Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    As said above, increase your calorie intake by 500 calories per day.

Weigh yourself Monday morning on an empty stomach, and then do the same again 7 days later. See if you have made any progress. If you feel like you can, increase it by another 500 calories.

Peanut butter is good for bulking, as 100G includes around 600 calories and 25G protein. Yes, there is around 48G fat, but these are good fats. If you buy PB, make sure you get the whole earth stuff, usually in Tesco.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrBez)
    As said above, increase your calorie intake by 500 calories per day.

Weigh yourself Monday morning on an empty stomach, and then do the same again 7 days later. See if you have made any progress. If you feel like you can, increase it by another 500 calories.

Peanut butter is good for bulking, as 100G includes around 600 calories and 25G protein. Yes, there is around 48G fat, but these are good fats. If you buy PB, make sure you get the whole earth stuff, usually in Tesco.
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrBez)
    I aim to consume 4-5 solid meals, along with 3 shakes per day.

An example daily intake:

Meal 1 - 300Ml Milk, 3 Eggs, 50G Peanut Butter, 100G Oats, 50G Protein - Blended together

Meal 2 - 2 Wraps, 150G Chicken in each, Lettuce and 30G Cheese

Meal 3 - 250G Chicken, 80G Brown Rice, 160G Veg

Meal 4 - Same as meal 3

Train

Post Workout Shake - 50G Protein and 80G Waxy Maize Starch directly after training and Banana

Meal 5 - 350G Sweet Potato, 300G Fish, 160G Veg

Meal 6 - 300Ml Milk, 3 Eggs, 50G Peanut Butter, 100G Oats, 50G Protein - Blended together

Meal 7 - 300G Cottage Cheese, 4 Rice Cakes

This is just an example I have written up extremely quick, but I often carry one or two wraps with me just incase I get hungry, as one wrap provides 35G Carbs, 30G Protein, and around 400 Calories.
    I very much respect you for eating all this.

Can I get an idea of your weekly food bills?

ReputationRep:
    I buy my chicken and fish from the butchers, and I spend around £30 a week on meat. Often I will buy one nice cut of steak, for perhaps an extra £7.

The rest is around £15-£20, on potato, veg, 6 cottage cheese, wraps, rice, seasoning and one or two sauces.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrBez)
    I buy my chicken and fish from the butchers, and I spend around £30 a week on meat. Often I will buy one nice cut of steak, for perhaps an extra £7.

The rest is around £15-£20, on potato, veg, 6 cottage cheese, wraps, rice, seasoning and one or two sauces.
    thats a phuck load of food if you realy eat that

ReputationRep:
    I used to eat more when I was bigger! I would go through 60 eggs a week, 5 kg of chicken (but I wasn't eating fish then). Now I am just bulking at a slower rate. Honestly, you get used to it, it just takes dedication.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    Okay been meaning to start this thread for a while

I have been going to the gym for about half a year and have seen slight gains...but I am still far skinnier than I want to be.

After reading the sticky on bulking
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...6&postcount=10

Basically I have to....

1.Eat much, much more
    2.Go to the gym

This is my workout
    http://www.abercrombieworkout.com/fi...phase-two.html

I aim to go around 3 times per week. Any other ideas, care to share your wisdom .etc.

Thanks
    Consider changing something in your routine. For example, increase your rep range, I personally found 12-15 good for increasing mass. Maybe increase the number of sets per exercise and drop a couple of the more 'trivial' exercises, like leg extensions for example. Or, bring in some new exercises and drop some of the older ones which don't give you results.

ReputationRep:
    I would also look into the Bill Star 5x5 program.

Complemented with the correct diet, you would see some nice gains over 12 weeks.

The routine concentrates on compound lifts. After 12 weeks, you could change routine and add isolation lifts.

ReputationRep:
    Dont mean to hijack this thread, but I have read its good idea to have protein before you go to sleep, so you dont lose muscle mass....

therefore would it be suitable to have a bowl of oats (protein) about 2 hours before I go to bed?

Thank You

ReputationRep:
    Oats isn't protein, oats is a complex carbohydrate.

You could have a shake before bed, or some eggs, but personally I eat cottage cheese before I jump into bed as this is casein protein, which in simple terms is a slow digesting protein therefore the protein release is slow, perfect for when you are sleeping.

ReputationRep:
    Sort your diet out from the second you finish reading this post.
    Get to the gym on the first planned day of your SS week. [eg., if youre going Mon, Wed, Fri, go and start in two days time.]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrBez)
    Oats isn't protein, oats is a complex carbohydrate.

You could have a shake before bed, or some eggs, but personally I eat cottage cheese before I jump into bed as this is casein protein, which in simple terms is a slow digesting protein therefore the protein release is slow, perfect for when you are sleeping.
    Thanks.

Would having oats before bed be a bad idea then?

Cheers

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.