Turn on thread page Beta

OCR 2010 A2 Biology Unit 2 - Control, Genome and Environment watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushaboom)
    It says "This file is neither allocated to a Premium Account, or a Collector's Account, and can therefore only be downloaded 10 times"
    Could you please please please pm/email it to me or something?
    PM me your email and i'll send it when i get home (around 5ish)
    same applies to anyone else who cant see it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolinGirl)
    Epistatsis is the interaction between different gene loci, whereby one gene locus will mask/suppress the expression at the second gene locus. The first gene is known as being epistatic to the second.

Epistatsis will result in ratios that are not similar to normal monohybrid/dihybrid crosses that use homozygous parents.

There are 2 types of interactions between genes that can occur. The first is antagnositic action, whereby the presence of a gene at the first locus, results in masking of the gene at the second locus. This is further split into 2 types of antagonistic action- Recessive epistasis and dominnant epistasis. Genes can also interact in a complementary way.

1) Recessive epistatis- this is where the homozygous prescene of a recessive allele at one gene locus prevents the expression of genes at a secong locus.

2) Dominant epistasis- this is where the prescence of 1 or 2 dominant alleles on one locus, prevents expression of genes at second locus.

3) Complementary action- where the the homozygous prescence of a recessive allele at either locus, prevents expression of genes on the other locus.
    thanking you muchly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dopeyangel101)
    PM me your email and i'll send it when i get home (around 5ish)
    same applies to anyone else who cant see it
    Thank you so much, I have PMd you

I *think* you are also missing "ecosystems A2 all Qs" as well as mark schemes for "Biotechnology EBA.rtf" and "Genetic crosses 1 EBA.rtf"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushaboom)
    Thank you so much, I have PMd you

I *think* you are also missing "ecosystems A2 all Qs" as well as mark schemes for "Biotechnology EBA.rtf" and "Genetic crosses 1 EBA.rtf"
    i've already mentioned on here that bio tech doesnt work, and there isnt one for GC1. and i'll PM you when I get home

ReputationRep:
    and ecosystems 2 is what i'm sending you later

ReputationRep:
    i've already mentioned on here that bio tech doesnt work, and there isnt one for GC1. and i'll PM you when I get home
    Any success with getting the genetics questions ?

ReputationRep:
    i'm going to ask at lunch because all the teachers were busy, is it on genetic crosses and stuff?

ReputationRep:
    i'm going to ask at lunch because all the teachers were busy, is it on genetic crosses and stuff?
    hmmm.... Basically All the Questions for Module 1, so that includes Genetics/Protein synthesis/Mutations/Chi squared/Variation/Hardy Wienberg/Body Plans etc.

Just say generate them using 'ExamQuest' the program used to make those files. You didn't find any stuff on the VLE for genetics.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Charli, great work!

But I find it hard to believe there are very few questions on those topics, I've seen tonnes more in past papers.

Not, sure. I think some may have been taken out. This one done for the OCR Chemistry A has way more questions for each module.

As you're going to see your teacher for the genetics questions that uer23 asked for, to be on the safe side why don't you ask you're teacher if you can use the program or ask if he/she can do it for you to do get every single question available for F215 on that program. They may not have put all of them on the VLE.

For example certain topics are missing...Populations, genomes, Protein synthesis.

(image for the demo ExamQuest program, that should cover all the topics for F215). If you can get all of them.

It's quite easy to use topic, copy to document and export to word. And get the mark schemes too please. Looking forward thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uer23)
    hmmm.... Basically All the Questions for Module 1, so that includes Genetics/Protein synthesis/Mutations/Chi squared/Variation/Hardy Wienberg/Body Plans etc.

Just say generate them using 'ExamQuest' the program used to make those files. You didn't find any stuff on the VLE for genetics.
    ok i may go check now and see if my bio teacher is in.

ReputationRep:
    good news: i got the questions and mark schemes

not so good news: my teacher isnt great with computers so couldnt give them to me on my USB and has printed them out, and i dont know how to scan...

ReputationRep:
    good news: i got the questions and mark schemes

not so good news: my teacher isnt great with computers so couldnt give them to me on my USB and has printed them out, and i dont know how to scan...
    I can help to get the files if you're willing to ask you're teacher, I have previously used this program for another subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liverpool F.C.™)
    I can help to get the files if you're willing to ask you're teacher, I have previously used this program for another subject.
    theres a scanner in on of the IT rooms, i'll try at lunch and if all else fails i will ask for a hand

ReputationRep:
    theres a scanner in on of the IT rooms, i'll try at lunch and if all else fails i will ask for a hand
    Scanning may take a lot of your time, but as you wish. Do ask if you need the help.

