Turn on thread page Beta

cost of masters degree watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    Apply to any half decent employer who wants a proper masters qualification.
    I was looking for an example, just one.

ReputationRep:
    It cost me about £8k in total, including living expenses and tuition fees. I was able to cover it through (small) bursaries, loans and saved up money.

ReputationRep:
    The AHRC think it costs around £8-10k for maintenance and around £3k for tuition fees. That's for subjects like English and History - might be different for other courses. I had a bit of money left over from my funded masters, so it may not cost quite that much. I think, in reality, you'll need to save £8k at the very least. It's worth applying for research council funding if you have the grades. I never thought I'd get it but I'm glad now that I took a shot. I'd be cautious about applying for the Career Development Loan, however. Some universities also run 'funding workshops' which help you find alternative means of funding (usually cobbled together from different sources) if you miss out on the big awards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anon1212)
    Hmmm. I think I'll just leave it. Cost is too much. Sad
    You could always study part time, it'll take longer but you may save some money in the short term

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wyrd14)
    I'd be cautious about applying for the Career Development Loan, however.
    Just wondering - how come?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doodahdoo)
    Just wondering - how come?
    Well, from what I understand you have to start paying it back as soon as the course finishes. Unlike a student loan, you have to start making repayments whether you're in a £15k+ job or not. The bank will just want their money, regardless. The CDL can therefore work well if you're certain your masters will land you a good job the moment you graduate. Otherwise, you could find yourself in financial difficulties. That's my understanding of it, anyway. But I've never taken one out, so other people may contradict me with positive experiences.

I think the better option would be to study part-time and work part-time (or full-time, if you have the energy), paying as you go.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.