Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Falcon91)
    eugh typing these notes up are happening slowly. ViolinGirl youve scared the hell out me, writing out the whole Textbook info and ive used my shortened revision guide version, =[, although it covers the same stuff in the spec.
    The notes on module 4 are like 1/4 done, just going to go to bed late and get them done and find out what i dont know.

XD With the plant stuff, it will just be the textbook completely for me, as it is so boring and I cannot be bothered to rephrase it much. But I did do it from memory...

Its not enough to just know stuff on the spec! OCR seem to have a thing for 'suggest' questions, so knowing as much as possible is best!

ReputationRep:
    The brain:

1) Largest part of the brain => Cerebrum. Highly folded outer suface with large surface area and thin layer of nerve cells bodies called the cerebral cortex.
    It is divided into 2 hemispheres which are joined by corpus callosum. Reponsible for 'higher' brain functions.

Is split up into other 3 main areas:
    Motor areas
    Sensory areas
    Association areas

2) Cerebellum- involved in the coordination of movment and posture. Has a large number of nerve cell bodies which receive impulses from many sensory areas including balance organs in the ear, retina, muscle spindle fibres, joints.

3) Medulla Oblongata- effectively in control of the Autonomic nervous system. Has serveral control centres, like cardiac centre and repiratory centre to regulate breathing and heart rate.

4) Hypothalamus- controls homeostatic mechanisms, which are initiated on detection of changes in the internal/external environment. eg. by peripheral temp receptors, osmoreceptors.

ReputationRep:
    what are the commercial uses of giberallin and cytokinins.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TX22)
    what are the commercial uses of giberallin and cytokinins.
    Giberellins:
    1)
    These can firstly be used in fruit production, for example they prevent some types of plants from scenescence (ageing), they can be used with cytokinins to improve the shape of apples, they increase grape size as allow for the stalk to elongate so there is more space for growth, rather than having the grapes compacted.

2)
    Brewing process- this involves use of malt. When barley seeds germinate natural gibberellin levels initiate production of amaylase enzyme that breaks down starch to maltose. By increasing giberrelin levels, then this process can occur faster.

3)
    Sugar production- they can be used at nodes in sugar cane to encourge further elongation so more sugar can be stored => greater yield of sugar

4) They can be used to promote seed production by increasing rate by which plants reach reproductive age so that seeds can be harvested quickly.

Cytokinins- promote bud growth and stem elongation. They are used in mass-culture process, by which a cutting can be encouraged to grow numerous stems which can be cut off and planted to make more copies of the cloned plant.

They can also be used to prevent yellowing in some fruits after picking.

ReputationRep:
    Questions banks....I know someone posted some for F214...thanks to whoever it was (Cant actually remember sorry - Maybe remarqable?)

And I see there's one for module 2 of this paper...anyone have the questions for the other 3 modules?

P.s. anyone this it's possible to get A's by understanding/learning notes now? Like a month from the exam?

ReputationRep:
    Right, now ive sent all the notes to those that requested it via a download link because i couldnt figure out how to attach files so just click the link and download the word file . But tell me if theyre good and ill make more.
    Im going over the other 3 modules again to ensure i know it now.
    Do you mind sharing them with me too please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aimz08)
    Do you mind sharing them with me too please?
    Yup, ive sent them.

Ill be typing up some more, for module 1 next.

ReputationRep:
    ive got this info from wiki and tried to decipher the answer:
    The product of this gene (the CFTR) is a halide anion channel important in creating sweat, digestive juices and mucus.
    What i think: And so where the CFTR doesnt produce properly, the channel itself wouldnt work properly either and thus the anions HCO3- and Cl- wouldnt be transported properly and so no production of alkalis and then the protein possesses two ATP sites which allows the protein to use energy in the form of ATP and so it cant bind to that either so no pumping across if the base structure of the original protein is changed and gives a harmful effect which causes uncontrolled mucus production (e.g. in gene that codes for it cystic fibrosis is caused by a deletion of 3 bases so doesnt fold properly and so fails causing the above i believe).
    Ok Its same as in the release of Insulin in Beta cells :O

ReputationRep:
    Yup, ive sent them.

Thanks a lot Downloading them now....btw what book are you using for the notes?

ReputationRep:
    Yup, ive sent them.

Hi
    sorry yea i have yet to read them man need first some rest

ReputationRep:
    Questions banks....I know someone posted some for F214...thanks to whoever it was (Cant actually remember sorry - Maybe remarqable?)

And I see there's one for module 2 of this paper...anyone have the questions for the other 3 modules?

P.s. anyone this it's possible to get A's by understanding/learning notes now? Like a month from the exam?
    Indeed why not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    Indeed why not
    Forgot to mention + 5 other exams :P All A2's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolinGirl)
    The brain:

1) Largest part of the brain => Cerebrum. Highly folded outer suface with large surface area and thin layer of nerve cells bodies called the cerebral cortex.
    It is divided into 2 hemispheres which are joined by corpus callosum. Reponsible for 'higher' brain functions.

Is split up into other 3 main areas:
    Motor areas
    Sensory areas
    Association areas

2) Cerebellum- involved in the coordination of movment and posture. Has a large number of nerve cell bodies which receive impulses from many sensory areas including balance organs in the ear, retina, muscle spindle fibres, joints.

3) Medulla Oblongata- effectively in control of the Autonomic nervous system. Has serveral control centres, like cardiac centre and repiratory centre to regulate breathing and heart rate.

4) Hypothalamus- controls homeostatic mechanisms, which are initiated on detection of changes in the internal/external environment. eg. by peripheral temp receptors, osmoreceptors.
    Thanks also add to that in cerebral cortex we only have non-myelinated neurons that is grey matter.I did a past paper question on it dealing with a disease called hydrocephalus.
    So function of cerebral cortex => Has a large surface area hence more neurones along with dealing with passing of impulses from one sensory to neuron to other.

ReputationRep:
    Forgot to mention + 5 other exams :P All A2's
    12 here
    Gonne recharge myself now...

ReputationRep:
    XD With the plant stuff, it will just be the textbook completely for me, as it is so boring and I cannot be bothered to rephrase it much. But I did do it from memory...

Its not enough to just know stuff on the spec! OCR seem to have a thing for 'suggest' questions, so knowing as much as possible is best!
    Absolutely... I would also recommend on to read about how "seed growth regulators" perform in zero gravity.I will post about it in a bit.
    So for i haven't even looked at the book yet About time I do.

ReputationRep:
    Wondering if any of you lovely people have the Jan '10 papers for F211 and F212? Need an A, so trying to squeeze every last mark out of those exams so that I can afford to drop a few in F215.
    Would be greatly appreciated :-) x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    Absolutely... I would also recommend on to read about how "seed growth regulators" perform in zero gravity.I will post about it in a bit.
    So for i haven't even looked at the book yet About time I do.
    You don't need to look at a book! You know it all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lexafish)
    Wondering if any of you lovely people have the Jan '10 papers for F211 and F212? Need an A, so trying to squeeze every last mark out of those exams so that I can afford to drop a few in F215.
    Would be greatly appreciated :-) x
    There ya go
    http://www.ibymegaupload.com/showthr...6-Bio-Jan-2010

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to look at a book! You know it all!
    I wish anyhow how much have you revised on this unit and how much to go? I got mock on Tuesday

ReputationRep:
    I have typed up notes for F214 - anyone want them? I would appreciate it if someone could tell me if they are good enough...

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.