Turn on thread page Beta

How hard is Maths HL? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Questions in the title really. Will have an AS in Maths by the end of year 11 so that could be factored into it.

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    :bump:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Please don't triple post.

ReputationRep:
    As above - bumping every 20 mins is unnecessary.

AS maths will benefit you greatly for HL Maths as there is some overlap. Once you start covering new material though everything will start to seem harder. To complete the course in time HL Maths goes at an alarming pace. If you keep up with the work set outside of lessons you'll be fine. People who don't suffer badly and are the ones that are always moaning about how hard it is.

ReputationRep:
    Hard. There is a lot of material, you'll be working right up until classes end, and if you don't keep up you'll be in trouble. Unless you need it for what you want to study and/or are interested in maths for its own sake, take SL.

Case in point: if I recall correctly, last year's HL Paper 2 had a grade boundary of 61% for a seven.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing HL maths and finding it pretty tricky. This is mostly because my teachers are really bad (which I found out WAY too late). It is quite a lot of work, but you are obviously a talented mathematician as you are doing AS so, if you like maths / need it for uni, I'd say go for it. Just know that it will be quite hard.
    However, because it is so hard I am finding it a very rewarding subject to do. Also, we get to go into more depth and do some really interesting topics that aren't covered in AS or A level.
    Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Ah well, I'm in my first year of Higher Level Maths

I came to it straight from GCSE maths + statistics, so I found it a big leap.
    I can also confess to being terrible at maths.

BUT I really enjoy the course and I'm not finding it too difficult.

This is because I refuse to listen people who say it's impossible,
    and I do a lot of extra revision in my spare time on what we've covered

I don't think it's impossibledifficult, ...it's difficult, but in that good challenging way.

Frankly, IB higher levels are never going to be easy.

My two cents

ReputationRep:
    Hello toblerone93,

I actually saw this thread and decided to make an account to respond lol.
    I want to help people as much as possible in deciding whether or not to take higher level math.

Firstly, a little background, I'm currently in grade 11 and completed 1 of 3 (2.5 semesters totally really) of HL math.
    In grade 10 I had a 96 in math so I thought I'd be able to do well in HL math.

Prior to joining a group came in and warned us about the HL math exam. They told us it's very hard, and not like a conventional knowledge exam.
    Rather, it's more based on how well you can solve problems and improvise than a test of knowledge.

Our teacher gives us unit tests and she often takes questions from previous exams, in order to help us for the future exam.
    I can tell you that many people who previously had marks in the 88-98 range last year experienced a dramatic drop.
    They went from, for example, 95 to 68. I'm not saying this to scare you, I just want to present the reality of HL math.

If you enjoy math and you feel you are good at problem solving, then HL math is for you.
    However, it is a time consumer, as you must constantly keep up with the work. If you fall behind, you're pretty much done.

Therefore, I encourage you to ask yourself whether or not you could keep up with the work, and the fact that you may not achieve a high 90 for the first little while. Are you okay with getting a 70 on a test that you TRULY studied for? Are you okay with a test that is based on problem solving rather than simply repeating a question that a teacher does?

HL Math is all about taking a variety of concepts and using them to solve one question. If you're confident with your math abilities; go for it, otherwise, I'd give it a second thought. I hope I've helped.

ReputationRep:
    but hey, 70%, that's a 7 if we go by the 61% grade boundary

if you're worried about the papers then get hold of the question banks and go through ALL, and I mean ALL of the past paper questions if you want to do well.

The questions on each topic are fairly samey; get the technique right for one, it's the same for all but with different numbers.

I'm not saying getting the technique is easy, i'm just trying to point out this course isn't impossible as everyone likes to make out it is.

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.