Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay been meaning to start this thread for a while

I have been going to the gym for about half a year and have seen slight gains...but I am still far skinnier than I want to be.

After reading the sticky on bulking
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...6&postcount=10

Basically I have to....

1.Eat much, much more
    2.Go to the gym

This is my workout
    http://www.abercrombieworkout.com/fi...phase-two.html

I aim to go around 3 times per week. Any other ideas, care to share your wisdom .etc.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    You're not going to get big doing an Abercrombie workout. Do a proper workout. And eat like a bodybuilder if you want to look like a bodybuilder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by korektphool)
    You're not going to get big doing an Abercrombie workout. Do a proper workout. And eat like a bodybuilder if you want to look like a bodybuilder.
    Yeah I guessed it was a bit ****, care to link me to a proper one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    Yeah I guessed it was a bit ****, care to link me to a proper one?
    Of course. I would recommend Starting Strength by Ripptoe. You can read all about it here: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi..._Strength_Wiki

The idea behind it is that with strength, comes size. You'll notice it has only 5 exercises (no ****** isolation exercises) that are all compound exercises.

Eat lots, and when you finish the programme (ie. when you are big and lifting heavy weights) you can then do a bodybuilder's routine.

ReputationRep:
    Of course. I would recommend Starting Strength by Ripptoe. You can read all about it here: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi..._Strength_Wiki

The idea behind it is that with strength, comes size. You'll notice it has only 5 exercises (no ****** isolation exercises) that are all compound exercises.

Eat lots, and when you finish the programme (ie. when you are big and lifting heavy weights) you can then do a bodybuilder's routine.
    Okay thanks.

How much food are we talking?

ReputationRep:
    I don't even need to look at the Abercrombie workout to tell you it's a bad idea. Do Starting Strength or similar - anything that focuses on doing plenty of big compound movements and no faffing with little isolation exercises or accessory exercises when you're a beginner.

Eat a lot. I'm not talking about making sure you have bigger portions of your normal food, I'm talking about adding in extra meals and snacks wherever you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    Okay thanks.

How much food are we talking?
    The wiki says this:

"It takes approximately 3500 calories above maintenance to add a pound of bodyweight in a week (3500 calories/7 days = 500 calories/day)."

Thus you would need to calculate your maintenance number of calories per day and add 500 to that.

Basically just eat a ******** of food all the time, everyday. To look like a strong guy you have to eat like a strong guy.

Ripptoe recommends a gallon of milk a day. I'm on the programme myself, and I aspire to this someday. (I currently get in over 4 pints of milk everyday.)

Why not?

ReputationRep:
    I am currently bulking, and I consume upwards of 5000 calories per day.

15% of gains are made in the gym, 85% in the kitchen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    Why not?
    Look at it. It's a bad workout plan, especially so in comparison to SS.

Explain what is so bad at it.

ReputationRep:
    It isn't terrible, it seems to work every body area right? No deadlift yeah but it isn't that bad. But yeah I'll look at starting strength.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrBez)
    I am currently bulking, and I consume upwards of 5000 calories per day.

15% of gains are made in the gym, 85% in the kitchen.
    How do you manage that? How many meals?

ReputationRep:
    Explain what is so bad at it.
    Both Wednesday's workout and Friday's workout has some variation of curls in it. Etc.

If you think it's good go ahead and do it; nobody's stopping you.

ReputationRep:
    That Abercrombie workout actually isn't terrible, but it's still unbalanced and some elements of it are a bit stupid and you would still be better in your position hitting SS.

Both Wednesday's workout and Friday's workout has some variation of curls in it. Etc.

If you think it's good go ahead and do it; nobody's stopping you.

Ok, I might just to prove there is nothing wrong with it.

ReputationRep:
    I aim to consume 4-5 solid meals, along with 3 shakes per day.

An example daily intake:

Meal 1 - 300Ml Milk, 3 Eggs, 50G Peanut Butter, 100G Oats, 50G Protein - Blended together

Meal 2 - 2 Wraps, 150G Chicken in each, Lettuce and 30G Cheese

Meal 3 - 250G Chicken, 80G Brown Rice, 160G Veg

Meal 4 - Same as meal 3

Train

Post Workout Shake - 50G Protein and 80G Waxy Maize Starch directly after training and Banana

Meal 5 - 350G Sweet Potato, 300G Fish, 160G Veg

Meal 6 - 300Ml Milk, 3 Eggs, 50G Peanut Butter, 100G Oats, 50G Protein - Blended together

Meal 7 - 300G Cottage Cheese, 4 Rice Cakes

This is just an example I have written up extremely quick, but I often carry one or two wraps with me just incase I get hungry, as one wrap provides 35G Carbs, 30G Protein, and around 400 Calories.

ReputationRep:

Ok, I might just to prove there is nothing wrong with it.
    Good luck bro.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    That Abercrombie workout actually isn't terrible, but it's still unbalanced and some elements of it are a bit stupid and you would still be better in your position hitting SS.
    This right?

http://www.startingstrength.net/workouts/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrBez)
    I aim to consume 4-5 solid meals, along with 3 shakes per day.

An example daily intake:

Meal 1 - 300Ml Milk, 3 Eggs, 50G Peanut Butter, 100G Oats, 50G Protein - Blended together

Meal 2 - 2 Wraps, 150G Chicken in each, Lettuce and 30G Cheese

Meal 3 - 250G Chicken, 80G Brown Rice, 160G Veg

Meal 4 - Same as meal 3

Train

Post Workout Shake - 50G Protein and 80G Waxy Maize Starch directly after training and Banana

Meal 5 - 350G Sweet Potato, 300G Fish, 160G Veg

Meal 6 - 300Ml Milk, 3 Eggs, 50G Peanut Butter, 100G Oats, 50G Protein - Blended together

Meal 7 - 300G Cottage Cheese, 4 Rice Cakes

This is just an example I have written up extremely quick, but I often carry one or two wraps with me just incase I get hungry, as one wrap provides 35G Carbs, 30G Protein, and around 400 Calories.
    Thanks mate, might make myself a meal diary thing based around that.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.