Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinkerbelle ♥)
    I'm going to follow your lead I think. It'll be a late one for me
    Yep although I can barely keep them open as of now! Just went through few maths past papers! Oh god.. almost passed out but hey no worries!! gonna wash my face again might try honey this time :O :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    here are some definitions:

ecosystems - A group of non living and living organisms and the interelationships between them. components include a community, population and habitat

population - all the organisms of one species that live in the same place at the same time and the interactions between them

community - all the populations of different species that live in the same place at the same time.

Habitat - the area where an organism lives.

niche - The role each organism plays in an ecosystem.

two different organism can't occupy the same niche in an ecosystem.

ReputationRep:
    eugh typing these notes up are happening slowly. ViolinGirl youve scared the hell out me, writing out the whole Textbook info and ive used my shortened revision guide version, =[, although it covers the same stuff in the spec.
    The notes on module 4 are like 1/4 done, just going to go to bed late and get them done and find out what i dont know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    Humidity,weather,co2 level ?
    Light, predation and abiotic factors such as temperature, humidity of the air etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Falcon91)
    Light, predation and abiotic factors such as temperature, humidity of the air etc
    c1,c2,c3,c4,fp1,fp2,ph1,ph4,ph5, f212,f215,f214!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 1 SOMEONE CALL MAUREEN I NEED ANTI-SLEEPING PILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    WHAT WAS THE NUMBER AGAIN XD
    RAWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRR

ReputationRep:
    Between who's planning to stay late night? along side me ?

ReputationRep:
    c1,c2,c3,c4,fp1,fp2,ph1,ph4,ph5, f212,f215,f214!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 1 SOMEONE CALL MAUREEN I NEED ANTI-SLEEPING PILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    WHAT WAS THE NUMBER AGAIN XD
    RAWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRR
    I feel sorry for you, im stressing and i only have 6 exams (2 being general studies which i cant be asked with though so 4 REAL exams).
    I have chemistry OCR B - F335 (i think), bio - F214 and F215 (although i did what i needed to at minimum in F214) and Computing - Comp3 which is omfg impossible.

Get a coffeee and ill join you =]

Im staying up, typing up module 4 notes for all you guys, its helping me revise...and listen to music

ReputationRep:
    I feel sorry for you, im stressing and i only have 6 exams (2 being general studies which i cant be asked with though so 4 REAL exams).
    I have chemistry OCR B - F335 (i think), bio - F214 and F215 (although i did what i needed to at minimum in F214) and Computing - Comp3 which is omfg impossible.

Get a coffeee and ill join you =]

Im staying up, typing up module 4 notes for all you guys, its helping me revise...and listen to music
    Same here although got the beats running.... gonna have a banana, snickers maybe? and a cuppa milk. No drink tea :O.....
    Thanks man for the notes

ReputationRep:
    will be posting my notes on genetic engineering in a bit... *yawn*

ReputationRep:
    Same here although got the beats running.... gonna have a banana, snickers maybe? and a cuppa milk. No drink tea :O.....
    Thanks man for the notes
    My pleasure, as much as they help you revise, theyre helping me by writing them too

Haha snickers ftw, i havent got any chocolate D:

ReputationRep:
    My pleasure, as much as they help you revise, theyre helping me by writing them too

Haha snickers ftw, i havent got any chocolate D:
    Here bro. have some:

;0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student92)
    will be posting my notes on genetic engineering in a bit... *yawn*
    cools

ReputationRep:
    On a mission to finish these notes, just got muscles, behaviour and the stress response left. Get in!

ReputationRep:
    On a mission to finish these notes, just got muscles, behaviour and the stress response left. Get in!
    :top: you the man

ReputationRep:
    [youtube]sv9BHaEzP04[youtube]
    :O some biology there .... :drools:

ReputationRep:
    Almost there on behaviour now and then ill send it all out. I tried to shorten it as much as i could without leaving out important details. Its 10 pages :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Almost there on behaviour now and then ill send it all out. I tried to shorten it as much as i could without leaving out important details. Its 10 pages
    Nice Nice :O :top:

ReputationRep:
    Genetic engineering

Vectors
    - Deliver the gene into the cell
    - Carrier in which the required gene is inserted
    e.g. liposomes, DNA ligase, hybrid vectors, bacterial plasmids.

Stage 1 - Required gene is inserted

3 methods:

1) - Restriction enzymes (restriction endonucleases) cut the DNA to give staggered ends (sticky ends)
    - Different restriction enzymes show specificity by cutting at different restriction sites.

2) - RNA is extracted from the DNA
    -Reverse transcriptase make copies of the single stranded DNA by using RNA as the template
    - DNA polymerase converts it into a polypeptide (cDNA - this method is used in the production of human insulin)

3) - If the protein sequence is known then the gene can be manufactured.

Stage 2 - Gene is inserted into the plasmid

4) Multiple genes may be made by PCR
    5) Plasmid is cut by using the same restriction enzyme - allows complementary sticky ends to be formed
    6) Open plasmid and required gene are mixed - the H-bonding between the complementary sticky ends attaches the two
    7) DNA ligase seals the sugar phosphate backbone of the DNA into a plasmid
    8) Forms recombinant DNA - formed by joining sections of DNA from 2 different sources

Stage 3 - Plasmid is taken up by the bacteria

9) - Bacteria is treated with Calcium ions which increases the chance of the plasmid passing through ther cell wall
    - Heat shock - temperature is lowered and then quickly raised to 20° - increases the rate at which the plasmid is taken up by the bacterial cells
    10) Bacterial cells take up the plasmid, becomes transformed - contains foreign DNA
    11) DNA polymerase from the bacteria makes copies of the plasmid, bacteria divides by binary fission, as a result each daughter cell contains several copies of the plasmid
    12) Bacteria transcribe and translate the foreign gene - bacteria now described as transgenic.

ReputationRep:
    Right, everything is in there except for social behaviour of primates and the DRD4 receptor (cos i havent even been told anything/looked at it, but its only one page).

Sending to all those who want it, its in word 97-2003 format so you can access it if you dont have word 2007 too.

Thanks for the post student92, that one is really helpful .

Also, how can i attach files to PM's, if thats possible (copying and pasting 10 pages seems kinda silleh).

Edit - ill do it tomorrow morning for those wanting the notes, too tired to hang on.

ReputationRep:
    Right, everything is in there except for social behaviour of primates and the DRD4 receptor (cos i havent even been told anything/looked at it, but its only one page).

Sending to all those who want it, its in word 97-2003 format so you can access it if you dont have word 2007 too.

Thanks for the post student92, that one is really helpful .

Also, how can i attach files to PM's, if thats possible (copying and pasting 10 pages seems kinda silleh).

Edit - ill do it tomorrow morning for those wanting the notes, too tired to hang on.
    Hey, thanks. Could I get a copy too pleaaaase

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 29, 2014
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.