Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakujo)
    Chemistry is so much better than Biology
    I sucked at it big time :.(

ReputationRep:
    How much of this papers going to be synoptic by the way? and what areas is everyone else re revising?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    I sucked at it big time :.(
    I don't get it, Chemistry is just an easier version of physics with more skilled based approach like maths, I would've thought you'd been pretty good at it?:confused:

Anyways back to buffer systems:awesome:

Remember them from january....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LastTrainHome)
    How much of this papers going to be synoptic by the way? and what areas is everyone else re revising?
    The majority of the syllabus is surprisingly interlinked, but looking over the books youll find a lot of it comes up in this module and you should know the general jist of it as the knowledge is accumulated.
    Im probably going to revise the major areas such as the contraction of the heart, transpirational water loss and xylem and phloem in plants etc etc.

Also, ive just done endotherms, ectotherms and behaviours (including receptors and that) for F214 resit. So boring and i knew most of it in short form anyway, almost a waste of an hour but oh well. I think ive done enough revision for today. :<

ReputationRep:
    I don't get it, Chemistry is just an easier version of physics with more skilled based approach like maths, I would've thought you'd been pretty good at it?:confused:

Ah yes. I am managing 90% + on papers so far in chem, with 0 revision as I get it all the first time

Buffer systems ---> Yay!

Mix your weak acid, with salt of weak acid, to get large resevoirs of conjugate base and weak acid, and then through use of changes in equillibrum they minimise changes in PH...

Better not go on...this is biology forum.

Is there a chem one btw?

ReputationRep:

i thought u were revising buffer systems for bio and was like...What the heck lol.

@ViolinGirl - Im finding chemistry seeming deceiptively...much nicer than before as well and ive revised the majority of it. There is a chemistry thread for this i do believe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolinGirl)
    Ah yes. I am managing 90% + on papers so far in chem, with 0 revision as I get it all the first time

Buffer systems ---> Yay!

Mix your weak acid, with salt of weak acid, to get large resevoirs of conjugate base and weak acid, and then through use of changes in equillibrum they minimise changes in PH...

Is there a chem one btw?
    I think this Chemistry paper is gonna be pretty full, not much time left to spare in the exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Falcon91)
    i thought u were revising buffer systems for bio and was like...What the heck lol.
    Someone doesn't remember january...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Falcon91)

@ViolinGirl - Im finding chemistry seeming deceiptively...much nicer than before as well and ive revised the majority of it. There is a chemistry thread for this i do believe.
    :P Well buffer systems were in bio for jan, e.g. to prevent the build up of lactate within muslces. It was actually what I wrote down for the dreaded seal question...lactate buffers.

Do you know the link to the thread?

I'm annoyed, because the past paper bank is not letting me access it, because it is now apparently a harmful website. So I can't get past papers.

ReputationRep:
    :P Well buffer systems were in bio for jan, e.g. to prevent the build up of lactate within muslces. It was actually what I wrote down for the dreaded seal question...lactate buffers.

I'm annoyed, because the past paper bank is not letting me access it, because it is now apparently a harmful website. So I can't get past papers.
    If you're looking for the OCR Chemistry thread, it's here.

Past paper Questions are in my original post and also here.

ReputationRep:

Ah well you see i didnt make that link because this paper was my downfall =[ mainly i know the facts as with this one, although now im making more links to different topics. Im doing OCR B Salters Chemistry the thread for that is not so big/good.

@Sakujo, there wont be a massive question on it anyway, the seal question was only 3 marks and the detail involved is not difficult now that i have actually covered buffer systems in chemistry and ive found detail in the book about this. That being said i am resitting this module and so i will probably cover it.

ReputationRep:
    Do we have to learn the experiments for evidence of auxins in control of apical dominance and giberellins and stem elogantaion?
    Im tempted to briefly learn them - Im so scared for this exam, they could could put in anything

And can someone explain to me how fight/flight responses are co-ordinated by nervous and edocrine systems? The book has too much information and i can barely remember it all

thanx

ReputationRep:

Buffer systems ---> Yay!

Is there a chem one btw?
    buffers yay? :eek2: i cant stand buffers just when i think i understand them i get confused again lol

ReputationRep:
    Meh ....

ReputationRep:
    ok guyys i cant take this. how much do they expect us to learn like are you serious. im going to commit suicide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The TSR Star.)
    ok guyys i cant take this. how much do they expect us to learn like are you serious. im going to commit suicide.
    No star don't giving up already? xD nah as long as you stick around this thread you should radiate as much as pollux. xD

ReputationRep:
    Alright people post any question you got except for behavior stuff WHICH I still need to work on .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The TSR Star.)
    #
    LOL but im with you theres there is far too much informtion to absorb into my tiny brain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CertifiedAngel)
    Do we have to learn the experiments for evidence of auxins in control of apical dominance and giberellins and stem elogantaion?
    Im tempted to briefly learn them - Im so scared for this exam, they could could put in anything

And can someone explain to me how fight/flight responses are co-ordinated by nervous and edocrine systems? The book has too much information and i can barely remember it all

thanx
    The experiments are not too bad to learn - theyre just about applying auxin and gibberellin and their effects as a whole on the growth of the stem.
    You do not need to know the detail of how they work in depth other than the stem elongation by cell division and cell elongation.

For the flight or fight response:

Basically the flight of fight response os co-ordinated by the autonomic NS which rallies the body for action:
    -Erector pilli muscles contract to make you look bigger
    -Increase in metabolic rate
    -Increased sweat production
    -Pupils dilate
    -Arterioles near the surface of the skin and to the gut constrict while those to the muscles and liver dilate to increase blood flow
    -Blood glucose levels increase
    -Heart rate and blood pressure increase
    -Ventilation rate + depth increase

The autonomic NS analyses a threat by size and aggression etc.
    When the stress response is initiated by the cerebrum understanding of a threat, the hyopthalamus is activated, this then causes the pituitary gland to produce a corticotropin releasing factor (CRF) which causes it to produce adreno-corticotropic hormone (ACTH) which goes to the adrenal cortex and causes a release of many (cortico)steroid hormones (some help resist stressors). In addition to this the hypothalamus stimulates the production of adrenaline by the adrenal medulla.

Stressor - a stimulus that causes the stress response. It causes wear and tear on the body's mental and physical resources.

The sympathetic nervous system is also activated and impulses activate the glands and smooth muscle constriction/dilation.

Thus all leads to an increased/heightened sense of awareness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    Alright people post any question you got except for behavior stuff WHICH I still need to work on .
    Same here. Ill ask you one and you post one for me too

Getting sick of learning all of this. still got those damn F214 units to learn as well (at least theyre shorter lol).

Explain the sliding filament model (i.e. contraction of skeletal muscle, exclude neuromusclar junctions).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 29, 2014
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.