Turn on thread page Beta

A little logic about god to go among the cr*p.. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as there's so many monotonously boring threads today, I thought Id give you something to think about. I read this somewhere recently and thought I would share it with you. It's a little flawed but is correct according to the laws of propositional loigic.

If god is unable to prevent evil, then god is impotent.

If god is unwilling to prevent evil, then god is malevolent.

If god exists, then according to the bible, god is neither impotent nor malevolent.

If god is neither impotent nor malevolent then there is no evil.

There is evil.

Therefore, god does not exist.

I think it's pretty common so you may have seen it before.

ReputationRep:
    Oh just be a christian scientist and claim that There is no good or evil in the world !!!

*giggles*

ReputationRep:
    This thread should be included then cos its a load of c**p

ReputationRep:

I think it's pretty common so you may have seen it before.[/QUOTE]

So who made us.....the universe? I dont think so if you look around we are given signs of gods creation....trees,animals etc there is a god out there ...........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris_)
    Seeing as there's so many monotonously boring threads today, I thought Id give you something to think about. I read this somewhere recently and thought I would share it with you. It's a little flawed but is correct according to the laws of propositional loigic.

If god exists, then according to the bible, god is neither impotent nor malevolent.

There is evil.

Ive heard this before. And also Ive seen how 1+1=0 can be made to be true. Its all hypothesis.

ReputationRep:
    we looked at that argument in RE.

"Maybe God doesn't know about suffering" -> "Maybe he isn't all-knowing"
    "Maybe God can't stop suffering" -> "Maybe he isn't powerful"
    "Maybe God doesn't care about suffering" -> "Maybe he hates us"

"Hang on a minute..."

"Maybe God doesn't exist."

ReputationRep:
    Come on everyone, does noone have any faith

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nafisa)
    So who made us.....the universe? I dont think so if you look around we are given signs of gods creation....trees,animals etc there is a god out there ...........
    I said it was flawed and only correct to the laws of propositional logic. It's quite a common example but like i also said, is quite flawed.

ReputationRep:
    Come on everyone, does noone have any faith

Don't worry its the ppl of today

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala)
    Have you never come across a theodicy?
    Yes, i was just trying to share something a bit more insightful than the 'who is the most senior member...' crap that seems to be dictating the board. Threre is no pleasing some people :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Babygal)
    Don't worry its the ppl of today
    He dont diss God today its sunday does nobody pray or anything on sundays (a holy day)

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I think it is from Epicurus:

"If God is willing to prevent evil but not able, then he is impotent. If he is able but not willing, then he is malevolent. If he is both able and willing, whence then is evil?"

It's great. It's one of the principal reasons I am an atheist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Yes, I think it is from Epicurus:

"If God is willing to prevent evil but not able, then he is impotent. If he is able but not willing, then he is malevolent. If he is both able and willing, whence then is evil?"

I'm agnostic. How can we know, and who gives a **** anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    I'm agnostic. How can we know, and who gives a **** anyway?
    well clearly you do else you wouldnt have replied.

ReputationRep:

SO who made us.....the universe? I dont think so if you look around we are given signs of gods creation....trees,animals etc there is a god out there ...........
    If there has to be something that made everything then who made that something in the first place. Also, even if there is something that made everything do you really think you will meet it when you die.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    How do you justify your atheism? The side of not belief is not conclusive either...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    well clearly you do else you wouldnt have replied.
    Sorry.

I meant "who really cares about whether there is a God, it doesn't really change that much does it?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael Beaver)

If there has to be something that made everything then who made that something in the first place.
    Again it depends on what you thin causality is, I personally don't need as much explaination to explain the causes of a God, than the existence of the universe without a God.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris_)

There is evil.

That's not a very logical argument; it assumes that evil's existence contradicts God's predicates but doesn't give any real explanation why...

ReputationRep:
    It seems so obvious to me that we just believe in God through evolution etc...

I dont understand why nobody else sees it that way. I understand that our in built belief wouldn't work if we knew that it was all made up which is why you have to think about it rather than it being an instinctive thought. But dont you think its obvious that its just something that we need to believe in to survive.

Its like when you walk into the woods when its dark its really creepy. Thats a built in instinctive reaction because it has saved millions of apes and <neanderthols> from being eaten alive so its a function of our brain to assume there is something creepy there when we cant see.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.