Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinkerbelle ♥)
    No same, I couldn't even tell you what it's for. All I can tell you is it involves maths. And complicated looking symbols. :sigh:
    Chi square basiaclly is based on Null hypothesis , in which the result you get from chi square (a value) tells if the hypothesis can be true or not for a particular experiment,mathematically its sigma (O-E)^2/E

where O: is the observed allele frequency,E: Expected frequency.
    EDIT: made that in rush, would have posted more info but kinda busy atm.I will do once i get the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    Chi square basiaclly is based on Null hypothesis , in which the result you get from chi square (a value) tells if the hypothesis can be true or not for a particular experiment,mathematically its sigma (O-E)^2/E

where O: is the observed allele frequency,E: Expected frequency.
    EDIT: made that in rush, would have posted more info but kinda busy atm.I will do once i get the time.
    Ahh thank you!! So is it's purpose kind of like Spearmans Rho? I'm going to go over it tomorrow Doesn't sound as scary as I was imagining, though!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Hey, I've got a couple of questions, rep for the best answer

1) Explain how cloning an animal can help save an endangered species of mammal?

2) State three ways of setting up a gene bank for the species being cloned?

Answers ASAP (i.e. tonight) please

ReputationRep:
    hey guys havnt posted in a while but i think i'm in love with lac operon :Love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILikeTheGame)
    hey guys havnt posted in a while but i think i'm in love with lac operon :Love:
    Hey, why whats with it?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, why whats with it?
    Because of switching off the offswitch XD - I assume lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by win2kpro)
    Because of switching off the offswitch XD - I assume lol
    wait what switch lol? promoter xD?

ReputationRep:
    So.. how is it going guys? =}
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    wait what switch lol? promoter xD?
    Don't you mean operator? The promoter is where the RNA polymerase sits, the operator is where the inhibiter sits/binds to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    Don't you mean operator? The promoter is where the RNA polymerase sits, the operator is where the inhibiter sits/binds to.
    yep exactly it was too late when i had made this reply.

ReputationRep:
    what exactly is an operator??:hmmmm2:
    and can someone please tell me what stuff from AS is unit 2 module 1 buildin upon?? im confused here:confused:
    haven't we learned about protein synsthesis last year?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Remarqable M)
    and can someone please tell me what stuff from AS is unit 2 module 1 buildin upon?? im confused here:confused:
    The Operator is just a region/length of DNA where the inhibitor binds to. It's next to the structural genes (Z and Y) that code for lactose permease and beta-galactosidase.

And the protein synthesis we learnt about was mainly protein structure etc.
    It builds upon biological molecules (structure of DNA and proteins) organelles (eg ribosomes) mitosis a small amount, selective breeding, dominant/recessive alleles, variation, kingdoom/domain/species and natural/artificial selection.

So it builds upon a lot. Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Hey! welcome back, for unit 2 module one remember the basics meh whats transcription,translation,sickle cell anemia,apoptosis and operon region.I guess thats about it.Not much there... oh also homologous genes.

ReputationRep:
    The Operator is just a region/length of DNA where the inhibitor binds to. It's next to the structural genes (Z and Y) that code for lactose permease and beta-galactosidase.

And the protein synthesis we learnt about was mainly protein structure etc.
    It builds upon biological molecules (structure of DNA and proteins) organelles (eg ribosomes) mitosis a small amount, selective breeding, dominant/recessive alleles, variation, kingdoom/domain/species and natural/artificial selection.

So it builds upon a lot. Hope that helps
    Thank you. This is very useful and good luck with gettin an A*:p: im glad you're part of this thread
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Thank you. This is very useful and good luck with gettin an A*:p: im glad you're part of this thread
    Oh I'm not getting an A* in...well anything tbh. I'm on a B in biology at the moment, I'd like an A, but even that's fairly unrealistic. Stupid HSW. I wish exams were just factual recall, I'm not too bad at that.

But thanks

ReputationRep:
    Oh I'm not getting an A* in...well anything tbh. I'm on a B in biology at the moment, I'd like an A, but even that's fairly unrealistic. Stupid HSW. I wish exams were just factual recall, I'm not too bad at that.

But thanks
    Nah we will get there xD i dont think i will be getting an A* due to my last years practicals but meh an A would do .btw. remarq how is maths going =)?

Edit: I need some rest had a long session at the gym =/ .See you all later.

ReputationRep:
    Nah we will get there xD i dont think i will be getting an A* due to my last years practicals but meh an A would do .btw. remarq how is maths going =)?

Edit: I need some rest had a long session at the gym =/ .See you all later.
    not too bad:p: i like everything in c4 except vectors.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm we can perhaps make one(thread) based on it :P?i wonder... anyways out for now.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Urrrgh same. I hate vectors

ReputationRep:
    Hey all.. how is it going ?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 29, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.