The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Blátönn
Much, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better overall. People recognise Nottingham as a truly superlative institution. Loughborough is good in a few subjects, otherwise . . . meh.

Yep, bang on.
Reply 21
Loughborough is great for engineering.
Reply 22
A good strategy is to choose a uni which is immediately associated with your course. For example when I hear Loughborough I think of Sport Science and Engineering , Nottingham - Law and Economics , Southampton - EEE and Computer Science etc.
Nottingham is more reputable than Loughborough and has a way better average rank, entry requirements, e.t.c
Reply 24
Nottingham without a doubt. Not much comparison between the two.
Oh please come on. Do some research yourseld before creating a thread like this. If you did you would soon find that there is no comparison between the two. Nottingham is one of the countries major and most important institutions and has had over the last 20 years some of the highest entry standards of any university and has been famous over the last 15 years for being the university 'with the stiffest competition for each place'. It is also touted as one of only 5 uni's that could go private and is one of our best know abroad (esp in Asia).

Loughborough is none of these things. It is a random uni that has suddenly shot up in peoples estimations because it has ranked well in the last 3-4 years because of student satisfactions. Bar that loughborough has given up nothing other than a few olympic medals.

In short, dont just look at rankings and assume loughorough must be really good. If you did this then im sure you would assume it was better than Edinburgh and Manchester as well, since it beats those comfortably in rankings - clearly it is not as good as those though.

What i love is that 5 years ago no one would have even thought to compare the two in the same bracket. Has Loughborough really made massive strides in 5 years - NO. It has simply ranked better and we all know that is due simply to student satisfaction. In fact, in the last ranking i looked at Nottingham beat Loughborough in ever single measure bar satisfaction yet Loughborough beat it by 4 places - stupid me thinks.

Shows that even though everyone on here may say they dont care about rankings, but they are subconsciously effecting us.
Reply 26
Isn't loughborough a cockfest, btw I'll go for Nottingham...
Reply 27
AfghanistanBananistan

Oh please come on. Do some research yourseld before creating a thread like this. If you did you would soon find that there is no comparison between the two. Nottingham is one of the countries major and most important institutions and has had over the last 20 years some of the highest entry standards of any university and has been famous over the last 15 years for being the university 'with the stiffest competition for each place'. It is also touted as one of only 5 uni's that could go private and is one of our best know abroad (esp in Asia).

Do high entry standards really reflect the quality of a course?

Loughborough is none of these things. It is a random uni that has suddenly shot up in peoples estimations because it has ranked well in the last 3-4 years because of student satisfactions. Bar that loughborough has given up nothing other than a few olympic medals.

It actually has very strong departments in engineering, sport and business.

What i love is that 5 years ago no one would have even thought to compare the two in the same bracket.Has Loughborough really made massive strides in 5 years - NO. It has simply ranked better and we all know that is due simply to student satisfaction.In fact, in the last ranking i looked at Nottingham beat Loughborough in ever single measure bar satisfaction yet Loughborough beat it by 4 places - stupid me thinks.

Sour grapes me thinks.

In summary,you're only opinion on Loughborough is based on rankings. Is that really sensible? I've seen other thread on this forum to do with Exeter, and again you seem do discard it as a uni just because of 'prestige'.

Now you may think I'm biased towards Loughborough because I've applied there. Most people know that there's more to uni's than rankings, and in conclusion the OP needs to visit both uni's to decide which one for him/her.
Since you are studying engineering go for Nottingham as you may work abroad in the future (very high demand of civil engineers over there) and Nottingham is well known in Asia whereas no one has heard of lufbra in Asia.
Reply 29
Loughborough for Civil engineering is much better than Nottingham. It varies from subject to subject though.

AfghanistanBananistan, how can you say "It is a random uni that has suddenly shot up in peoples estimations because it has ranked well in the last 3-4 years because of student satisfactions. Bar that loughborough has given up nothing other than a few olympic medals." On the main tables, Loughborough and Nottingham are pretty much neck and neck. How can you say they are not comparable? They very clearly are. Why do you have such a bitter view on Loughborough?
Reply 30
rick4236
Loughborough for Civil engineering is much better than Nottingham. It varies from subject to subject though.

AfghanistanBananistan, how can you say "It is a random uni that has suddenly shot up in peoples estimations because it has ranked well in the last 3-4 years because of student satisfactions. Bar that loughborough has given up nothing other than a few olympic medals." On the main tables, Loughborough and Nottingham are pretty much neck and neck. How can you say they are not comparable? They very clearly are. Why do you have such a bitter view on Loughborough?

How on earth can you compare universities based solely on league tables?

The Complete University League Table actually in itself makes a mockery of league tables by allowing you to modify the coefficient weightings given to each set of data so you can in essence create your own league table. Such actually enables one to push Exeter to 4th 'best' university in the country and have Oxford beaten by St Andrews. If you're really selective, you can even have Cambridge in 2nd and Oxford in 6th.
Reply 31
.ACS.
How on earth can you compare universities based solely on league tables?

The Complete University League Table actually in itself makes a mockery of league tables by allowing you to modify the coefficient weightings given to each set of data so you can in essence create your own league table. Such actually enables one to push Exeter to 4th 'best' university in the country and have Oxford beaten by St Andrews. If you're really selective, you can even have Cambridge in 2nd and Oxford in 6th.

You can't, but it's the easiest way of comparing them with some relevance. The thread starter wanted to know which university is better for engineering and Afghanistanbananistan responded to him like it was a stupid question and Loughborough is only ranked highly on league tables and not thought of very highly as a university. It goes without saying Loughborough is very good for engineering regardless of league tables.
Nottingham without a doubt.

Latest

Trending

Trending