Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    Yea physics arghh the last module of WJEC is just full of unwanted, repetitive info -.- seriously .... you have 5.5 and 5.6 dedicated to particle accelerators,x-rays,heart pumping, Doppler usage in blood :lolwut: and what not also on top of all that a 20 mark question (yes 20) totally synoptic based ....... on LHC <_<
    Ouch, that's rough.

ReputationRep:
    Just a quickie about apical dominance:

I thought that auxins stimulate growth specifically by cell elongation and not cell division, but I've seen conflicting sources, can anyone confirm?

Also, with apical dominance - how can auxin produced both stimulate the apical bud and inhibit lateral buds? Particularly as the point of auxin is to promote growth, i don't see how it can have two contrasting roles of stimulation and inhibition?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by radical07)
    Also, with apical dominance - how can auxin produced both stimulate the apical bud and inhibit lateral buds? Particularly as the point of auxin is to promote growth, i don't see how it can have two contrasting roles of stimulation and inhibition?
    My book says that auxin in the terminal bud acts as a sink for cytokinins which cause growth by cell devision. As a result less cytokinins reach the terminal buds, preventing growth there. Removal of terminal bud allows more even spread of auxin and cytokinins and therefore more growth in the lateral buds.

ReputationRep:
    Ah yea... :/ well yea me and my profile are best buds 4eva ! lol :/ blame it to 0% experience in social life.
    Aww. You sound interesting 0% social life...lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakujo)
    My book says that auxin in the terminal bud acts as a sink for cytokinins which cause growth by cell devision. As a result less cytokinins reach the terminal buds, preventing growth there. Removal of terminal bud allows more even spread of auxin and cytokinins and therefore more growth in the lateral buds.
    Hm still a bit foggy - do you mean that auxin in the apical bud acts as a sink? Therefore that allows promotion of growth in the apical bud and not the lateral buds, and when the source of auxin is removed, the cytokinin spreads evenly?

ReputationRep:
    So is the founder effect just genetic drift in small populations?

I thought it was more to do with increased likelyhood of isolation/selection pressures of different individuals of population leading to speciation? :erm:
    Yes both founder along with bottle-neck occur within the genetic drift.Here is a thing in bottle-nose effect we have t a reduction of one variation in the population at least due to the reasons I posted earlier hence causing the loss of the population due to their incompetence with the selection pressure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by radical07)
    Hm still a bit foggy - do you mean that auxin in the apical bud acts as a sink? Therefore that allows promotion of growth in the apical bud and not the lateral buds, and when the source of auxin is removed, the cytokinin spreads evenly?
    Yes, you've just described removal of apical dominance. :congrats:

ReputationRep:
    Yes both founder along with bottle-neck occur within the genetic drift.Here is a thing in bottle-nose effect we have t a reduction of one variation in the population at least due to the reasons I posted earlier hence causing the loss of the population due to their incompetence with the selection pressure.
    Thank you. Do you have an answer to this:

I thought that auxins stimulate growth specifically by cell elongation and not cell division, but I've seen conflicting sources, can anyone confirm?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. Do you have an answer to this:

Alright this is how it all mashes-up: We have photo-tropins in the cell surface.These phototropins get phosphorylated when light hits them.These phopholrylated photo-tropins create a pathway for the auxins to flow(sideways). how is this accomplished? we dont know yet but here are TWO possible hypothesis:
    1)The phoporylated photo-tropins cause the transfer proteins to increase their mecanical input i.e transfer more auxins Or
    2)Increase the no. of transfer proteins onto "a" side.

Alright once auxin( IAA receptors bind onto their target cells these cause a chain of event within the cell. The no. of H+ ions increases which causes reduction in Ph-level. This activates enzyme which reaps through plasmodesmata or cellular fibril. aka loosening of the cell.

ReputationRep:
    hey everyone.

in the book it has like one short section on elbow joints and neuromusculuar junctions.

do we just need to know the components ie cartilage, ligaments, synovial fluid.

is this right about the differences between a synapse and neuromuscular junction:

in synapse post synaptic cell is neurone, whereas in neuromuscular junction the post - synaptic cell is sarcolemma

in synapse an action potential is generated in post synaptic cell, whereas in neuromuscular junction deplorisation occurs in post synaptic cell ( sarcolemma)

ReputationRep:
    hey everyone.

in the book it has like one short section on elbow joints and neuromusculuar junctions.

is this right about the differences between a synapse and neuromuscular junction:

in synapse post synaptic cell is neurone, whereas in neuromuscular junction the post - synaptic cell is sarcolemma

in synapse an action potential is generated in post synaptic cell, whereas in neuromuscular junction deplorisation occurs in post synaptic cell ( sarcolemma)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TX22)
    hey everyone.

Hey bud sup
    Yes depolarization in the sarco-plasmic reticulum which causes the myoso-troponin( I always get myso-troponin the ball structure and tropo-myosin the fibre thing wrong) to release CA+ Ions.
    Correct me If I am mistaken.
    All we need to know is the contraction/relaxation of the biceps/triceps. =}

ReputationRep:
    so am i right then

Hey bud sup
    Yes depolarization in the sarco-plasmic reticulum which causes the myoso-troponin( I always get myso-troponin the ball structure and tropo-myosin the fibre thing wrong) to release CA+ Ions.
    Correct me If I am mistaken.
    All we need to know is the contraction/relaxation of the biceps/triceps. =}

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TX22)
    so am i right then
    yep :yep:

ReputationRep:
    basically muscles move antagonistically - muscles work in pairs opposite each other. As one muscles is stimulated to contract, the other muscle in the pair relaxes

ReputationRep:
    everyone be prepare, i think the exam will be very applied and random like the unit 4.

ever since the SEAL exam, for every exam, before, i always think it will be hard. This is so that i am not shocked in the exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TX22)
    everyone be prepare, i think the exam will be very applied and random like the unit 4.

ever since the SEAL exam, for every exam, before, i always think it will be hard. This is so that i am not shocked in the exam
    Oh the horror! dont remind us TX22 My prophexy shall appear soon: Question on how do T-rex Copulate <_< and the function of Homebox genes related to dino-powah.

ReputationRep:
    i really hope loads on genetic engineering and muscles come up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TX22)
    i really hope loads on genetic engineering and muscles come up.
    Me too! Cause I love that stuff!

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please tell me what exactly we need to know for Body plans/Homeobox genes and Apoptosis ?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 29, 2014
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.