Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello people whats up... Good afternoon
    Yeay finally got time to actually READ my book now

ReputationRep:
    I need to go over genetic engineering of vitamin and golden rice. But ive covered 2 modules of reading the textbook, nearly there with bio.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Falcon91)
    I need to go over genetic engineering of vitamin and golden rice. But ive covered 2 modules of reading the textbook, nearly there with bio.
    Which book mary jones =)? yea about the golden rice enzymes to remember are phyotene synthase and carotene desaturase former from the plant daffodil and latter being from a bacteria.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    Which book mary jones =)? yea about the golden rice enzymes to remember are phyotene synthase and carotene desaturase former from the plant daffodil and latter being from a bacteria.
    Reading from the textbook, just to check for important details that arent included in the revision guide.

Hating epistasis, because i understand recessive and dominant just mask the expressions of the other alleles but can someone explain them working in complementary fashion?

ReputationRep:
    Reading from the textbook, just to check for important details that arent included in the revision guide.

Hating epistasis, because i understand recessive and dominant just mask the expressions of the other alleles but can someone explain them working in complementary fashion?
    OK
    First er not to confuse Co-dominance with Epistasis.In Co-dominance both alleles show their phenotype(none masked) (example blood group)while epistasis is the control of one particular phenotype by two or more genes.For example take ratatouille
    Allele BB/Bb = codes for an enzyme to convert tyrosine to melanin and allele b for no enzyme (an albino).
    And Allele A produces enzyme TYRP1(varies quantity of melanin) which depending on allele type produces either agouti or black color coat.
    Allele: aa = black and alleles AA/Aa = agouti.

Epistatic allele: B
    Hypostatic allele:A
    not surw which would be hypo or epo allele, from the sound of it hypo (low) could be B?

Btw. do we need to know fruit flies body plan!? ?

ReputationRep:
    Sexual reproduction: Is the fusing of two gamete nuclei during fertilization leading to the formation of a zygote.
    Meiosis:Is the conversion of a diploid cell into 4 haploid cells.These haploids become gametes and so fusion of two gamete nuclei (usually from two parents) leads to a formation of a zygote!
    Phew now I get it......

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks ibysaiyan, so epistasis which is complementary is actually where the interaction between the allele means that it leads on from the other and they can work together,whereas as long as the epistatic allele (in your example that epi allele is b which prevents pigmentation i think) is present it does not produce the pigment which makes it impossible for colour (so its no technically masking the allele?).

Ive been working hard, been through many points of the specification. The only place where i still havent finished fully....genetic engineering :P

Although some points seem a bit...silly...explain why variation is essential in selection.

In order for selection to take place there must be variation, some of which leads to increased chances of survival (helps avoid selection pressures) and so these organisms are more llikely to survive reproduce and pass on their alleles and thus the advantageous characteristics have been selected for?

Does that answer sound roughly okay for that?

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks ibysaiyan, so epistasis which is complementary is actually where the interaction between the allele means that it leads on from the other and they can work together,whereas as long as the epistatic allele (in your example that epi allele is b which prevents pigmentation i think) is present it does not produce the pigment which makes it impossible for colour (so its no technically masking the allele?).

Ive been working hard, been through many points of the specification. The only place where i still havent finished fully....genetic engineering :P

Although some points seem a bit...silly...explain why variation is essential in selection.

In order for selection to take place there must be variation, some of which leads to increased chances of survival (helps avoid selection pressures) and so these organisms are more llikely to survive reproduce and pass on their alleles and thus the advantageous characteristics have been selected for?

Does that answer sound roughly okay for that?
    No the recessive homozygote bb does not code for an enzyme (cant remember the name) so no melanin as for Allele A that codes for enzyme which varies the distribution of melanin depending on the genotype and for your second part fo the question yes that's what I would've said as well.

ReputationRep:
    no one seems to be answering my chem question of the same board as this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    What was it/post it here? i do chem as well i just dont check that thread.

also i think i got it now ib, in complementary fashion...i hope

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    I dont do chem anymore of the same board.

ReputationRep:
    What was it/post it here? i do chem as well i just dont check that thread.

also i think i got it now ib, in complementary fashion...i hope

ReputationRep:
    i think im going to take a looong break done a lot today...so far

ReputationRep:
    i think im going to take a looong break done a lot today...so far
    good

ReputationRep:
    Types of selection: Directional: Successive appearing of a particular advantageous allele due to stable environment.
    Directional selection: Appearing of a different allele due to selection pressure or mutation.
    How do genes produce continuous variation?
    1) By having a particular characteristic controlled by more than one gene.
    2)Having different forms of each gene (alleles).

ReputationRep:
    I know this is the F215 thread, but does anyone happen to have copy of the F214 paper from January? Rep and eternal love available

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushaboom)
    I know this is the F215 thread, but does anyone happen to have copy of the F214 paper from January? Rep and eternal love available
    Hello:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/38806686...Jan10.pdf.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aimz08)
    I have typed up notes for F214 - anyone want them? I would appreciate it if someone could tell me if they are good enough...
    Yes, could i have them please!! :yep: thank you and will give you feedback on them but I'm sure there good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aimz08)
    I have typed up notes for F214 - anyone want them? I would appreciate it if someone could tell me if they are good enough...
    Can I have them too please, +rep available.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    Hello:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/38806686...Jan10.pdf.html
    Thank you! Don't suppose you have the mark scheme do you?
    Here is some love: :lovehug:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 29, 2014

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.