Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, im back home after playing some footie, gna eat and then crack on till 11.

Hows your revision coming along all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Falcon91)
    Hey guys, im back home after playing some footie, gna eat and then crack on till 11.

Hows your revision coming along all?
    :top: Footy is good for you.

ReputationRep:
    Right, had a read of the genetic engineering part. Its not overly too much learn using the spec but im really tired so i think early night for me and then do some other subjects tomorrow :P give bio a short rest

ReputationRep:
    hey guys! Ihope revision is progressing well for all of you module 4 summed everything for me as i look back on the work i have done for all these weeks module 4 gives me a nice break from module 1 which is dull and lifeless from lac operon onwards lol

ReputationRep:
    So how are you guys going about revising this? 1 Month left!!!

Basically I'm making powerpoints (copying everything from CGP Revision guide) & then learning it all. The CGP revision guides cover every single point in the syllabus so thats good. I maths we just do past papers, but this is a new course so we don't have any for biology.

anyone using other methods?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushaboom)
    Thank you! Don't suppose you have the mark scheme do you?
    Here is some love:
    Sure. Ah just what I wanted xD

http://rapidshare.com/files/38813364...an_10.pdf.html :o:

ReputationRep:
    Oh also I got mock on Tuesday!! woot woot
    ask any questions on the whole module exception behavior chapter <_<

ReputationRep:
    ignore

ReputationRep:
    Ignore?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    Ignore?
    I quoted you with questions from behaviour but then I realized you said "except behaviour", so there was no point in your answering them lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darthdevidem)
    I quoted you with questions from behaviour but then I realized you said "except behaviour", so there was no point in your answering them lol
    Oh I see.... well I could give it a shot but ..... not until I spend some time on it. Which I am doing at the minute lol

ReputationRep:
    Felt like a late night today. Haven't done much today. I'd like some questions...I feel like I don't know anything yet

ReputationRep:
    oooh. Whats the question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    Oh also I got mock on Tuesday!! woot woot
    ask any questions on the whole module exception behavior chapter <_<
    Behaviour is easy!
    Ive got to pretty much your point now, except...where you havent done behaviour, i have not fully done genetic engineering. I just cant seem to finish the damn topic no matter how hard i try.

Anyway, sleep time. Cya

ReputationRep:
    So how are you guys going about revising this? 1 Month left!!!

Basically I'm making powerpoints (copying everything from CGP Revision guide) & then learning it all. The CGP revision guides cover every single point in the syllabus so thats good. I maths we just do past papers, but this is a new course so we don't have any for biology.

anyone using other methods?
    basically get a book and fill it with absolutely everything everywhere in it, since starting A levels I think ive gone through about 20 odd

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Falcon91)
    Behaviour is easy!
    Ive got to pretty much your point now, except...where you havent done behaviour, i have not fully done genetic engineering. I just cant seem to finish the damn topic no matter how hard i try.

Anyway, sleep time. Cya
    Good night! genetic engineering is a breeze :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolinGirl)
    Felt like a late night today. Haven't done much today. I'd like some questions...I feel like I don't know anything yet
    The whole behavior thing :/

ReputationRep:
    these guys always make awesome animations for biology, used them in the last module and I think they really helped with my grade for january
    http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/olc/dl/120078/bio37.swf
    ^just one of them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    these guys always make awesome animations for biology, used them in the last module and I think they really helped with my grade for january
    http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/olc/dl/120078/bio37.swf
    ^just one of them
    Yea :O cool

ReputationRep:
    Behaviour!

There are two types of behaviour: Innate and Learned.

Innate behaviours suit invertebrates well, as they do not look after their young, do not have a long life span, and they live solitary lives.

Innate behaviours are genetically determined. They are rigid and inflexible. All members of the species will show the same type of behaviour and perform it in exactly the same way in reponse to exactly the same stimuli. Innate behaviours are any animal responses that do not have to be learned.

There are 3 types of innate behaviour:

1) Reflexes, in particular escape reflexes.
    2) kineses-orietation behaviour in which the organism increases its rate of movement when in unfavourable conditions, the movement is non-directional.

3) taxis- this is oreintation behaviour, in which the direction is determined by a certain factor, such as light.

Learned behaviour is any animal response which adapts with experience. Again, they are catergorised into several types:

1) Habituation- this is where upon exposure to a repeated stimuli , wherby there is no reward or punishment the animal will no longer respond to it.

2) Imprinting- where a younger animal associates itself with an older animal, usually the parents. It occurs in a sensitive region only and it vital to the animal learning skills such as flight in birds.

3) Classical conditioning- when an animal learns to associate a pair of events and performs an action in relation to one in anticipation to the other.

4) Operant conditioning- when the animal assocates a certain operation with a reward/punishment

5) Insight learning- solving a problem and learning from it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 29, 2014
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.