Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    We have an ISA tomorrow and I have no idea what it's about but we've been told we should know all of the chemical tests from GCSE to A level. The only one I can remember is the halide test as that was done in the last unit. What other ones are there? I believe there is one with limewater and one where theres a pop but im not entirely sure, and I need to make sure I know every single one off by heart.

ReputationRep:
    Aldehyde = Tollens - Silver Mirror

Alkene = Bromine water - Decolourises

Haloalkane = Heat with NaOH, acidify with HNO3, test will AgNO3 - ppt forms depending on halide.

Carboxylic acids = NaHCO3 - CO2 effervesence produced

Acyl Chlorides = AgNO3 - white ppt formed

Different alcohols = Acidified Potassium dichromate and H2SO4 - product will be different for primary, secondary, tertiary.

ReputationRep:
    The Limewater one is where you pass a gas through Limewater: if it turns cloudy/ a precipitate forms, then that indicates the gas is Carbon Dioxide. The Pop test is where you get the gas in the test tube, then quickly shove a glowing splint in there, and if it pops that indicates the presence of Hydrogen. There's also the test for Unsaturation, which is that Bromine water is turned colourless by a compound if it's unsaturated. Those are all I can think of at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    The Limewater one is where you pass a gas through Limewater: if it turns cloudy/ a precipitate forms, then that indicates the gas is Carbon Dioxide. The Pop test is where you get the gas in the test tube, then quickly shove a glowing splint in there, and if it pops that indicates the presence of Hydrogen. There's also the test for Unsaturation, which is that Bromine water is turned colourless by a compound if it's unsaturated. Those are all I can think of at the moment.
    Oxygen re-lights a glowing splint, too. :wizard:

ReputationRep:
    Test for Oxygen gas = burn a splint, wave it off so the end goes black, put the black end near oxygen gas and it should light up

Test for chlorine = litmus paper turns red and then the chlorine bleaches the paper white

ReputationRep:
    what exam board are you with? i know edexcel have a mini specification for the assessed practicals on their website. it contains everything you need to know.

ReputationRep:
    OCR, thanks guys, I'll read through all of them .

ReputationRep:
    Also, what do I get if I add a water to a group 7 hydroxide?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.