Turn on thread page Beta

Can a bill be introduced to Parliament by any party watch

ReputationRep:
    Does the government have to propose a bill to be voted on or can it be any mp/party?

As far as I know. Is it not back-benchers who usually do this? :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Bills can be introduced by the legislature of via private members bills, which are determined by ballot for backbenchers at the beginning of the parliamentary year. However, the bill is unlikely to gain support, and most PMBs fail.

ReputationRep:
    Private members bills can be initiated by anyone in parliament AFAIK, but general bills are of course initiated by the government.

EDIT: What Muffinz said.

ReputationRep:
    There is no real limit on which MP or Peer can introduce a bill. Government Ministers will usually introduce Government Bills, with individual MP's introducing Private Members Bills.

So any Party can introduce a bill to Parliament. In the case of the Scottish Parliament, this is even greater. Private Individuals (for example, Charities and Private Companies) can introduce a bill for Consideration by the 129-member Parliament.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffinz)
    Bills can be introduced by the legislature of via private members bills, which are determined by ballot for backbenchers at the beginning of the parliamentary year. However, the bill is unlikely to gain support, and most PMBs fail.
    whats the difference between a private members bill and a general bill, other than that PMBs are initiated by MPs (dunno if i've got that right)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna_disraeli)
    whats the difference between a private members bill and a general bill, other than that PMBs are initiated by MPs (dunno if i've got that right)?
    Normal bills are initiated by the executive and usually pass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.Beall)
    There is no real limit on which MP or Peer can introduce a bill. Government Ministers will usually introduce Government Bills, with individual MP's introducing Private Members Bills.

So any Party can introduce a bill to Parliament. In the case of the Scottish Parliament, this is even greater. Private Individuals (for example, Charities and Private Companies) can introduce a bill for Consideration by the 129-member Parliament.
    Sorry to have to break this to you, but do you realise that 'Private bills' are not a Scottish Parliament invention? Bills which affect an organisation can quite legitimately be put before Parliament (the United Kingdom's Parliament)

The Imperial College Act 1997, HBOS Group Reorganisation Act 2006, University of Manchester Act 2004, for instance. Though there are many thousands such Acts of Parliament.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna_disraeli)
    Have a look at http://www.parliament.uk/about/how/laws.cfm

"Public" or "Government" Bills are introduced to Parliament by the Government - normally by the Secretary of State of the department introducing the legislation. Most of the hardcore debating and detailed responses will be delegated to junior ministers, supported by a team of civil servants.

Private Members' Bills - see http://www.parliament.uk/about/how/l...te_members.cfm

I worked on a piece of legislation in my current department, seeing it evolve from policy through to legislation. It's fascinating to see how laws are made - and also worrying to see the weaknesses of Parliament in its ability to hold the executive properly to account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnythingButChardonnay)
    Sorry to have to break this to you, but do you realise that 'Private bills' are not a Scottish Parliament invention? Bills which affect an organisation can quite legitimately be put before Parliament (the United Kingdom's Parliament)

The Imperial College Act 1997, HBOS Group Reorganisation Act 2006, University of Manchester Act 2004, for instance. Though there are many thousands such Acts of Parliament.

The Bill which I refer to is proposed by an Organisation through Committee. If it is supported, it can then be deliberated at Parliament level. I know my Parliamentary procedures in Scotland.

The point I am making is that in Scotland, we have more recent examples to draw upon.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.