Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    And if so, would they know the link?
    I'm on the hunt for a tongue in cheek view of university, to use in my English Language coursework. I know they'll be one out there on the internet, but i cant for the life of me find it.
    Has anyone read anything similar, or along the lines of, that would be able to help?
    Thank you xx

ReputationRep:
    well..... on facebook there's groups like "Things ucas didnt tell you about university", "100 truths about univeristy" etc, that are quite good, if that's the sort of thing you mean. Maybe check them out?

ReputationRep:
    "Porterhouse Blue" and related books by Tom Whathisname were amusing, as was "Starter for Ten" by David Nicholls.

ReputationRep:
    The opening scenes of Decline and Fall by Evelyn Waugh satirise a typical Oxbridge college.

ReputationRep:
    http://insiders.aber.ac.uk/blog/aled/

>,>

Sorry, if this qualifies for 'shameless promotion' but nobody reads them anyway. Was given a free laptop for it though...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    There's www.phdcomics.com, its technically about PhD students' lives but its close :p:. (though it is a comic :shifty:)

ReputationRep:
    look on the facebook groups "why uni is like primary school" "you know you're a uni student when" "what ucas never told you about uni"

ReputationRep:
    You join societies but never turn up to the meetings.

You become an alcoholic for three years.

Bedtime at 2am is an early night.

A 2pm lecture feels like an early morning.

Despite having to endure 6 hours at school every day in former years, a one hour seminar drains you as much as 10 hours would.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Piled Higher and Deeper (PHD comics), if you're allowed to use such things. :p:

There's also a quote: "Lecture (n.): The process by which the notes of the lecturer become the notes of the student without passing through the mind of either". Can't remember who said it though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    "Porterhouse Blue" and related books by Tom Whathisname were amusing, as was "Starter for Ten" by David Nicholls.
    :woo: He went to my college. Never read it though, might check it out of the college library tomorrow (I'm assuming the have it; it would be a bit stupid if they didn't)!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.