ReputationRep:
    Hey if your teacher is not good with computers, here is a simple tutorial to use the program in getting the documents onto your USB. Basically it will condense all the questions from all the topics you have posted into one file + plus the genetics ones you are about to post.

That's how I got all the specimen questions from the demo program.

1. These are all the topics for F215.

2. Select each topic one by one from the list and click Edit > Copy to document for each of the topics.

3. Once you copied all of them in the list. Click the 'Export to word' button.

4. Save the file..(remember where you save it)

That's the questions done... now for the mark scheme.

It's the same process.

5. Click the topic and then click on the small green tick in the top left hand corner as shown below, this will generate the mark scheme for that particular topic.

6. Click Edit > Copy to document for the MS of that topic. Do the same for all 15 topics in the box.

7. Once you copied all of them in the list. Click the 'Export to word' button.

8. Save the file..(remember where you save it)

Put your USB in, go to your USB drive and go to the place where you saved the Answers + MS, drag and drop/copy paste them onto your USB.

I think this will be much easier for you and everyone else instead of doing the scanning and everything, will just have two files (Answers + MS) don't have to download over 20 files. Printing will be easier too.

Hope this helped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by majid81)
    Hey if your teacher is not good with computers, here is a simple tutorial to use the program in getting the documents onto your USB. Basically it will condense all the questions from all the topics you have posted into one file + plus the genetics ones you are about to post.

That's how I got all the specimen questions from the demo program.

1. These are all the topics for F215.

2. Select each topic one by one from the list and click Edit > Copy to document for each of the topics.

3. Once you copied all of them in the list. Click the 'Export to word' button.

4. Save the file..(remember where you save it)

That's the questions done... now for the mark scheme.

It's the same process.

5. Click the topic and then click on the small green tick in the top left hand corner as shown below, this will generate the mark scheme for that particular topic.

6. Click Edit > Copy to document for the MS of that topic. Do the same for all 15 topics in the box.

7. Once you copied all of them in the list. Click the 'Export to word' button.

8. Save the file..(remember where you save it)

Put your USB in, go to your USB drive and go to the place where you saved the Answers + MS, drag and drop/copy paste them onto your USB.

I think this will be much easier for you and everyone else instead of doing the scanning and everything, will just have two files (Answers + MS) don't have to download over 20 files. Printing will be easier too.

Hope this helped.
    that may be a better plan seeing as i have no idea what i'm doing with the scanner.... will see if i can find my teacher and ask him to do this.

ReputationRep:
    that may be a better plan seeing as i have no idea what i'm doing with the scanner.... will see if i can find my teacher and ask him to do this.
    No problem... if you or your teacher need anymore help just message me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by majid81)
    That would be even better, similar to the OCR chemistry one.

ReputationRep:
    Hey need some help!

Just been going over replica plating.. with human insulin.

It says in the book that bacteria cells placed on ampicillin agar will only grow if they have picked up the plasmid containing insulin.

But.. I was thinking, the insulin gene is placed in the tetracycline resistance site and not the ampicillin one.. then surely bacteria will grow on ampicillin regardless of if it's picked up the insulin-plasmid or not because it's the tetracycline resistance that's affected and been 'broken' - not the ampicillin resistance?

If that makes sense!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinkerbelle ♥)
    Hey need some help!

Just been going over replica plating.. with human insulin.

It says in the book that bacteria cells placed on ampicillin agar will only grow if they have picked up the plasmid containing insulin.

But.. I was thinking, the insulin gene is placed in the tetracycline resistance site and not the ampicillin one.. then surely bacteria will grow on ampicillin regardless of if it's picked up the insulin-plasmid or not because it's the tetracycline resistance that's affected and been 'broken' - not the ampicillin resistance?

If that makes sense!

The purpose of the ampicillin agar is to identify the bacteria that have actually taken up the plasmid - remember that some won't even take it up. Bacteria that didnt take it up will be annhilated by ampicillin agar, lol. Do you get me?

Hope I helped.

Edit: So if they havent picked up the plasmid, they have no resistance to ampicillin so die.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 29, 2014
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.