Turn on thread page Beta

cost of masters degree watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I need to know how much it costs to do a masters degree in the uk? I'm a uk student. many thanks

ReputationRep:
    Over £9000.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by anon1212)
    Hi. I need to know how much it costs to do a masters degree in the uk? I'm a uk student. many thanks
    For the course fees, you can look at the Guardian table of international student fees, which lists the rates for home/EU students as well. It's not 100% accurate, but it should give you a rough idea. Obviously you'll need to add the costs for accommodation, food and whatever else you intend to spend money on to that, but those costs will vary depending on where you go, so it's not really possible to give you an exact figure. Usually university websites will contain some information on this, though.

ReputationRep:
    really? that's crazy. can you not get some kind of funding for it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    For the course fees, you can look at the Guardian table of international student fees, which lists the rates for home/EU students as well. It's not 100% accurate, but it should give you a rough idea. Obviously you'll need to add the costs for accommodation, food and whatever else you intend to spend money on to that, but those costs will vary depending on where you go, so it's not really possible to give you an exact figure. Usually university websites will contain some information on this, though.
    Thanks a lot! As far as I can tell its just the same...£3000 ish ....am i right in this? Also could you tell me whether its possible to do a masters degree in something completely different to my current degree which is geography

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot! As far as I can tell its just the same...£3000 ish ....am i right in this? Also could you tell me whether its possible to do a masters degree in something completely different to my current degree which is geography
    You could probably go into archaeology, geology, seismology, maybe even biology or chemistry with that, depending on on what the content of course was.

ReputationRep:
    cheapest is 9k for social sciences. increases to like nearly double for the more expensive disciplines.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Thanks a lot! As far as I can tell its just the same...£3000 ish ....am i right in this?
    More or less (apart from Oxford and Cambridge, where you'll have to pay around £2,000 in college fees as well). You should check university websites for the exact rates, though.
    Also could you tell me whether its possible to do a masters degree in something completely different to my current degree which is geography
    It depends on how different it is. There are no hard and fast rules for this, though, so you'd need to ask each individual department (provided the prospectus doesn't tell you whether your undergraduate degree meets the requirements, that is).

ReputationRep:
    More or less (apart from Oxford and Cambridge, where you'll have to pay around £2,000 in college fees as well). You should check university websites for the exact rates, though.

It depends on how different it is. There are no hard and fast rules for this, though, so you'd need to ask each individual department (provided the prospectus doesn't tell you whether your undergraduate degree meets the requirements, that is).
    Ok , i'll be doing that, cheers

ReputationRep:
    What are college fees? Is that for food and board?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the course. Can cost over £20k at LSE.

ReputationRep:
    Do an undergrad masters, you get paid to do it...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Blátönn)
    What are college fees? Is that for food and board?
    No, those are battels. College fees go towards maintaining the collegiate system (which is rather costly), as far as I know.

ReputationRep:
    really? that's crazy. can you not get some kind of funding for it?
    No. There are no grants available at all. All you can hope for is to apply for a bursary for your fees. There aren't many of them about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Do an undergrad masters, you get paid to do it...
    sadly not an equivalent qualification to a postgrad masters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    sadly not an equivalent qualification to a postgrad masters.
    Which matters when?

What can you do with an MSc that you can't do with an MSci?

ReputationRep:
    Apply to any half decent employer who wants a proper masters qualification.

ReputationRep:
    Depending on what you want to do, you might want to look into funding offered by research councils etc. Some do offer masters studentships (covers fees + living costs, or sometimes part fee/living costs), although many others allocate funding to departments for masters courses, to do with what they like (which is not very often at all used to provide studentships).

For example, the NERC (Natural Environment Research Council) has a list of courses they have masters studentships for, if you're looking at something somewhat related to your original degree. http://www.nerc.ac.uk/funding/availa...sters/2009.asp

ReputationRep:
    Totally depends on the course you do and where you do it.
    The prices between York and Edinburgh and LSE (which are the three places I'm currently considering) are drastically different.

There are ways to get some sort of funding, but you have to apply for it and it tends to be very competitive. Sometimes the universities offer some sort of grants, but they tend not to cover everything. There are loans you can take out - the Career Development Loan, for example - but you don't get a standard loan like you do for undergrad studies.
    Some companies will fund you to do a Masters, if it's related to the business you're doing - I have a friend who's doing Geology, and has been offered a job in a company, alongside them funding a part-time Masters course for him.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm. I think I'll just leave it. Cost is too much. Sad

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.