some reflexes and reasoning and judgement (thus intelligence).

-Cerebellum: found on the bottom right of a brain diagram, my teacher has described it as looking like a cabbage or lettuce, (front of the brain on the left, posterior part of the brain, so bottom right). the definition of this part is that it controls the coordination of movement and posture. It controls the subconscious/involuntary operation during specific activies (e.g. bike riding, driving) such as affecting muscle tension during fine movement and tool use, operation of antaganostic muscles to coordinate contraction and relaxation.
    It receives sensory information in order to do this from:
    >The balance organs in the innear ear
    >The retina
    >The spindle fibres present in muscle fibres to detect tension
    >The Joints

-Hypothalamus- Controls the homeostatic mechanisms of the body and the majority of the endocrine system (because it has control of the pituitary gland). It has thermo and osmo receptors to initiate autonomic responses to regulate the body temp and blood water potential.

-Medulla Oblongata- Controls non-skeletal muscles (cardiac muscle and involuntary/smooth muscle). Contains a few control centres to control vital processes including having effects on the heart and respiration.
    >The Heart - can affect rate
    >Respiration - Can affect breathing, breathing rate and depth

Writing out these notes, are quite helpful for my own revision so i know what i do/dont know

As for I Have No Imagination - Dont worry, as long as you use a revision guide which cuts the rubbish out, its pretty feasible although you may have to skim over some parts which you think you already know. And yeah i havent finished the course either, were doing genetic engineering (also called Recombinant DNA Technology i learned today 0.o) and we arent TOO far into that, 3 weeks to go till study leave.
    Awesome. Thanks for that funny enough the cerebrum bit made me lol for a sec... seeing as I myself had a bad ass accident in which my cerebrum was knocked perty hard that I was unconscious for a whole day or more!( yep that cabbage would've been totaled if the pressure was few more pascal ))

Also dont forget about the limbic system which deals with keeping in of memory which is specifically dealt by hippocampus ( yes a hippo lol) and that the function of left hemisphere to that of right varies a lot.
    With left being related more into logical thinking,problem solving(scientists) while right users take approach visually as in the case of artists and all.

The region of the brain where writing and speaking of language is processed is in the Barcos region while understanding one occurs in Wernickes region.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 29, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.