Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The TSR Star.)
    who has finished revising?
    Kinda. Still got to look over mod 3 cause am not perfect with it yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolinGirl)
    Kinda. Still got to look over mod 3 cause am not perfect with it yet.
    wow...ive only just finished my first run through

ReputationRep:
    Explain how speciation can occur, and decribe the different barriers that allow this to occur.
    The book has a small bit on this so most of the listed stuff below is from the CGP page on it

Species - a group of similar organisms that can interbreed to produce fertile offspring
    Speciation - development of a new species

Speciation can occur when members of a population become geographically isolated by a barrier e.g. mountains, natural disasters such as floods and earthquakes too etc.

Basically when they become separated, conditions on the sides of the barrier will be different, leading to different phenotypic characteristics becoming more common as different ones provide and advantage on that side. Also mutations take place independently in each population. Eventually the change in alleles will have caused so much change, that they are now two different species.

The isolating mechanisms due to changes in genotype thus phenotype can be:
    -Reproductive - the genitelia may have changed so that the organisms cannot successfully mate
    -Behavioural - small populations may develop courtship rituals which arent used/attractive to main population
    -Seasonal - the groups may become sexually active at different times of the year/have different breeding seasons.

Can also be due to random mutation causing the above changes over time.

Describe how timber can be harvested sustainably (oh yes, the joy) soon enough we'll probs cover the syllabus asking these questions

ReputationRep:
    I just started revising *panics*

ReputationRep:
    arr I hate this exam. One of the most tedious module ever.

ohh and don't get me started on the frikin Biodiver$hitty....:hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    This is going a lot more slowly than I planned, it'll take until tomorrow to finish this at the very least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Falcon91)
    The book has a small bit on this so most of the listed stuff below is from the CGP page on it

Describe how timber can be harvested sustainably (oh yes, the joy) soon enough we'll probs cover the syllabus asking these questions
    Ah darn. I haven't done that bit yet. Well, I did but a while ago. I'm reveiwing it as of now...!

All I can remember is coppicing, and pollarding. But can't go into much detail..

Tell you what...how about I finish this module off, and we get back to the questioning on anything tomorrow. Then we can finish the whole book!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakujo)
    This is going a lot more slowly than I planned, it'll take until tomorrow to finish this at the very least.
    uh huh. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    The experiments are not too bad to learn - theyre just about applying auxin and gibberellin and their effects as a whole on the growth of the stem.
    You do not need to know the detail of how they work in depth other than the stem elongation by cell division and cell elongation.

For the flight or fight response:

Basically the flight of fight response os co-ordinated by the autonomic NS which rallies the body for action:
    -Erector pilli muscles contract to make you look bigger
    -Increase in metabolic rate
    -Increased sweat production
    -Pupils dilate
    -Arterioles near the surface of the skin and to the gut constrict while those to the muscles and liver dilate to increase blood flow
    -Blood glucose levels increase
    -Heart rate and blood pressure increase
    -Ventilation rate + depth increase

The autonomic NS analyses a threat by size and aggression etc.
    When the stress response is initiated by the cerebrum understanding of a threat, the hyopthalamus is activated, this then causes the pituitary gland to produce a corticotropin releasing factor (CRF) which causes it to produce adreno-corticotropic hormone (ACTH) which goes to the adrenal cortex and causes a release of many (cortico)steroid hormones (some help resist stressors). In addition to this the hypothalamus stimulates the production of adrenaline by the adrenal medulla.

Stressor - a stimulus that causes the stress response. It causes wear and tear on the body's mental and physical resources.

The sympathetic nervous system is also activated and impulses activate the glands and smooth muscle constriction/dilation.

Thus all leads to an increased/heightened sense of awareness.
    Thank you! Yeah the experiments aren't too bad

ReputationRep:
    Ah darn. I haven't done that bit yet. Well, I did but a while ago. I'm reveiwing it as of now...!

All I can remember is coppicing, and pollarding. But can't go into much detail..

Tell you what...how about I finish this module off, and we get back to the questioning on anything tomorrow. Then we can finish the whole book!
    Sure thing, hope your revision is coming along well. Seems like your going to know the entire unit by heart from the textbook! :eek3:

I think im done for today, been revising since like forever today.

ReputationRep:

Sure thing, hope your revision is coming along well. Seems like your going to know the entire unit by heart from the textbook! :eek3:

I think im done for today, feels like ive been revising forever today.

ReputationRep:

I think im done for today, been revising since like forever today.
    I've just begun

ReputationRep:
    I've just begun
    Haha, are you a person who works best at night then? :P

I fail at night, i cant seem to keep focussed. So i work from when i first wake until about...1pm and then stagger revision hours around till 7-8

ReputationRep:
    How can energy transfers between trophic levels be monitored?

Pyramids of Biomass

Collect all the organisms and put them into an oven at 80C until all the water in them has been evaporate, Doing this is destructive to the ecosystem so the wet mass is taken and dry mass estimated

Pyramids of Energy

Different species release different amounts of energy per unit mass so pyramid of energy preferred.

Burning the organism in a calorimeter and working out how much energy is released per gram (calculated from the temperature increase of a known mass of water)

Productivity

Works out how much energy is being passed on to next trophic level and gives an Idea of how much energy is available to the organisms at a particular trophic level per unit area, in a given amount of time and is measured in kilojoules/mega joules

Would you say thats about enough information for that?
    or do we need to go into more detail about the calorimeter etc

ReputationRep:
    Haha, are you a person who works best at night then? :P

I fail at night, i cant seem to keep focussed. So i work from when i first wake until about...1pm and then stagger revision hours around till 7-8
    Usually I procastinate until 6 when I realise I don't have many hours left to do work and kick it into hypergear (after dinner).

ReputationRep:
    Usually I procastinate until 6 when I realise I don't have many hours left to do work and kick it into hypergear (after dinner).

haha cool. Well good luck! grind it out and the book will be done before you realise

ReputationRep:
    haha cool. Well good luck! grind it out and the book will be done before you realise
    Pizza has been eaten :awesome:

Work begins now

ReputationRep:
    Pizza has been eaten :awesome:

Work begins now
    lol what you working on tonight?

Im thinking of pulling off an all nighter tonight, bah ill see how it all goes

ReputationRep:
    do we need to know just general aseptic techniques or do we need to know aseptic techniques at laboratory level and industrial scale.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chuck111)
    lol what you working on tonight?

Im thinking of pulling off an all nighter tonight, bah ill see how it all goes
    Ecosystems :nothing:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.