Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Any more questions...before I go off to do a maths paper?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else feeling like they've got the whole thing to cover yet? Two days ago I felt I was ready for nearly every exam, now after seeing this thread I realise how much work I have to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolinGirl)
    Any more questions...before I go off to do a maths paper?
    Don't you know that Medicine> Vet Med?:awesome:

EDIT: Oh dear, I got blanked.....:ashamed2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakujo)
    Anyone else feeling like they've got the whole thing to cover yet? Two days ago I felt I was ready for nearly every exam, now after seeing this thread I realise how much work I have to do.
    lol yer, im jsut finishing the biotech and genetic engineering stuff now, for me that was the hardest topic as I had a fail teacher, I dont know why I cant revise earlier than 2 weeks before the exam for biology, I dunno why I feel like ill forget everything if I have a longer time to wait for the exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chuck111)
    lol yer, im jsut finishing the biotech and genetic engineering stuff now, for me that was the hardest topic as I had a fail teacher, I dont know why I cant revise earlier than 2 weeks before the exam for biology, I dunno why I feel like ill forget everything if I have a longer time to wait for the exam
    Lol fail teacher. Yeah I got a retake as well :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    Don't you know that Medicine> Vet Med?:awesome:

EDIT: Oh dear, I got blanked.....:ashamed2:
    :catfight:

...yes, keep telling yourself that to make yourself feel better :console: We all know which one is better... :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah dude. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    On the specification it says "Describe the role of the brain and nervous system in coordinated muscle movement"

I was wondering if anyone could help me sum this point in the spec up as I am pretty confused about wat it is asking

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Najmin_Akhtar)
    On the specification it says "Describe the role of the brain and nervous system in coordinated muscle movement"

I was wondering if anyone could help me sum this point in the spec up as I am pretty confused about wat it is asking

Thank you

The largest part of the brain is the cerebrum, and this is responsible for the 'higher' brain functions, including emotional responses, the abiltity to override some reflexes, and concious thought and memory. So the decision to move a muscle is initiated within the cerebrum, but this on its own is not enough to coordinate fine muscle movement that is required around the body. The cerebellum is another region of the brain that coordinates posture and movement. The cerebellum has a large number of nerves from which is receives sensory information from several regions of the body, including receptors in the retina, balance organs in the ears, and spindle fibres within muscle. It receives the information in the form of impulses. It is then able to send impulses down neurones that connect to motor end plates and to alter the output of the muscles, by varying the intensity of the impulses.
    The nervous system is a communication system of the body, and also works in association with the endocrine system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aimz08)
    Discuss how the links between a range of human behaviours and the dopamine receptor DRD4 may contribute to the understanding of human behaviour....

Help anyone?
    Basically, a range of Dopamine receptors in the brain. The levels can cause certain hbehaviours as shown by studies. The main points are that higher than usual levels of dopamine can contribute to psychosis, schizophrenia and ADHD. The DRD4 receptor is just one of the possible receptors to bind to.

The advantage is by studying the levels of dopamine in the brain and the interaction of the DRD receptor's, you can look at it using genetics and so gene which may influence behaviour, so possible links could be found by studying those with normal/low/high levels of dopamine, seeing what behaviours are shown and studying their genes/alleles.

Something like that i think...

ReputationRep:
    The largest part of the brain is the cerebrum, and this is responsible for the 'higher' brain functions, including emotional responses, the abiltity to override some reflexes, and concious thought and memory. So the decision to move a muscle is initiated within the cerebrum, but this on its own is not enough to coordinate fine muscle movement that is required around the body. The cerebellum is another region of the brain that coordinates posture and movement. The cerebellum has a large number of nerves from which is receives sensory information from several regions of the body, including receptors in the retina, balance organs in the ears, and spindle fibres within muscle. It receives the information in the form of impulses. It is then able to send impulses down neurones that connect to motor end plates and to alter the output of the muscles, by varying the intensity of the impulses.
    The nervous system is a communication system of the body, and also works in association with the endocrine system.

Thank you! that has made it alot clearer as to what i need to know x

ReputationRep:
    I have till the end of today to finish biology text book revision and I've only just started the Biotech section. =/

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any good revision notes or materials for learning all the genetics part? Its all so confusing...

ReputationRep:
    Are the CGP books good for A2 revision for all this or is it better to stick to the OCR textbook?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HELPME-ology)
    Does anyone have any good revision notes or materials for learning all the genetics part? Its all so confusing...
    Nope. But feel free to ask any questions on ANY genetics stuff and I will answer a.s.a.p!

ReputationRep:
    auwghhh sup people =D... how are we doing =?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    Sup mate

Not much, bout to go and revise another hour of biology (F214).
    Kinda finding it hard to do revision at night, once its past 5 i can only do like 2 hours after >.<

You?

@HELPME-ology

I suggest using a mix of the two, i learnt the main parts from the CGP guide however it is sparse im many areas so its best to go over using the OCR textbook to fill in the missing points. An exmaple is it doesnt fully cover all plant hormones commercial uses and it doesnt explain the term genetic code (stated in the syllabus)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    Really need to do stupid environment chapter, but its so dull. I don't care about pyramids of biomass, numbers and energy.

ReputationRep:
    Really need to do stupid environment chapter, but its so dull. I don't care about pyramids of biomass, numbers and energy.
    Yea same here I find it total black-white. ..... doing maths right now

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry is so much better than Biology

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.